F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DT Systems tuning box
ARMA SPEED

11-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
Don't believe any statements about efficiency as they are simply not true.

All these resistor tuning boxes do is trick the car into putting more fuel into the combustion chamber than the ECU thinks is going in. If you add one to a car which doesn't have a DPF, you can see by the amount of soot that shoots from the exhaust when you floor it. The part of the car that calculates MPG does not know that more fuel is going in, so because you put your foot down less to get the same result, it reports you get better MPG.

I had one of my pre-LCI 320d for a couple of months and took it off in the end after deciding it wasn't worth the risk. It definitely added more torque, but it was a little embarrassing leaving a cloud of soot at traffic lights. So the other major concern is how it will effect the DPF over the long term, because it'll have a lot more work to do burning off all the extra black stuff.
Like remaps there are good and bad ones.

The cheap resistor style systems arent worth the 2p they cost to make.

A decent system that is not just a box of resistors which can control the fuelling, and the boost is a much safer option.

Regarding false economy claims, id have to disagree moreso as i have customers who have worked out their MPG manually and have seen genuine savings.

We currently have a VOLVO FH460 saving 9% on his fuel, which over a year is going to save this customer over £11,000

So please dont tar all tuning boxes the same, as theyre not.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@DTUK View Post
Like remaps there are good and bad ones.

The cheap resistor style systems arent worth the 2p they cost to make.

A decent system that is not just a box of resistors which can control the fuelling, and the boost is a much safer option.

Regarding false economy claims, id have to disagree moreso as i have customers who have worked out their MPG manually and have seen genuine savings.

We currently have a VOLVO FH460 saving 9% on his fuel, which over a year is going to save this customer over £11,000

So please dont tar all tuning boxes the same, as theyre not.
Andrew,

Can you give us a little insight into what you do to make the engine perform better. I know upping boost pressures will give you power, but I am more interested in what parameters your company delves into to give 'a better map'. This is specifically for a modern high pressure turbo diesel like the N57.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Andrew,

Can you give us a little insight into what you do to make the engine perform better. I know upping boost pressures will give you power, but I am more interested in what parameters your company delves into to give 'a better map'. This is specifically for a modern high pressure turbo diesel like the N57.
Another interested party here.
      11-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #26
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

I tried one of the DTUK boxes in my wife's car and didn't get on with it.

On the settings that felt more powerful the engine wasn't running right, it was chugging on a light throttle. On the other settings it didn't feel that different.

And yes, it caused havoc with the fuel computer.

Also a small thing to note, when I tried to return the box the attitude changed and it felt like I was dealing with a different company.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #27
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot View Post
Also a small thing to note, when I tried to return the box the attitude changed and it felt like I was dealing with a different company.
Same experience I had too even though they make a big deal about their '14 day money back guarantee'.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Same experience I had too!
Put me right off, no thanks.
      11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Andrew has no words to say now does he
Dissatisfied customers now days broadcast there wows on the internet and kills sales of products that "do NOT do what they say on the tin".
      11-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Richard

Your system was tested on my own CLS350CDI and as I said at the time it worked perfectly.

Since then we have identified issues with the 350cdi kits wiring harness which has resulted in the wiring harnesses being reworked.

One of the biggest issues we have with kits is mis fitment by the end user. At the end of the day that's one thing we have no control over and even with full colour instructions and 24 hour telephone support customers continue to ignore them, and connect kits to the wrong sensors.

Stupot, the kit on your q5 didn't do exactly what you wanted it to do, again this system was tested on our own 2,0 tdi Leon and worked perfectly.

At the time you were told that we had some new software available for DSG equipped cars that we offered to you.

Our systems will work well on 95% of a certain vehicle, the other 5% can be put down to the certain tolerance levels being less extreme or customers expectations

The systems are installed with 4 maps that cover 95% of customers expectations, if a customer isn't happy then we will (as we did with you) offer a custom file set based on feedback from the customer.

We've recently updated the software for the Audi 2,0 and 3.0 which is continuing to receive great feedback on the Audi forums
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Andrew has no words to say now does he
Dissatisfied customers now days broadcast there wows on the internet and kills sales of products that "do NOT do what they say on the tin".
My wife is 8 months pregnant and I was attending ante natal classes yesterday, so I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner,

I don't profess to be perfect, and if there is a problem I will do my best to rectify the issue, this is why we run various vehicles on fleet do that we have access to vehicles to test systems customers have issues with

As per my previous comments, when there is an issue we try to resolve it, but a lot if this depends on the customers belief and trust in us/me.

As mentioned Richards kit in his CLS 350Cdi worked perfectly well on my own car, why did he gave issues? 1)mis fitment or 2) the tolerance levels on his particular car were a lot less than normal, as the fact is that the kit worked perfectly on our identical vehicle.

I spend a lot of time developing the software and rely a lot on customer feedback, if there is an issue and I'm giving the facts ill try my best to rectify it
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My wife is 8 months pregnant and I was attending ante natal classes yesterday, so I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner,

I don't profess to be perfect, and if there is a problem I will do my best to rectify the issue, this is why we run various vehicles on fleet do that we have access to vehicles to test systems customers have issues with

As per my previous comments, when there is an issue we try to resolve it, but a lot if this depends on the customers belief and trust in us/me.

