BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 - Ride, handling and road noise

01-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #45
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

As I mentioned previously, BMW has a track record of adjusting suspension tunes in production; it did so a year ago with the DDC suspension tune and may well have done so again more recently for non-DDC cars. Check for part number changes on the ETK...or, if you are considering buying, try to test both DDC and non-DDC over the same types of road surface. Choose that which you like the most.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #46
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

I test rode a 2.0d with basic suspension on 18 non r/f tires on motorway and English country lanes. I did not find anything to alarm me with the ride. We are coming from 2.5 year old Qashqai on 17 inch wheels and before that a 120d on 17 inch r/f tires.

My order is for basic suspension on 18 inch
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      01-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #47
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
I test rode a 2.0d with basic suspension on 18 non r/f tires on motorway and English country lanes. I did not find anything to alarm me with the ride. We are coming from 2.5 year old Qashqai on 17 inch wheels and before that a 120d on 17 inch r/f tires.

My order is for basic suspension on 18 inch
You'll be fine. I have RFT+18"+DDC and Sport setting is a little bit crashy for the day to day driving in my opinion. Having said that, I do try the stiffer mode occasionally, whenever I'm on a nice twisty B-road. Just for fun.

Most negative reviews are about RFT+19" combined with stiffer suspension. Journalists are always given the top trim cars. I haven't yet seen any review of 17" wheels and standard tyres. Another thing to consider, I believe the standard US suspension is the same as M-Sport suspension everywhere else. Meaning it's stiffer and has less playroom. That too might be why a lot of US reviews about the ride are negative. Not sure, but I think it's to do with their regulations on rollover prevention.

-- For comfort only, there's no point paying extra for DDC.

-- If you just want an occasional fun drive, it's definitely worth the extra. Specially if you are ordering the M-Sport trim, since it's going to be a cheaper option.

-- If you want a sporty drive all the time, you shouldn't be complaining about stiff suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #48
TC3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
You'll be fine. I have RFT+18"+DDC and Sport setting is a little bit crashy for the day to day driving in my opinion. Having said that, I do try the stiffer mode occasionally, whenever I'm on a nice twisty B-road. Just for fun.

Most negative reviews are about RFT+19" combined with stiffer suspension. Journalists are always given the top trim cars. I haven't yet seen any review of 17" wheels and standard tyres. Another thing to consider, I believe the standard US suspension is the same as M-Sport suspension everywhere else. Meaning it's stiffer and has less playroom. That too might be why a lot of US reviews about the ride are negative. Not sure, but I think it's to do with their regulations on rollover prevention.

-- If you just want an occasional fun drive, it's definitely worth the extra. Specially if you are ordering the M-Sport trim, since it's going to be a cheaper option.

-- If you want a sporty drive all the time, you shouldn't be complaining about stiff suspension.
Yes that all makes sense

I tend to not buy sporty cars anymore, that was something I did in my youth. When I want the thrill of speed I jump on my Ducati
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #49
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post

Excellent summary by KPD. I have xLine xDrive 20i with 18" NON RFT and DDC. 95% of the time in comfort mode. Sport mode used as a bit of a toy. Having said that I am also impressed even in comfort mode if you give it the beans
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #50
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispb View Post
Vogit

I am interested in this as I find the standard tyres very noisy on course surfaces - where did you get your 17" wheels from and were they expensive

Chris
Hi Chris, I've replied to your PM ... (Short answer: dealership and yes )
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #51
BemweeBE
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 - X1 xDrive18d F48

Just on a side note, at least in Europe it's quite typical for these taller crossovers to be given relatively stiff dampers and anti-rollbars to make them handle in a 'sporty' way, i.e. having relatively flat cornering and direct response to inputs, similar to what a hatchback would do (despite the higher center of gravity). That doesn't necessarily need to kill the comfort in terms of primary ride (big undulations in the road), but it's the reason that they won't deal well with potholes, sharp ridges or broken surfaces.

If the roads around where you live are described well by that last sentence, then you should probably shy away from the RFTs (at least I can't see how those would help), but apparently the rim size itself is not all that important in terms of addressing this... it's just inherent to the car's setup.

As anecdotal evidence, we have a small 'premium' MPV right now, not a BMW but very similar in concept to the X1 (transverse 4-cil FWD). For what it is, it also handles surprisingly well... but you don't want to hit speed bumps too quickly, even if the overall ride is good (but our roads are pretty decent). We had it on 15-inch wheels at delivery and quickly switched it over to 17-inch - this made no appreciable difference in ride quality (did not get worse).

BMW is probably particularly prone to this problem, as they need to prove the X1 to be a real BMW by making it handle somewhat. The more naturally balanced, rear-drive models like the 3-series likely don't need such interventions and therefore can drive in a more naturally 'flowing' way (i.e. their damper/rollbar setup lets them breathe with the surface better).

