BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) UK/Europe Map Update 2019-2

03-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #1
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

UK/Europe Map Update 2019-2

Just a quick note to let anyone who may be interested know that for UK/EU drivers there's a new Navigation Map download, version EUROPE Way 2019-2.
I have downloaded it to my iMac and transferring it to a 16GB USB dongle for installation my UK X1. My son drives a 1 Series and told me his had been updated 'over the air' late last week.
There's no indication with the download as to what has changed, so it's a case of wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Hi, thanks for the heads up. Just checked for this in the download manager for my 2017 Uk X1. It's telling me "the current map version Road Map Europe Route 2018-1 for vehicle WBAHS...... has already been downloaded."
?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1Factor View Post
Hi, thanks for the heads up. Just checked for this in the download manager for my 2017 Uk X1. It's telling me "the current map version Road Map Europe Route 2018-1 for vehicle WBAHS...... has already been downloaded."
?
Unfortunately you have the ENTRYNAV HU which has “route”maps rather (changed over approx 07/17) than the ENTRYNAV2 HU which has “way” maps. Owners with “route” maps have been let down by BMW with very infrequent updates. I understand the next “route” map update will be out soon (scheduled 03/2019.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Unfortunately you have the ENTRYNAV HU which has “route”maps rather (changed over approx 07/17) than the ENTRYNAV2 HU which has “way” maps. Owners with “route” maps have been let down by BMW with very infrequent updates. I understand the next “route” map update will be out soon (scheduled 03/2019.
I wonder whether Max1Factor may still be on iDrive 5, whereas my X1, built 3/18, has the current version, iDrive 6.
Having now installed the update I've been able to look at some of the areas where, despite earlier having version 2019-1, which showed me in fields in various locations, the mapping has certainly been updated. As an example, 'improvements' to J24 of the M1/A50/A435 near Nottingham that hadn't been updated previously, has now been rectified (it is quite a major junction and had been a peak time bottleneck). So it'll be good not to seem to be ploughing a furrow in someones field!
Hey Ho, makes a change from being bored stiff with our hapless politicians over Brexit !!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

All this techie stuff is beyond me. However a month or so ago, I got a message on the screen that an update was available. I think it should have auto updated? How do I check? Idiots step by step guide please!!! I have the large screen in my car and another 21months of “free” stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
All this techie stuff is beyond me. However a month or so ago, I got a message on the screen that an update was available. I think it should have auto updated? How do I check? Idiots step by step guide please!!! I have the large screen in my car and another 21months of “free” stuff.
Go to Navigation, scroll down to 'Settings', then to 'Position & Version' followed by 'Version' and on to 'Version Information', which should show whether you've updated to 2019-2. I think, from memory, that's all you need, but it is reasonably intuitive, even for someone as ancient as me! So far as you having the larger screen, as your X1 is a little 'older' than mine I cannot be absolutely sure if you have iDrive 6, but perhaps someone else can comment on that.
I don't know whether you would have had to accept the message you had on-screen for the over-the-air update, or if it was then actioned, but I've asked my son if he had to accept or if it was automatic on his 1 Series (he has iDrive 6 too) and will update idc.
UPDATE: My son says he had to accept the update and it applied more or less immediately whereas on previous over-the-air updates its taken approx 15 minutes to apply.

Last edited by oakey46; 03-15-2019 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Oakey46 has explained how to check which version is loaded.
My understanding is that for those X1 with “Nav plus” package the update is automatic (but only for one country! If you wish to update all of Europe you will need to visit BMW “connected drive” and follow the usb map update process).

In case your map has not updated, you may manually do so via idrive, go to;
1. “My vehicle”
2.”iDrive settings”
3.”Software Update”
4.”Update Software”
5.”Teleservices” (if you are updating via USB you would select USB” however simply inserting a USB with newer map version will load menu and ask if you wish to install the update)
6.”Load Update” [May take some time if update is not already loaded]
7. “Install Update”
8.”OK”
9. Wait until update is confirmed and map system re-starts.

I reiterate that automatic teleservice map updates will only be for one country, you may choose/change which country this is via the BMW connected drive portal. For owners driving into different countries they should undertake a USB update for the whole mapping region. For Europe’s 2019-2 “way” this is approx 13.6gb in size and dependent on broadband speed can take some time. The USB must be in FAT32 format (so max size 32gb unless pre-formatted) otherwise the BMW “downloader” will not unzip and transfer the file across to the USB.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-15-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
oakey46157.50
      03-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oakey46 has explained how to check which version is loaded.
My understanding is that for those X1 with “Nav plus” package the update is automatic (but only for one country! If you wish to update all of Europe you will need to visit BMW “connected drive” and follow the usb map update process).

