cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
RD - Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
      03-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #25
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

So my wife and I were having a few cocktails a week or so ago and we got chatting about concerts......so then she started booking concerts on line........Jimmy Buffett, Rolling Stones, Chicago, Teenage Head and David Wilcox lined up for this summer.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      03-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #26
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
RD - Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
By the great beard of merlin....that's one of my lines! Another thief among us.........

Where did I get that line? (don't peek till after you guess)

Star Trek 2, Capt. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #27
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So my wife and I were having a few cocktails a week or so ago and we got chatting about concerts......so then she started booking concerts on line........Jimmy Buffett, Rolling Stones, Chicago, Teenage Head and David Wilcox lined up for this summer.
So heres some Teenage Head for you......Run Silent will probably be down with this. These guys are famous for a riot at Ontario Place in the 70's, I saw them there and at a dump called Caesarea, the lead singer Frankie Venom had been in a bad car accident and was in an electric wheel chair, wearing black leather pants and a white tee shirt with all the safety pins.....get your punk on bitches!

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 03-19-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #28
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So when I was a young fella going to college David Wilcox would play our pubs, he'd be drinking out of a big jug of Jack Damage I mean Daniels. My wife and I are going to see him at this place called the Kee to Bala on the lake in cottage country near my family cottage, we will probably go by boat....what could possibly go wrong?

Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #29
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Y'all can say whatever you want, but I think they are terrible. It's said that people either love Rush or hate them, but a more accurate statement is that most people hate Rush, while a scattered few really love them. Sort of like anchovies; in fact, it's quite fair to call Rush the anchovies of rock music. Odd time signatures, fantastical imagery, and falsetto, whiny vocals just grate my nerves. Barf.

Q: What do you call women at a Rush concert?
A: Lost

Neil Peart walks into a bar. Ba dum bada tss tss dum ba dum tatt tatt......

The label is putting out a new 3 cd Rush album. 200 minutes of music. They just have to figure out which song it will be.

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?
21 - one to change the bulb and 20 to say that Neil Peart would have done it better.
Since this is a car site, I will add something related to cars.

"Tom Sawyer" is the gold standard for testing car stereos. If it plays that with no distortion, you've got a good stereo. Though "She sells sanctuary" and "The Witch" also work really well.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
red barchetta
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17875.50
kscarrol8775.50
      03-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #31
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Who here still goes to the occasional concert? I rarely go to shows anymore but when I do it's to see a band that I REALLY want to see perform live.

Just bought tickets to a show in Louisville KY and wow!!!! Whatever happened to being able to attend a concert for $25-50??? The process in how this entire business is ran is ridiculous.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to buying tickets for a 2 hour show that don't end up costing the price of a mortgage/payment?
It's because bands don't make money selling music anymore. They have to make their money touring and off merchandise. I'm not seeing as many concerts lately as I had the previous couple of years.

Just saw Metallica in January, $325 for two tickets. Smashing Pumpkins back in July, $275 for two ticket. Mastodon/Primus back in May, $90 for two. I took my dad to Rush R40 back in 2015 when the opened the tour in Tulsa, it was roughly $250 for two floor seats.

I've also seen QOTSA, Deftones, Gojira, Dream Theater, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard and Tesla, The Melvins, in the last few years.

Oh and the better half took me to Miranda Lambert since I drag her to a bunch of metal shows. She put on a hell of a show!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #32
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

"Tom Sawyer" is the gold staard for testing car stereos. If it plays that with no distortion, you've got a good stereo. Though "She sells sanctuary" and "The Witch" also work really well.
I've alway thought it was funny that Americans like Rush better than Canadians. I have a friend that knows Geddy Lee, he hangs around Rosedale now playing Bridge....too funny.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #33
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Oh, and just back from New Orleans last night. Saw some great bar bands, ate some gumbo and crawdads.......life is good.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #34
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I hear you; unfortunately, prices are only on the increase.

Best advice I can offer is to scout a couple of different venues for the artist. Prices vary by region, and if you’re willing to travel could save yourself a nice chunk of change.

Also, certain credit cards offer programs with “early access” or a will release a certain amount of tickets at discounted prices.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
red barchetta
or 2112? You just need a lot of free time with 2112......
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #36
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The Rolling Stones.

So, going to see the Stones again this summer. This will be about the 8th time I've seen them. I've been backstage a few times and front row centre once. This is the greatest Rock and Roll band in history, please don't try to debate that point because you have nothing. I'm not being a dick, but seriously, they formed in 1962. I was one year old.....they can still sell out Wembley and probably two or three nights in a row. Just say. June 29th in Oro.....me and the Stones, again.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
RickFLM410880.50
upstatedoc7555.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      03-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #37
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
It's because bands don't make money selling music anymore. They have to make their money touring and off merchandise. I'm not seeing as many concerts lately as I had the previous couple of years.

Just saw Metallica in January, $325 for two tickets. Smashing Pumpkins back in July, $275 for two ticket. Mastodon/Primus back in May, $90 for two. I took my dad to Rush R40 back in 2015 when the opened the tour in Tulsa, it was roughly $250 for two floor seats.

I've also seen QOTSA, Deftones, Gojira, Dream Theater, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard and Tesla, The Melvins, in the last few years.

Oh and the better half took me to Miranda Lambert since I drag her to a bunch of metal shows. She put on a hell of a show!
I'd really like to see Deftones. Also, due to the outrageous price for tickets that I have paid, I will download Tools new album rather than buying it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #38
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Not really a concert, but I've been to NO Jazz Fest 4 times and think it is one of the best bargains you can find to see some great music. The Rolling Stones will be there this year, albeit with special day tickets that are outrageously expensive. I looked into Rolling Stones in Miami and won't pay the price for great seats, which is the way to go if you're gonna go.
2000cs3447.00
      03-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #39
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

And now for something completely different...