As mentioned Richards kit in his CLS 350Cdi worked perfectly well on my own car, why did he gave issues? 1)mis fitment or 2) the tolerance levels on his particular car were a lot less than normal, as the fact is that the kit worked perfectly on our identical vehicle.

I spend a lot of time developing the software and rely a lot on customer feedback, if there is an issue and I'm giving the facts ill try my best to rectify it
Hat's off to you Andrew for a quick response and a good one IMO, I was somewhat "Pointed" as I wanted a response from "The horses mouth", and got one, will have a look again at your products once the car is run-in.
      11-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #33
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hat's off to you Andrew for a quick response and a good one IMO, I was somewhat "Pointed" as I wanted a response from "The horses mouth", and got one, will have a look again at your products once the car is run-in.
(ive just seen your post john when typing this up, so if it looks out of sync you know why)

Ive come down to the office rather than using my iphone t home.

Id like to apologise to Richard as to be honest i couldnt understand why your kit didnt work out on your car, but i explained earlier and at the time the hardwear was in perfect order and i was more than confident in being able to tune your car, moreso as i had an identical vehicle. So sorry if you feel i let you down in anyway.

The same goes for Stuart, weve tuned 100's of VAGs with this 2.0TDI engine and the feedback has been positive. I cant remember exactly when you purchased your system but we did change the software after a customer with a DSG equipped Skoda mentioned a similar issue, once the software was rejigged he was over the moon. Im passionate about what i do,but as i said earlier sometimes even i cant give people exactly what they want, in your case i couldnt as you had lost confidence and didnt want to try the updated software.I know at the time your biggest gripe was our restocking fee, which is their to cover the cost of the wiring looms/casings of the modules that 9/10 we cant re-use.

For every bad bit of feedback, we have 100 positives which gives me the confidence in myself and my business.

We deal with approx 50 new time bombs on a weekly basis, as previously mentioned the biggest issue can be the end user.

If were all honest, how often do you (a man) actually read a set of fitting instructions? If any of you do work with the public on a daily basis, youll know exactly what i mean, im as guilty as my own customers. Weve just bought a gas heater from Amazon, one of the guys said that the heater was faulty, as when it was moved the heater switched off. So the first thing i did was get onto amazon saying the heater was faulty to be told it was a safety feature.

The point im trying to make is that were all human, and we are all guilty of making mistakes, even though as men thats the last thing we will admit too.

For clarification, this is an example of how customers can make a mistake. In this case its an E350CDI

the 1st photo is a snippet of our fitting instructions, which point out the common rail plug, right next to a silver metal bracket:

This 2nd photo was supplied by the customer, the GREEN circle shows the correct plug, then RED circle the incorrect plug..

The customer managed to find an identical 3 pin d shaped plug which i didnt know existed.

So, even with full colour fitting instructions the customer isnt always right and can make mistakes, not that the majority of men would ever admit to that. As men are never wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks to Andrew for his input and concerns for his customers, seems to me if you talk to him rather than Emailing, you get the kind of help you need to rectify any problems you could encounter.
It would seem some people have connected the plugs to the wrong connectors, this is human after all, and without an exact picture could make a mistake, some software "glitches" have been encountered and rectified,so cant be fearer than that. I think you've done yourself no harm at all Andrew.
      11-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I'm certain I didn't install it incorrectly. The concern from Stuart and myself was that when you come to return the box you get a very different reception. Despite the bold 14 day money back guarantee, I returned it within that time but did not receive a full refund. That is my main gripe. The box didn't work in my car, it's not that I changed my mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I'm certain I didn't install it incorrectly. The concern from Stuart and myself was that when you come to return the box you get a very different reception. Despite the bold 14 day money back guarantee, I returned it within that time but did not receive a full refund. That is my main gripe. The box didn't work in my car, it's not that I changed my mind.
Richard

I don't have our email conversations to hand, but as I've previously said that the kit was tested on my own 350cdi and it worked perfectly.

If it hadn't I would of told you that at the time, at the end of the day the kit wasnt just bench tested it, it was tested on an identical car and it worked fine

just say the issue was down to you mis fitting the kit (well never know) which resulted in your dissatisfaction in the system, you returned the system and it cost us for the software, and the cost if a replacement loom.

There has to be an element of responsibility, this is what our restocking fee covers

Communication is the key in any problem, you may prefer to stick to emails, but there is nothing better than speaking to someone either face to face or on the phone whenever an issue arises.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks to Andrew for his input and concerns for his customers, seems to me if you talk to him rather than Emailing, you get the kind of help you need to rectify any problems you could encounter.
It would seem some people have connected the plugs to the wrong connectors, this is human after all, and without an exact picture could make a mistake, some software "glitches" have been encountered and rectified,so cant be fearer than that. I think you've done yourself no harm at all Andrew.
My phone never leaves my side John, I've never said were perfect but there is only so much you can say and do via email/ text etc.