In case your map has not updated, you may manually do so via idrive, go to;
1. “My vehicle”
2.”iDrive settings”
3.”Software Update”
4.”Update Software”
5.”Teleservices” (if you are updating via USB you would select USB” however simply inserting a USB with newer map version will load menu and ask if you wish to install the update)
6.”Load Update” [May take some time if update is not already loaded]
7. “Install Update”
8.”OK”
9. Wait until update is confirmed and map system re-starts.

I reiterate that automatic teleservice map updates will only be for one country, you may choose/change which country this is via the BMW connected drive portal. For owners driving into different countries they should undertake a USB update for the whole mapping region. For Europe’s 2019-2 “way” this is approx 13.7gb in size and dependent on broadband speed can take some time. The USB must be in FAT32 format (so max storage size 32gb) otherwise the BMW “downloader” will not unzip and transfer the file across to the USB.
Updating via USB is the way that I’ve updated so far and it works with a 16gb dongle, formatted as advised above. When updating that way during 2018, perhaps because I use a Mac as opposed to a Windows PC, the BMW Download wouldn’t transfer to the USB and I had to locate the download and extract it manually, but the software was updated for the 2019-1 version around last December and it now works without problem, just a bit long winded. Useful to know though that over-the-air only updates your own country, so thanks for that.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

I have just updated to 2019-02 and it was 13.59GB
I use a 64 GB stick and I have never done anything to get it to fat32 ( I don't know how) it took around 3 hours to download,verify and transfer over to a USB then a couple of minutes in the car.
I just put USB in car,it asks do I want to update,say yes and that was it,told me when completed.
Later checked the version shown in car it was 2019-02
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #10
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

QUOTE: 'I use a 64 GB stick and I have never done anything to get it to fat32 ( I don't know how)'

I think the USB dongle is formatted as FAT32 by default from new, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
QUOTE: 'I use a 64 GB stick and I have never done anything to get it to fat32 ( I don't know how)'

I think the USB dongle is formatted as FAT32 by default from new, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.
Yes, this is often the case, they actually partition the memory so that each partition is 32gb or less.

The problem occurs when you try and re-format a USB, perhaps as part of the process of clearing out old data, or usb damage is detected and you let Windows repair it. Unless you have special partition tools, Windows will not let you format a USB over 32gb in FAT32 format, it will offer exFAT or NTFS.
Interestingly, the X1 will happily use a usb with exFAT (for example a music library) but it their app says it needs the nav maps in FAT32 format. However please note I am told it will actuallyaccept NFTS format.
You are correct, a 16gb usb should be adequate for Europe “way” or “route” maps.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-26-2019 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

My Live services expired last week and as I've got a quality satnav provided from work BMW can forget it if they think I'm paying to renew it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
My Live services expired last week and as I've got a quality satnav provided from work BMW can forget it if they think I'm paying to renew it.
Yes, the assorted services tied into BMW cars can easily add up to hundreds each year.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-16-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
cryze
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

Regarding updates for "Route" maps, I sent an e-mail to BMW ConnectedServices asking when a 2019 update would be coming and they replied there is a "2019-2" update scheduled for June.

Bit odd considering there's no 2019-1 yet.

I wish they had a more frequent release schedule for Route maps, at least in line with other map releases, I really love the nav on the HUD.
Appreciate 1
Bill_P94.50
      03-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryze View Post
Regarding updates for "Route" maps, I sent an e-mail to BMW ConnectedServices asking when a 2019 update would be coming and they replied there is a "2019-2" update scheduled for June.

Bit odd considering there's no 2019-1 yet.

I wish they had a more frequent release schedule for Route maps, at least in line with other map releases, I really love the nav on the HUD.
Yes, they keeping pushing the date back, a few months ago they said 2019-1 would be out now (03/2019). I think the basic problem is there are very few models with “route” mapping, so BMW will only update it when they think it will pay.

I think last X1 built with “route mapping” HU were 06/2017 . I am not sure if these EU cars came with free update period, perhaps you can advise?

A cynic might suggest the next “Europe route” map release will be the day after any free updates expire!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #16
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they keeping pushing the date back, a few months ago they said 2019-1 would be out now (03/2019). I think the basic problem is there are very few models with “route” mapping, so BMW will only update it when they think it will pay.