Last concert I attended was Michael Buble in Detroit a couple of weeks ago. My wife is a big fan and she is losing mobility so I paid up for great seats. 5 hour drive each way, hotel and dinner, and the tix totaled about $2k. Worth every penny.

Before that I was with a bunch of Parrotheads at the Buffet, which was not worth the price but a fun evening. And the Stones halftime show during the XL Super Bowl was, like most Super Bowl halftime shows, disappointing.

Regularly attend Opera - also about a 90 minute drive to the closest theater, and now and then classical concerts. Have served on both orchestra and opera boards. Opera is great entertainment; I love taking folks in their 20s for a totally new experience for them.

Love a good musical - last I saw was Mama Mia. Want to see Book of Mormon, Jersey Boys and a few others. I try to see those when I’m in NYC or London.

Probably won’t do much more until my wife can really enjoy again. Those opportunities are fading.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
RickFLM410880.50
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #40
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
And now for something completely different...

Last concert I attended was Michael Buble in Detroit a couple of weeks ago. My wife is a big fan and she is losing mobility so I paid up for great seats. 5 hour drive each way, hotel and dinner, and the tix totaled about $2k. Worth every penny.

Before that I was with a bunch of Parrotheads at the Buffet, which was not worth the price but a fun evening. And the Stones halftime show during the XL Super Bowl was, like most Super Bowl halftime shows, disappointing.

Regularly attend Opera - also about a 90 minute drive to the closest theater, and now and then classical concerts. Have served on both orchestra and opera boards. Opera is great entertainment; I love taking folks in their 20s for a totally new experience for them.

Love a good musical - last I saw was Mama Mia. Want to see Book of Mormon, Jersey Boys and a few others. I try to see those when I’m in NYC or London.

Probably won’t do much more until my wife can really enjoy again. Those opportunities are fading.
So Buble was absolutely the right thing to do. I'd love to see that good clean Canadian boy.....did he do Me and Mrs Jones? I'll bet you could hear the panties hitting the floor. The first time I took my wife to see Buffet (i'm a huge fan) she wore flip flops and some guy wearing a coconut bar barffed on her feet.....she was FUCKING MAD...swore she'd never go back. She has and she gets it now. Were going back this summer. Hope your wife makes out ok.....peace.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
2000cs3447.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #41
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
My wife really enjoys Buble and I can dig it when she has it playing in the house - not sure I could sit through a whole concert though.

I love musicals - the best one I ever saw was Miss Saigon at the Kravis Center in WPB, FL. It was amazing - they brought an actual helicopter, running, down on wires (sans rotors) over the crowd. It was insane.

I've tried to go to Opera and just can't get into it. I've been twice and both times I left at intermission - I just couldn't take it.
I will listen to opera in short intervals. I have a great sound system that helps, I haven't seen it live though. I do like classical and have been to the symphony many times. I also love musicals. I'd go see Buble just for the cougar parade.

Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #42
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So Buble was absolutely the right thing to do. I'd love to see that good clean Canadian boy.....did he do Me and Mrs Jones? I'll bet you could hear the panties hitting the floor. The first time I took my wife to see Buffet (i'm a huge fan) she wore flip flops and some guy wearing a coconut bar barffed on her feet.....she was FUCKING MAD...swore she'd never go back. She has and she gets it now. Were going back this summer. Hope your wife makes out ok.....peace.
He did not do Me & Mrs Jones, but he did put on a great show. It was at the Little Ceasers Arena so he joked after opening that his contract required him to say “pizza pizza” during or after each song. Then he did it. Good gag.

Definitely a lot of females there, prob 3:1 women to men. And yeah, they were swooning. Not a lot that I would need two hands to score on a 10-point scale, though.

His band was excellent and could really kick out the tunes. All in all a great show and even better memories for my wife and me.

For Opera, there are some that are easier for first timers than other shows. It helps to kind of know the story (there are really only two stories: boy meets girl, falls in love, awkward conflict, work it out and everyone lives happily ever after - that’s comic opera, and boy meets girl, falls in love, awkward conflict, everyone dies - that’s tragic opera). It is the music I like, but my wife likes the costumes and staging. Anyway before we go we google the opera and get a synopsis, maybe listen to some of it via YouTube or whatever. Get a feel for it. Given the drive time, we usually play something like that in the car on the way. Any opera with tunes that were used in cartoons, or The Pill Song (Rusty Warren, played on Dr. Demento) is going to be just a bit more fun. Rigoletto, Barber of Seville, fit that. Wagner’s Ring cycle is well know from Apocalypse Now and Bugs Bunny but is way too heavy and long for newbies. Carmen has the Toreador song, which I think everyone knows (by ear if not by name). Probably La Boehm is my favorite, just such beautiful and emotional music. Rent was based on this opera.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #43
2000cs
Captain
Rep

I forgot I saw the Time Jumpers in Nashville last year and really liked that show. I listen to a lot of “classic” country in my car, because it evokes fond childhood memories. Country shows are a hoot and a half; any time I’m in Nashville I’ll try to go.

I’m also trying to listen to more bluegrass but it isn’t taking. I stream WWOZ from New Orleans on Saturday and Sunday, and that alone is a pretty eclectic mix!
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #44
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Oh, and just back from New Orleans last night. Saw some great bar bands, ate some gumbo and crawdads.......life is good.
Dude? Really??
Appreciate 1