BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Sport seats not good for short people

11-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Sport seats not good for short people

So, took the X1 for a test drive for my wife who is short (just over 5'). The test car has the sport seats that for me felt very good. For her however, the front extension that extends behind the knees does not retract far enough (like my M5's do) so she complained about being uncomfortable. The regular seats do not have enough lateral support. Why did BMW leave those extensions hanging so far out? Any solutions to this problem? She like everything else about the car except that.
Appreciate 1
Vogit92.50
      11-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
So, took the X1 for a test drive for my wife who is short (just over 5'). The test car has the sport seats that for me felt very good. For her however, the front extension that extends behind the knees does not retract far enough (like my M5's do) so she complained about being uncomfortable. The regular seats do not have enough lateral support. Why did BMW leave those extensions hanging so far out? Any solutions to this problem? She like everything else about the car except that.
Strange..we test drove more than a few x1's B4 buying our 2017 M Sport...we really enjoy driving it..took a long road trip 2500-3000 miles last summer, with both of us driving long stints...a joy. Wife is just a "tad" under 5 feet, we both drive with the extensions fully in. Only complaint is that the M steering wheel diameter makes it hard to adjust to see both the top of the instruments and the bottom info window at the same time..kinda have to "scooch" around in the seat to see it all...no so with our E90 3281 M sport..ergonomics engineering department must have been on a ski holiday out of Munich when the X1 interior design was finalized?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Can't comment on the seat extension issue for shorter folk, but the instrument panel visibility issue requires a bit of trial-and-error fiddling with the seat adjustment (especially height), and steering wheel reach and rake. We're both happy with the positions we've memorised now.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
Are the M Sport seats same as the optional sport seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
Strange..we test drove more than a few x1's B4 buying our 2017 M Sport...we really enjoy driving it..took a long road trip 2500-3000 miles last summer, with both of us driving long stints...a joy. Wife is just a "tad" under 5 feet, we both drive with the extensions fully in. Only complaint is that the M steering wheel diameter makes it hard to adjust to see both the top of the instruments and the bottom info window at the same time..kinda have to "scooch" around in the seat to see it all...no so with our E90 3281 M sport..ergonomics engineering department must have been on a ski holiday out of Munich when the X1 interior design was finalized?
BTW, my wife really liked the steering wheel on the X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
Jeannie333
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 20i M Sport

I'm wondering if it was a slight anomaly with that car, as I am just over 5' and I was so pleased with the seating position after I test drove the M Sport, that I ordered a new car. I wonder if the leather seats would be any different if you upgraded the seats in the M sport to leather. Although I must admit I am not keen on leather seats and so I loved the seats in the M Sport :-)
      11-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

I think it's not just height, but relative leg length and preferred seating position: my wife, who's 5'4", could not get on with the sports seats as the extension dug into the back of her legs (It's not just the X1 - a lot of other cars rule themselves out because of this).

Agree about the instrument visibility (I'm 6'1") - I can't get a position where I'm comfortable and also see both the top & bottom of the panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
Yeah, this car may get ruled out

It's unfortunate but the way they package features, you cannot get some of the other 'sport' features without getting sport seats. And you are correct I think it has to do with how deep the seat is. When my wife sits all the way back, the knee joint is actually on top of the thigh extension instead of in front of it. And, the stupid plastic handle to extend/retract protrudes even further instead of being out of the way. I tried the standard seat today, it is not bad, not as bolstered around the thighs but not bad. Unfortunately, it's hard to equip the car right as many of the options end up including the sport seats.
I am interested primary in the M-Sport suspension and that adds the M-Sport Package which add the seats. I would love the suspension without the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
So, took the X1 for a test drive for my wife who is short (just over 5'). The test car has the sport seats that for me felt very good. For her however, the front extension that extends behind the knees does not retract far enough (like my M5's do) so she complained about being uncomfortable.
Have you tried adjusting the angle of the lower seat cushion with the front-most, rectangular shaped electric control to cause the cushion to be slightly tilted forward? It could also help by lowering the seat to effectively raise the back of the knees/thighs to reduce contact with this extension.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
I will try that next time.Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Have you tried adjusting the angle of the lower seat cushion with the front-most, rectangular shaped electric control to cause the cushion to be slightly tilted forward? It could also help by lowering the seat to effectively raise the back of the knees/thighs to reduce contact with this extension.
The X1 loaner is back at the dealer now, I would have to take another trip to see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
I think it's not just height, but relative leg length and preferred seating position: my wife, who's 5'4", could not get on with the sports seats as the extension dug into the back of her legs (It's not just the X1 - a lot of other cars rule themselves out because of this).

Agree about the instrument visibility (I'm 6'1") - I can't get a position where I'm comfortable and also see both the top & bottom of the panel.
My X1 has the standard seats which I totally hate. Miss my Recaros in my JCW Clubman S. My other half is also 5'4" who drives a 2016 F55 5 door MINI that has the same sport seats as the X1 sport package. Who has no issues with the sport seats in the mini. But we both have issues getting comfortable and seeing the instrument cluster in the X1. I would love to swap the standard seats out with sport seats which will never happen.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 12-06-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
My wife is just over 5' and that's exactly how we solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
socalX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

We came across the same issue. I loved the M Sport seats. But she's just over 5 feet and couldnt bend her knees 90 degrees in them. For that reason, we didnt get the M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

My wife is 5’5” and finds the standard seats with the lumber support brilliant. Our physio had advised because of her back that she should have her legs at roughly 90 degrees to her torso do, and the bottom half of her legs from the knees on a further 90 degrees.
We tried the Volvo XC60 which I preferred but my wife just could not get the right seat adjustment.
Appreciate 0