BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) voice command not functioning on Canadian X1s?

04-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Jing2016
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 M SPORT

voice command not functioning on Canadian X1s?

Hi all,

I took the delivery of my X1 today, but I noticed the voice command button on the steering wheel is not functioning.

I am wondering if the Canadian X1 doesnt have the voice command function at all? or it is just mine that is not working well?

Thank you so much guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing2016 View Post
Hi all,

I took the delivery of my X1 today, but I noticed the voice command button on the steering wheel is not functioning.

I am wondering if the Canadian X1 doesnt have the voice command function at all? or it is just mine that is not working well?

Thank you so much guys.
Do you have option 6NS Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity? As far as I understood you need that option to add voice commands. Seems to be working on my X1 the limited amount I've tried it. Will test more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Jing2016
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifletch View Post
Do you have option 6NS Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity? As far as I understood you need that option to add voice commands. Seems to be working on my X1 the limited amount I've tried it. Will test more tomorrow.
Is that a separate option you can choose or it is included in a certain package? I dont see it in my list.

I noticed that you had the executive package, is that right? maybe that's the reason.

BTW, i have encountered the same problem as you had. My window frame is chrome. When I initially ordered it, it should be high gloss black (standard with M sport line). I pointed it out to my salesman. He tried to configure it on the system, but I suddenly noticed that BMW Canada changed the configuration into Chrome window line which comes standard with M sport line, though you can still choose high gloss black without additional fee.

I am so upset that I wanted to have some sort of wrap on the frame to make it high gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing2016 View Post
Is that a separate option you can choose or it is included in a certain package? I dont see it in my list.

I noticed that you had the executive package, is that right? maybe that's the reason.

BTW, i have encountered the same problem as you had. My window frame is chrome. When I initially ordered it, it should be high gloss black (standard with M sport line). I pointed it out to my salesman. He tried to configure it on the system, but I suddenly noticed that BMW Canada changed the configuration into Chrome window line which comes standard with M sport line, though you can still choose high gloss black without additional fee.

I am so upset that I wanted to have some sort of wrap on the frame to make it high gloss black.

6NS Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity is a separate option. I didn't know that voice command was part of that package until late into my order. Initially the dealer said the factory was to late to add it but they came a few days later and said they were adding it for me. I had pointed out to the dealer that I found reference in the technical manuals and on the BMW website that the option could be added later by the dealer.

If you have an iPhone you can hold down the voice button to activate Siri Eyes Free. I am not sure you are missing much with not having the voice commands. They aren't the greatest IMO. You do get an extra microphone on the passenger side I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifletch View Post
6NS Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity is a separate option. I didn't know that voice command was part of that package until late into my order. Initially the dealer said the factory was to late to add it but they came a few days later and said they were adding it for me. I had pointed out to the dealer that I found reference in the technical manuals and on the BMW website that the option could be added later by the dealer.

If you have an iPhone you can hold down the voice button to activate Siri Eyes Free. I am not sure you are missing much with not having the voice commands. They aren't the greatest IMO. You do get an extra microphone on the passenger side I believe.
+1

Siri with a Parrot hands free in my Ford Transit van is better than the voice commands in my F10. Understands me every time, whereas the F10 just does its own thing!
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
xBoffx
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3/MX-5/996

First post!

The voice button doesn't work on my car either (we have both Premium Package Enhanced and ConnectedDrive). It does work for calling up Siri. I have a query into my salesman about it. Will update when I hear from him. I can't believe that they'd eliminate this functionality (our 2012 F30 had it).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoffx View Post
First post!

The voice button doesn't work on my car either (we have both Premium Package Enhanced and ConnectedDrive). It does work for calling up Siri. I have a query into my salesman about it. Will update when I hear from him. I can't believe that they'd eliminate this functionality (our 2012 F30 had it).
As others have said you need to spec 6NS to get the Voice Control. Many have been caught out by this - it was the first change I made to my spec after I discovered this on the forum. I have used it a bit but I am still in the "discovery" phase of all the features
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
xBoffx
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3/MX-5/996

Thanks, Bill. Clearly I did not read the thread carefully enough.

Perhaps if the eggheads at BMW had called the option "Voice Control" instead of "Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity", then I and others would not have been caught out!
      05-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoffx View Post
Thanks, Bill. Clearly I did not read the thread carefully enough.

Perhaps if the eggheads at BMW had called the option "Voice Control" instead of "Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity", then I and others would not have been caught out!
6NS option does include other phone features, such as an additional microphone on the front passenger side and receiving text message on iDrive. I also missed selecting this 6NS option as well because my CA at that time did not know voice control was a part of the 6NS, and BMWUSA website at that time did not specify one needs 6NS to get voice control. Recently I've noticed that BMWUSA did update the description of 6NS on the website to include the phrase "voice control".

However, I had voice control in my F30 and rarely used it because I found using the preset buttons are much easier and faster to get to my most used functions. Voice control did not work well with my deep voice and accent. It had aggravated me many times when I tried to program navigation using voice control. I ended up cursing out at the iDrive like a mad man and only response from iDrive was, "please repeat"...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0