As per our telephone conversations ill email the fitting instructions to you once your car arrives, then speak to you so were 100% certain on the fitting

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #38
Spacebug
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 320D M Sport

Hi Andrew,

How does the tuning box work with the different driving modes? Does it apply a boost equally to all modes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #39
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebug View Post
Hi Andrew,

How does the tuning box work with the different driving modes? Does it apply a boost equally to all modes?

Thanks
All 4 programmes/maps increase the fuel pressure plus turbo pressure, there are slight variations in these curves which has quite a big difference on how the car reacts

We sell a lot of kits to Nissan Navara owners, and when members ask who's running which map/setting the answer are always varied.

You can run the same map/setting on 2 identical cars and both cars will react and drive differently

If bambino wasn't due in January, I would of been running an F31 instead of the q7 s as I have a soft spot fir the BMW engines
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #40
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks
Using my Iphone, so apologies for typing..

When you mentioned modes, did you mean the tuning box or the various driver modes on your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Got to say having visited your site, I am not left with the feeling that the customer comes first. Your T&C's are heavily biased in your favour.
I am also concerned about the potentially misleading content regarding manufacturers warranty, and suspect many customers are not fully informed what risk they run by fitting such a device.

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #42
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Got to say having visited your site, I am not left with the feeling that the customer comes first. Your T&C's are heavily biased in your favour.
I am also concerned about the potentially misleading content regarding manufacturers warranty, and suspect many customers are not fully informed what risk they run by fitting such a device.

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.
Misleading?

As long as the system is removed before heading to your dealer then there are no implications.

If a system is returned first and foremost we test the box electronically and on a car. We did have a CLS on fleet so we could take that test one step further and try Richards kit on a car, fact was that it worked without issue and we wre left with a used kit.

We can't vehicle test every system, but do our best to do so to prove that the kits are in good working order

Any potential faulty systems are all then sent to Germany to be tested.

We offer a 3 year warranty on all systems which is replace not repair.

If a customer rings us with a potential issue, we ask them to follow certain procedures if that doesn't rectify the issue the system is replaced. Upon its return the system is tested by us (even though we send a brand new system out) to see if we can find any issues.

Sometimes problems can be car related that are enhanced by the extra pressures created by tuning, in this case if a replacement system has the same issues, then our stance us that it is the car at fault not our system
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #43
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Feel free to contact Kevin who purchased his crd2 2 years ago,,,

Buyer take note, we have nothing to hide.

Hello

Just a quick note to say thanks so much for your help with this. The car has has run perfectly since the new CRD2 box was fitted. MPG back up so too is driving pleasure....!

Thanks

To: sales@diesel-performance.co.uk
Subject: RE: CRD 2 problem... (kevin lewis)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:39:25 +0100

Ok, thank you. Wierd that the bench test shows no issue.

My car has run fine without it this last week or so. Obviously not as responsive and I have noticed a loss of about 5 MPG without it fitted!

To: kele16v@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: CRD 2 problem... (kevin lewis)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:28:50 +0100

Hi Kevin,

weve tested the module on the bench and there are no issues with the module, the option from here is to install the module on one of our own cars ( i have a 3.0 Q7) or replace the whole kit.

So what weve decided to do is replace the whole kit for you.

So post office willing, the whole kit will be with you tomorrow

Regards,
Andrew Pawley
Managing Director
Diesel Tuning UK LTD
Office 01207 299538
Mobile: 07977 466 007
email: andrew@diesel-performance.co.uk
facebook: www.facebook.com/dieseltuninguk
twitter: @dieseltuninguk

address: 11C Tanfield Lea North Industrial Estate,
Tanfield Lea, Stanley, Co.Durham DH9 9UU
Registered in England and Wales.
Company Registration Number 5649339
The Information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
Opinions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Diesel Tuning UK Ltd. are neither given nor endorsed by it

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 2:15 PM
To: mailto:sales@dieseltuninguk.com

Hi

I was just wondering if you have had an opportunity to take a look at my CRD-2 box as yet?

Regards
Kevin Lewis

To: sales@dieseltuninguk.com
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:56:03 +0100

Its an Audi A8 3.0 V6 Tdi 233ps

Subject: Re: CRD 2 problem... (kevin lewis)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:50:03 +0100
To: kele16v@hotmail.com

Which model of Audi go you have? And which engine ?

Regards,
Andrew Pawley
Managing Director
Diesel Tuning UK LTD
Office: 01207 299538
Mobile: 07977 466 007
email: andrew@diesel-performance.co.uk
facebook: www.facebook.com/dieseltuninguk
twitter: @dieseltuninguk
Sent from iPhone.

On 8 Oct 2012, at 09:47, KEVIN LEWIS <kele16v@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ok, will do. Thank you....

If it does turn out to require a replacement under warrentee I am happy to pay the difference to upgrade to the CRD-T. Any way, let me know what you think once you've had a look at it.

Last edited by Andrew@DTUK; 11-04-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Misleading?

As long as the system is removed before heading to your dealer then there are no implications.
Nice, something very trusting about a company that advocates deception as the best policy
Appreciate 0