BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Re-Syncing Key Fob after battery replacement?

03-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
kaszeta
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1

Re-Syncing Key Fob after battery replacement?

Our primary remote for our year-old X1 stopped working. I have to hold it to the steering column to restart.

I figured, "Hey, replace the battery", even though one year life seems low.

The old battery isn't the greatest voltage, 2.96 volts, but I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new 2032, and....

Still doesn't work.

Some indications that I may need to re-sync the key, but I can't find X1-relevant instructions.

Ideas? Or is this a dead key now?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Our primary remote for our year-old X1 stopped working. I have to hold it to the steering column to restart.

I figured, "Hey, replace the battery", even though one year life seems low.

The old battery isn't the greatest voltage, 2.96 volts, but I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new 2032, and....

Still doesn't work.

Some indications that I may need to re-sync the key, but I can't find X1-relevant instructions.

Ideas? Or is this a dead key now?
It should not require resync after a battery change, especially when old battery still had good voltage.
To resync - Get into car with other key. Leave other key well away from car. Place key (primary remote) against key markings on steering column (if no markings then place key against steering column where lock would have been). Keep key held in place and push start button of car. Ignition should now come on or if auto and you have foot on brake, the engine should start. If this does not work then make sure battery is correctly fitted. If still does not work then probably need to get it replaced f.o.c (still in warranty) from dealer.

If resync works then you will probably need to re-assign driver profile details through idrive.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-04-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
kaszeta
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1

Well, after several rounds of having to manually place the remote against the key markings, it eventually started working again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
randymou
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xDrive

Well this is great news. Just picked up my new-to-me 2018 X1 and wanted to get a 3rd key as a precaution.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
2016 F48 fob battery error.

One of my fobs put up a low voltage battery error each time I unlock the car, I've replaced the CR2030 cell battery (3.3v) but still this error shows when using that fob, the second fob works fine with no error displays.
Any advice will be appreciated thanks.
      12-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

I had the same issue having replaced the battery - to remedy I removed the battery and careful lifted the two sprung metal connections that press onto the underside of the battery.
I also checked that the outer metal connections were had sufficient tension against the batteries edge

In addition to this it is also recommended to make sure battery faces are absolutely clean and free from finger grease etc. I have found that roughing the faces and edge of the battery with fine grit paper helps to establish a better connection.

It's all down to the battery face to key fob connections ohmic resistance and making the battery a "snugger" fit will always help minimise any such resistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 05:13 AM   #7
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I've had this. Think it was down to duff batteries I've had in a drawer for years. Bought some decent Energiser new ones. Apparently Varta brand are meant to be very good. Trouble is most of the batteries bought on line are fake, and it's impossible to tell. I've even had Duracells from Anazon which have turned out to be poor quality lead acid fakes, which ruined my LEDLenser torch.
Appreciate 0