As for EDC, having ordered it, I still fully agree with those who say this is a two-stage system. There is plenty of detailed technical documentation describing it as such. Nevertheless, if you believe above explanation, then it would make sense for BMW to tune the 'comfort' setting in a softer way than a non-EDC car's default setup. After all, the customer will fully expect/understand having to hit the 'sport' (suspension) button to get their BMW-like handling - and the counter to that is that they'd (psychologically) would actually want their car to roll more in the other setting (thus proving that comfort mode is really working).

Our car is ordered with EDC, will report back in a few months .
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #52
OffX
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1, M sport 19"

Taller Tires?

Has anyone tried higher profile tires on their stock rims? I would love to get a little extra clearance and The GF would enjoy a softer ride with say, 235/55r19's?

Last edited by OffX; 01-30-2017 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #53
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffX View Post
Has anyone tried higher profile tires on their stock rims? I would love to get a little extra clearance and The GF would enjoy a softer ride with say, 235/55r19's?
This will throw out your speedo, ABS and DSC
      02-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #54
OffX
Rep

Understand, they can all be remapped on the onboard computer. I just picked up my X1 yesterday and looking at the front wheels it doesn't seem to have a lot of room. But if someone can lower their suspension and have no issues it might be possible to stuff a larger diameter tire in there also. I was hoping that somebody already tried and would share...

Last edited by OffX; 02-01-2017 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: grammer
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:20 AM   #55
Eziv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d M Sport

Just to settle this topic, if I just want a more comfortable ride and don't care about sportiness, is then DDC a feature I definitely don't need?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:50 AM   #56
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffX View Post
Understand, they can all be remapped on the onboard computer.
Never seen that
      02-03-2017, 03:53 AM   #57
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eziv View Post
Just to settle this topic, if I just want a more comfortable ride and don't care about sportiness, is then DDC a feature I definitely don't need?
The ones I have driven have had more comfortable/softer feeling suspension with DDC put in comfort mode than cars with regular suspension fitted. They were all 18" wheels

But the difference is not huge
      02-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #58
TC3
Private
Rep

Having had a good few runs now on our car which has 18" non r/fs on normal suspension I got to say having a spirited ride on twisty UK country lanes the car handles very well. Comfort wise while the stiffness of suspension does mean you feel it when car goes over lil gaps in road etc it is well dampened and the ride is comfortable. To me I think BMW have got the balance just right in terms of stiffness/ handling/comfort
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #59
OffX
Rep

larger diameter tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Never seen that
Really? Did that to my 2014 F-150 4x4. Did that to my old Honda in 2003. Easy with a reader, your "expert" comments worry me a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #60
jpgibson
Rep
Drives: X1

19", standard suspension. Love it. Avoid potholes and slow down over speed humps. Ifs not plush like the CX5 but I like how its 'sporty'. Tyre noise? dont care. If you wanted a quiet luxury car, probs best with a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #61
Hami_x1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

I have x1 2017, 18" inch tires, non-run flat tires and xline suspension. I recently started to develop a back pain and driving the car is seriously hitting my back so badly. This car is obviously not for those with a weak back. Although I love the car and everything else is awesome, I'm getting sick of driving the car.

I am thinking to downsize my tires to 17", though not 100% sure if they fit and calipers allow that.

Other than that, anyone has any idea of replacing or tweaking the shocks, springs, etc. To make the ride softer?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #62
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

What seats do you have?

Actually, I'd suggest working on your seating position-- maybe with someone observing
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #63
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Interesting to read folks worrying about suspensions being too stiff...here in the US almost all car makers soften up the ride to the point of being "floaty" (at least to my "seat of the pants calibration")...I do feel RFT are the worst bane foisted on BMW drivers...I couldn't wait to get rid of them on my 328!...They may be OK where distances to "civilization" are 50Km or less...but according to specs here...you can't drive on 'em flat for more than 50 miles...and in the western US...you can get a flat 100-200 miles or more from a replacement tire! I threw a compact spare and jack in the trunk straight away...and used them on my first road trip!...You bet I checked the "remove RFT and add spare and jack" on my X1 order sheet!....Tire noise is an issue on rough surfaces..but the ride (US M sport suspension) is just fine to my tastes and I've "tested" it on some nice (twisties) already!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #64
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

I've had my X1 since March of last year and it's loud AF! lol But I still love it and enjoy the time in the car. It is difficult to use the handset when talking, but whatever. If you buy this car you have obviously done some research. I think we are all in this together And stiff for sure, but again, the driving is fun---who doesn't like to avoid little potholes on the road etc!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #65
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eziv View Post
Buy an Audi if you're looking for comfort LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #66
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade15 View Post
I've had my X1 since March of last year and it's loud AF! lol But I still love it and enjoy the time in the car. It is difficult to use the handset when talking, but whatever. If you buy this car you have obviously done some research. I think we are all in this together And stiff for sure, but again, the driving is fun---who doesn't like to avoid little potholes on the road etc!

i do like avoiding the pot holes. although i hated hitting them with my e90 when it was lowered on h&r sport springs. but this car is slightly higher...

i test drove the Q3 after test driving the X1 and yes Q3 was comfortable but honestly i thought the X1 was comparable. what did stand out to me was the lack of power and fun in driving the Q3. it was an easy decision for me.
Appreciate 0