BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2019 5AS Pkg City collision mitigation not working?!?

03-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
flyingupfront
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

2019 5AS Pkg City collision mitigation not working?!?

Just purchased a 2019 X1 produced in 12/18 with the 5AS Actice Driving Assistant package. Tested letting the car roll into a few cones and garbage cans and each time the car did not stop. It did alert on the parking sensors but not on the active mitigation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a minimum speed for the car to activate the mitigation?

Below is directly from the BMAw site showing package 5AS has mitigation in all 2019 X1s. Any thoughts would be great!

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3408&mid=

2019 BMW X1
The 2019 BMW X1 began production on 11/2018.

Standard Equipment now includes:
Driving Assistance Package is now standard as the Active Driving Assistant. Was previously optional. Included: Automatic high beams, Speed limit info, Lane Departure warning, Forward Collision warning and City collision mitigation.
Park Distance Control is now standard. Was previously a stand-alone option.
Advanced Real Time Traffic is now standard. Was part of Premium Package.
Remote Services are now standard. Were previously part of Premium Package.
Business Navigation is now standard. Was previously a stand-alone option.
Apple CarPlay with 1 year trial is now standard with navigation. Was previously a stand-alone option.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingupfront View Post
Just purchased a 2019 X1 produced in 12/18 with the 5AS Actice Driving Assistant package. Tested letting the car roll into a few cones and garbage cans and each time the car did not stop. It did alert on the parking sensors but not on the active mitigation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a minimum speed for the car to activate the mitigation?

Below is directly from the BMAw site showing package 5AS has mitigation in all 2019 X1s. Any thoughts would be great!

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3408&mid=

2019 BMW X1
The 2019 BMW X1 began production on 11/2018.

Standard Equipment now includes:
Driving Assistance Package is now standard as the Active Driving Assistant. Was previously optional. Included: Automatic high beams, Speed limit info, Lane Departure warning, Forward Collision warning and City collision mitigation.
Park Distance Control is now standard. Was previously a stand-alone option.
Advanced Real Time Traffic is now standard. Was part of Premium Package.
Remote Services are now standard. Were previously part of Premium Package.
Business Navigation is now standard. Was previously a stand-alone option.
Apple CarPlay with 1 year trial is now standard with navigation. Was previously a stand-alone option.
I have the same option. Never tried with the objects. But I have read the article where X 1 failed the test among other cars. Only once the car on my right side closed in towards my lane and the car braked really hard. I think camera based systems are not as reliable as radar and camera combinations.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hi
I will not comment on the effectiveness or otherwise of the F48 5AS systems, there are various threads and posts included results of public safety agency testing, many are critical. I will suggest two things, firstly do a VIN check on your car build options just to make sure what is actually built into the car. You can use sites like

https://www.mdecoder.com/

Second suggestion, if 5AS is in the car build the just check using Idrive (or if you have it, the green safety system button) that the various systems are switched on because some can be disabled.
Hope you enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:25 AM   #4
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Mine has S5AVA Active Guard.
      03-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #5
flyingupfront
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Just confirmed it does have S5AS. Also according to all publications from BMW all 2019 My X1s have auto braking. What’s unclear to me is if there is a min speed to test the system. Maybe I’ll throw up some cones at approach them at 10 mph.

Within the idrive it just shows three options:
Frontal collision warning
Lane departure
Pedestrian warning

Doesn’t say anything in the options about braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hi
I will not comment on the effectiveness or otherwise of the F48 5AS systems, there are various threads and posts included results of public safety agency testing, many are critical. I will suggest two things, firstly do a VIN check on your car build options just to make sure what is actually built into the car. You can use sites like

https://www.mdecoder.com/

Second suggestion, if 5AS is in the car build the just check using Idrive (or if you have it, the green safety system button) that the various systems are switched on because some can be disabled.
Hope you enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingupfront View Post
Just confirmed it does have S5AS. Also according to all publications from BMW all 2019 My X1s have auto braking. What’s unclear to me is if there is a min speed to test the system. Maybe I’ll throw up some cones at approach them at 10 mph.

Within the idrive it just shows three options:
Frontal collision warning
Lane departure
Pedestrian warning

Doesn’t say anything in the options about braking.
You may find the technical training thread from sticky helpful. He has listed various BMW technical docs including for driver aids.
I have tried to give you a direct link below
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1443221546

My understanding is that the camera based system has two separate modes, one for vehicle collision avoidance (which is the only one as std on my EU spec car) and a separate additional one for which is included with 5AS, namely pedestrian avoidance (which I understand from some threads may be less reliable). A 15kmph (approx 10 mph) min speed is mentioned in one section and in another section it refers to the camera system working range of 5 - 85 kmph.
Anyhow hope this helps.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-04-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

My 2019 owner's manual gives the same speed range for the pedestrian warning with braking (10-60 km/h, or 5-35 mph) as the technical document but has a different range for collision avoidance with braking (the manual says 5-60 km/h, or 3-35 mph, but the tech doc says it'll work up to 85 km/h). Could be they've tweaked how the collision avoidance works since the technical document was written back in 2015.

The other factor is obviously whether the object in front of the car is the right size and shape to be detected by the system even if you're above the trigger speed. I've found it to be pretty conservative; you really have to be approaching another vehicle pretty quickly for the red warning icon to pop up in the HUD, and I've never had the "acute" warning where it actually decided to apply the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
My 2019 owner's manual gives the same speed range for the pedestrian warning with braking (10-60 km/h, or 5-35 mph) as the technical document but has a different range for collision avoidance with braking (the manual says 5-60 km/h, or 3-35 mph, but the tech doc says it'll work up to 85 km/h). Could be they've tweaked how the collision avoidance works since the technical document was written back in 2015.

The other factor is obviously whether the object in front of the car is the right size and shape to be detected by the system even if you're above the trigger speed. I've found it to be pretty conservative; you really have to be approaching another vehicle pretty quickly for the red warning icon to pop up in the HUD, and I've never had the "acute" warning where it actually decided to apply the brakes.
This is what IIHS tests in USA found. Previous links posted on this forum appear to no longer work so I have put link below. There is no substitute for a careful driver but progress is being made and hopefully lives saved. BMW X1 results are disappointing.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-04-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      03-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Right, that infamous video might explain why -- if the car is happy to run over something that's person-size -- the OP found it didn't seem to care about the objects he was testing with!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #10
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

My X1 did break on its own once, when I was about to hit an enormously tall sidewalk while parking. I do have the S5AVA Active Guard as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Mines braked spuriously a couple of times but nowhere near as much as my Tiguan did. One guy who lived down Cornwall was plagued by his Tiguan constantly braking down the narrow lanes.
      03-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

There is a minimum speed (as others have said), also check the setting of the system to see if it's early, normal or late. I believe the documentation states that it only works with people or cars, it may not recognize random objects.
Appreciate 0