BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Is there a visual way to tell if a car has the Driver's Assistance Package/ DAP Plus?

02-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Is there a visual way to tell if a car has the Driver's Assistance Package/ DAP Plus?

Looking for a used X1 for my daughter to replace her aging e46 325i. Would prefer it had some sort of frontal collision avoidance. I'm a bit confused about which cars have that feature, although it seems that cars with the Driver's Assistance Package and Plus have that feature. Is there any way to tell from listing pictures if the car has those?

Thanks!
      02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hi
All F48 for EU market and some other markets have, as standard, what is called “collision warning with city braking function”. This is a frontal/vehicle collision warning function for higher speed driving and will warn and/or reduce speed (but not totally stop) to prevent/reduce impact damage. The 2016 technical training document for USA (published 1 Aug 2015) states it is standard for US market but I am advised many X1 in the US do not have it! If there is no camera in top midddle of windshield then there is no frontal collision avoidance.
The “collision warning” feature is obviously included in the larger optional “driving assist” and “da plus” packages.

The optional packages have additional “Lane departure warning”, “pedestrian warning” ( essentially lower speed pedestrian collision avoidance”, “high beam assistant” which moves adaptive LED headlights to avoid dazzle, a road sign recognition feature and finally in the “plus” package you get adaptive/active cruise control which adjust speed to maintain gap with car in front.

YOU can tell visually if a F48 has collision avoidance or “driving assist” package by the small driver assist button (car in a circle) located below the central informations screen. It will tell you what assist systems the car has and their status. Another indicator is the windshield KAFAS camera mounted in front of the rear view mirror.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Original post likely incorrect/misleading
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Excellent! Thank you for your help. Hopefully this also applies to vehicles produced for the USA.
      02-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Excellent! Thank you for your help. Hopefully this also applies to vehicles produced for the USA.
Hi
I believe the driver assist (called active driving assistant) package may be standard in all F48 sold in the USA. It certainly is for 2019 models, I checked the online brochure. In case that is not true for previous year models, I have updated my original reply to explain how you can see the exact safety features using the assist button on the dash. Pushing the button (ignition must be on) will show driver safety features active on the car. If there is no “driver assist” button then it is possible that the is no collision avoidance at all.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Original post probably incorrect
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

I haven't checked 2019 models however in the US AEB and other safety measures are not standard.

Check if the car has the camera mounted by the review mirror is the easiest way without looking inside the car. It's a triangular section above the mirror mount on the windshield, on my 2016 it states Connected Drive above it, I have not paid attention if that's still common going forwards. I don't think I've seen any other X1's on the road in the US with forward collision system on them. In general it seems unless it's a 7 series most BMW's in the US don't tend to have the camera systems on them.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

I have the driver assistance and plus. There is a camera behind the rearview mirror with connected drive logo. Also there is a button below the hazard light button for the warning collision on the center dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
I have the driver assistance and plus. There is a camera behind the rearview mirror with connected drive logo. Also there is a button below the hazard light button for the warning collision on the center dash.
Hi
@[landrumdh & ejw211

I believed all F48 sold worldwide had/have as a minimum “collision warning with city braking”. This is supported by the KAFAS camera located in the top middle of the windscreen/windshield in front of the rear view mirror. So ALL F48 have the camera. All F48 also have the “driver assist” button on the dash. It is when you push this button that differences are shown. The assist will show which features are installed in the car and allow the driver to select individual functions to be activated/deactivated (temporarily as they reset when the car is restarted).

The ONLY way to tell with certainty which assist features a F48 has is to turn on the ignition and push the “driver assist” button ( the car in a circle button below the hazard triangle button) and see on the central display. Looking at the left hand buttons on the steering wheel may help if you cannot turn on the ignition because only cars with “ driver assistant plus” have 5 buttons & rotary selector. You cannot tell for Cars with driver assist as they have 1 or 3 buttons same as standard cars. Cars is some countries are also required to have their VIN visible (usually on edge of windshield). You can , if you know how, look up the VIN and it will show the build options. F48 with options 5ASA have “driver assist” cars with 5ATA have “da plus” , cars without these options showing will just have std frontal collision warning with braking.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Avoid confusion, correct errors
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe for 2019MY they all have the camera. In the US that is not true for on 16-18MY. There is no requirement for AEB in the US.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Actually most of the X1s I have looked have in the USA don't have the button under the hazard lights button, so there might be a difference with the rest of the work markets. That seems to be the source of confusion. So for the USA, I believe that at the minimum, you need the Driver's assistance for any braking intervention, and possibly the DA Plus for complete braking, but I might be wrong still!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      02-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Actually most of the X1s I have looked have in the USA don't have the button under the hazard lights button, so there might be a difference with the rest of the work markets. That seems to be the source of confusion. So for the USA, I believe that at the minimum, you need the Driver's assistance for any braking intervention, and possibly the DA Plus for complete braking, but I might be wrong still!
Correct. My wife's 2018 has none of these features and vehicle was custom ordered with all the trimmings.

Now, my 2019 X3M40i has all these features. Frankly, mostly a PITA, especially the "sudden" braking options...can be a little scary.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
@landrumdh & Stony & bmwz4

You are correct, this is a global forum and specs do vary, so I stand corrected.
I had based my earlier replies on U.K., wider reading from several countries and BMW USA technical documents.

I also went onto bmw USA site a few days ago and looked at build options for 2019 X1 and they all showed the “active driving assistant” as a standard feature, so for 2019 the US now gets full driver assist as standard whereas other regions only get collision warning. Hope this is actually the case!

I do not know if the assist button was always present for F48 with the feature but I went and looked at several videos of USA X1 reviews including 2016 dealer launch showing features/functions and you are correct, no KAFAS camera and no “driver assist button” on view. I wonder if less than impressive performance of the system (I.e it does/did not work consistently well) meant BMW USA pulled it as a standard feature before launch? I will try check out videos for EU.

Thanks for putting me straight, I have edited my earlier posts as they were misleading.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I believe the premium package is what includes the active driving assistant. Active driving assistant only comes standard on M-sport models. I have no clue what the "plus" is.

And I don't think the X1 stops or slows, it'll only flash a light telling you you are about to hit something and it is up to the driver to hit the brakes. I've only got it to come on a couple of times in the almost year that we have had it (which is nice).

There is no lane departure and no BLIS system (One of the reasons I purchased the X1)

There is a parking assistant (close proximity sensors when slow driving like through a drive thru) and it will self park (although my wife refuses to use it).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

The X1 will slow down if it thinks a crash is imminent. They only state at speeds less then I think it was 16mph they might be able to prevent a collision. BMW's system is more a warn early to drivers to take appropriate action and try to slow the car to reduce impact speeds if the driver fails to take appropriate action type of system.

I've had my car perform level 1 and 2 warnings on a few occasions, I've yet to see the L3 which includes braking thankfully!

I haven't kept up with the current packaging, in MY16 DA gave you the parking sensors + backup camera, the DA+Plus gave you the forward camera and it's associated goodies. You then had to get DA+Plus+ACC if you wanted the active cruise control on top of it.
Appreciate 0