I think last X1 built with “route mapping” HU were 06/2017 . I am not sure if these EU cars came with free update period, perhaps you can advise?

A cynic might suggest the next “Europe route” map release will be the day after any free updates expire!

Mine is from 09/2016, and even though I got it a few weeks ago as it was a former lease car I still am under the free update period, valid until 08/2019.

If what you're saying ends up being true, it's seriously f-ed up.

They did reply that I would get an update in June, a couple months before the end of my free period, which may be their way to push the last route maps update before the end of the free period and also avoid some well justified anger.

In any case, for the future, I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the HU to entrynav2 or an evo. If it's a matter of purchasing the HU and doing some coding I could be able to do it myself. I've seen at least one video on youtube of a company called Elebest doing an evo ID6 retrofit on an X1.

But I'm still very ignorant on many details of the process, there's not that much information for the X1. Or I just haven't found it yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Mine is from 09/2016, and even though I got it a few weeks ago as it was a former lease car I still am under the free update period, valid until 08/2019.

If what you're saying ends up being true, it's seriously f-ed up.

They did reply that I would get an update in June, a couple months before the end of my free period, which may be their way to push the last route maps update before the end of the free period and also avoid some well justified anger.

In any case, for the future, I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the HU to entrynav2 or an evo. If it's a matter of purchasing the HU and doing some coding I could be able to do it myself. I've seen at least one video on youtube of a company called Elebest doing an evo ID6 retrofit on an X1.

But I'm still very ignorant on many details of the process, there's not that much information for the X1. Or I just haven't found it yet.
Yes, I am genuinely sorry earlier build X1 owners have been so badly treated by BMW regarding map updates. Let us hope “Europe route 2019-2” is issued in June

With regard to updating your Head Unit the simple answer is that it is possible and if you were to do this, it would probably be better to go for an NBTevo HU from different model (if only because coding and adding options such as CarPlay is possible/easier).

The bigger question is whether it is easy or cheap to do such an upgrade and in my view the answer is no. Reading through a number of forums, it is clear to me that these upgrades are complicated and require a lot of expertise/tools. So it is not an easy D.I.Y job. Such a major retrofit would also affect the resale value of your car because dealers would probably not support any problems. I suggest you start searching through bimmerpost or bimmerfest threads on such upgrades before making a decision, so I advise caution.

I will keep my finger crossed all you good people get the new “route 2019-2” mapping in a few weeks time.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am genuinely sorry earlier build X1 owners have been so badly treated by BMW regarding map updates. Let us hope “Europe route 2019-2” is issued in June

With regard to updating your Head Unit the simple answer is that it is possible and if you were to do this, it would probably be better to go for an NBTevo HU from different model (if only because coding and adding options such as CarPlay is possible/easier).

The bigger question is whether it is easy or cheap to do such an upgrade and in my view the answer is no. Reading through a number of forums, it is clear to me that these upgrades are complicated and require a lot of expertise/tools. So it is not an easy D.I.Y job. Such a major retrofit would also affect the resale value of your car because dealers would probably not support any problems. I suggest you start searching through bimmerpost or bimmerfest threads on such upgrades before making a decision, so I advise caution.

I will keep my finger crossed all you good people get the new “route 2019-2” mapping in a few weeks time.
Thanks for the clarification, if I'm going to deal with a lot of trouble I'd rather avoid the whole DIY retrofit unless I can find an expert.

I'll update the thread / forum when an update to the Europe Route maps drops.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, if I'm going to deal with a lot of trouble I'd rather avoid the whole DIY retrofit unless I can find an expert.

I'll update the thread / forum when an update to the Europe Route maps drops.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #20
BMW JV
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 xline 20i Sdrive

I also got a three year free update on maps when i bought a very expensive new BMW X1.
Sofar the map has updated only once. 2018-1.
And that map was already outdated when it came out. BMW has got until the end of this year to proven this to be value for money.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #21
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JV View Post
I also got a three year free update on maps when i bought a very expensive new BMW X1.
Sofar the map has updated only once. 2018-1.
And that map was already outdated when it came out. BMW has got until the end of this year to proven this to be value for money.
I hope I’m not stating the obvious, and something you may have already done, but have you attempted to update via a USB download of the latest mapping? Apologies if you’ve already tried that route
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I hope I’m not stating the obvious, and something you may have already done, but have you attempted to update via a USB download of the latest mapping? Apologies if you’ve already tried that route
I believe that's the only way we can update the Route maps, and the latest Europe Route is 2018-1. Thanks BMW. :
Appreciate 0