BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 - Ride, handling and road noise

08-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #67
WanaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Fast and fun M3

I think the X1 delivers great feedback and overall road comfort (noise, travel etc..). Audi's are nice but feel very bland and almost too comfortable. In my opinion it's nice to have a little more of a mechanical feel rather then a more assisted one when driving (Audi).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #68
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

agreed... i test drove a Q3 and X1 back to back since they were co-located at the same dealership. the only thing that impressed me with the Q3 was how fast it could take corners, but overall the X1 had better road feel. And throttle response was much better, at least in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #69
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
Cross Climate tyres

Has anyone fitted Michelin's SUV Cross Climate tyres 235/50/18w they are 5mm wider each side but the correct circumference I'm not sure why Michelin haven't made the 225 ver. yet. I fitted a pair onto the front driving wheels of my van they are terrific they are grippy as anything, quiet, look great and ware is looking good so far I can recommend them❓
      11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #70
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtheted View Post
Has anyone fitted Michelin's SUV Cross Climate tyres 235/50/18w they are 5mm wider each side but the correct circumference I'm not sure why Michelin haven't made the 225 ver. yet. I fitted a pair onto the front driving wheels of my van they are terrific they are grippy as anything, quiet, look great and ware is looking good so far I can recommend them❓
Not a good idea to mix different types of tyre, such as summer/winter/all-season because they all have differing handling characteristics. Also, I think you will find the tyre manufacturers always advise fitting just two new tyres on the rear axle, regardless of whether you have front or rear wheel drive, as that would, presumably, avoid potentially dangerous oversteer situations. It is also possible that fitting a mix of tyre types between front/rear, in the event of an accident, could invalidate the vehicle's insurance. Search on the tyre manufacturers websites for additional info. Personally, I would not take a chance on anything that is safety related.
Here's what the UK Automobile Association have to say on the subject:
'Check your handbook first but if it doesn’t give any specific advice then, whether your car’s front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive the best/newest tyres should be on the back.
Making sure you have your best tyres on the back will favour ‘understeer’ rather than ‘oversteer’ when grip is limited such as in very wet or cold conditions.
Understeer – the car tends to go straight on even though you’re turning the wheel.
Oversteer – the back end breaks free and the car is likely to spin.
Tyres with deeper tread grooves are less likely to puncture too and it's more difficult to control a car with a damaged rear tyre than one with a damaged front tyre.'
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #71
OffX
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1, M sport 19"

Bigger tires

E90fleet, (sry if I got that wrong), you may be right about changing tire size in the ecu. I didn't bother. I DID replace my RFTs with General Alimax R43 255/45 R19s. Taller wider non run flat tire that has improved the ride for the GF. I haven't noticed any change in performance but then I don't drive it very hard. When my speedo says 65mph I am actually going 66.7, not a big deal to me and the back tires will rub (barely) if I hit a bump that bottoms out the suspension. Did that once, I've had the tires on for a year. Still want to raise the suspension a bit, love exploring the outdoors and some of the dirt roads I have taken were slow going...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #72
OffX
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1, M sport 19"

Oh, and does anyone need a set of 19" oem RFTs? 3000 miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #73
hfollett77@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 25i

bmw x1 road noise

Switched to a higher profile tire from 45m to 55m, did not make much difference other than softened ride a bit.

Think the X versions just do not have enough noise dampening insulation. Germans are big on technology but weak on rider comfort.

Previously owned Volvo XC70 and the difference in road noise versus the X1 is remarkable. Also miss the comfy seats.
Appreciate 0