BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Volvo will limit all its new cars to 112MPH

03-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #111
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think I was the one called spineless in this topic

There is no situation thinkable in the matter of this speed limited volvo that you could use without severely breaking the law.
I mean your ABS or airbags or seatbelts... All compulsory.
I don't hear you about that. Yet they limit your valued freedom and valued autonomy.
Why is that?

And a system that wouldnt allow a car to start if a drunk driver would crawl behind the wheel, I'm ALL for that!
Drinking and driving is a no-go as far as I'm concerned (And if they can extend that to other drugs... excellent).
The fact that you read time and time again that some dumb drunken f#ck hit a family crossing the street on a zebra crossing killing them makes me sick every time I read about that.

What do you think about speed limits in general? Would you rather live in a world without them? Sure that would give you so much more freedom and autonomy.
But.......do you have kids?
You didn’t answer my question. Completely ducked it. Not surprised.
      03-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #112
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
I think I was the one called spineless in this topic

There is no situation thinkable in the matter of this speed limited volvo that you could use without severely breaking the law.
I mean your ABS or airbags or seatbelts... All compulsory.
I don't hear you about that. Yet they limit your valued freedom and valued autonomy.
Why is that?

And a system that wouldnt allow a car to start if a drunk driver would crawl behind the wheel, I'm ALL for that!
Drinking and driving is a no-go as far as I'm concerned (And if they can extend that to other drugs... excellent).
The fact that you read time and time again that some dumb drunken f#ck hit a family crossing the street on a zebra crossing killing them makes me sick every time I read about that.

What do you think about speed limits in general? Would you rather live in a world without them? Sure that would give you so much more freedom and autonomy.
But.......do you have kids?
I wouldn't mind a system in my car (or other peoples cars) that would limit the ability to excessive speeding, certainly in high risk areas.
TBH the maximum speed on highways/autobahns is for me personal the least of the priorities. I'd rather see a geofenced limiter mandatory on cars entering for example school areas, or strict residential areas where kids play around and dogs around etc. Those areas are of far higher risks imho.
And I'd rather see Volvo concentrating on this, but I suspect thats not yet technologically feasable.
I mean I dont have kids, but if I look at how fast some people drive in my street (not a cul de sac but similar, just homes).... I still wouldnt want to see the kids of my neighbours get hit and die by someone with a morning temper late for work....

Perhaps my empathy level is stronger than the average american one.
I'm at least not afraid of a discussion around such systems. I wouldn't want a system that exactly limits your speed to the speed limit at any place all the time (as I think that would also 'dumb down' driving skills), but a system that takes excessive things away, especially in high risk areas with mainly vulnerable road users (pedestrains, especially kids) , I'm all for that.
This is also partly because I think that by far not everyone is fit to drive. Sometimes it seems that passing your driving license is a 'right' (and then I live in a country where passing for your license takes far more training and has a higher age restriction), but I totally don't feel that way.
I think the average driver isnt occupied with driving at all. Far to undisciplined, and far to distracted. Lacking responsibility yet allowed to drive.
So I also hope that 100% autonomous driving becomes a possibility as fast as possible as I think that people who'd rather play with their phones behind the wheel will certainly go for that. (taking away another of my annoyances).

But not even wanting to start or participate in a discussion on these topics will certainly not help make things safer imho.
At one point the discussion about seatbelts, airbags and whatnot also had to be started. And also turned out to be a good thing imho.
Cool story
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #113
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Now we know where all the missing Nazis went! They are all hiding in Sweden working for Volvo!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #114
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Perhaps my empathy level is stronger than the average american one.
Perhaps your just more easily duped into forfeiting your freedoms than the average American.
      03-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #115
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Now we know where all the missing Nazis went! They are all hiding in Sweden working for Volvo!!
Godwin's Law, gotta love it
Darth One6612.50
      03-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #116
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
If at least one person gets the joke, it's all worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #117
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post