BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

09-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #155
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Haha come on you do want to see me lying across my engine bay don't you?

The JB4 only taps the map and Tmap, so the same two plugs at the front of the engine bay. I routed the JB4 box all the way up by the battery and tied it down on the strut bar. There's the canbus plug that has the OBDII jumper, that you route through the firewall conveniently right by that battery location and down to the OBDII sensor. Honestly I thought that was part of the package and not an option? The only "add ons" were the Data cable OR the Bluetooth adapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #156
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Wastegate is part number 7.. wedged waaay by the firewall. The amount of things in the way... EVERYTHING.

Okay if I could get that clip off it would be better, but still a good bunch of time getting there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #157
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Haha come on you do want to see me lying across my engine bay don't you?

The JB4 only taps the map and Tmap, so the same two plugs at the front of the engine bay. I routed the JB4 box all the way up by the battery and tied it down on the strut bar. There's the canbus plug that has the OBDII jumper, that you route through the firewall conveniently right by that battery location and down to the OBDII sensor. Honestly I thought that was part of the package and not an option? The only "add ons" were the Data cable OR the Bluetooth adapter.
Wow, shit. So does this mean for the JB4 to function properly to read RPMs that the OBDII cable does indeed have to be plugged in? Not just for logging, but operation? Can you find this out for me? This is kinda bullshit IMO as no knock on BMS JB4, but the TDI at least is tapping the RPMs, and I definly can feel it and see the RPMs change the 'right' way.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #158
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wastegate is part number 7.. wedged waaay by the firewall. The amount of things in the way... EVERYTHING.

Okay if I could get that clip off it would be better, but still a good bunch of time getting there.
Wow, definitely not a good place to work on if you were on the side of the road for some problem Dayam!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #159
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Wow, shit. So does this mean for the JB4 to function properly to read RPMs that the OBDII cable does indeed have to be plugged in? Not just for logging, but operation? Can you find this out for me? This is kinda bullshit IMO as no knock on BMS JB4, but the TDI at least is tapping the RPMs, and I definly can feel it and see the RPMs change the 'right' way.
no, it doesn't have to be plugged into the obdii sensor to function properly.

you don't even need to have the bluetooth app and connection device either, really, but you'd be stuck on map1 forever and it turns out that map 2 is a great deal better than map 1.
      09-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #160
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

So now I am wondering how the JB4 MAP is really made compared to systems with multi sensors if OBDII is not used?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #161
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So now I am wondering how the JB4 MAP is really made compared to systems with multi sensors if OBDII is not used?
i mean, it's just a piggyback unit that touted as being more sophisticated than its counterparts, but again, at the end of the day it's just a piggyback unit.

as for the making of the original maps, well, those were done by bms but as map 1 is shitty, they didn't do such a great job, or rather this unit is marketed more toward the 28i version of the b48, so that's likely where it performs better. that said, map 2 is great, thankfully.
      09-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #162
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I emailed Terry about the OBDII and what's needed or not. I found some conflicting answers about n54/n55 jb4 in terms of: 1) it is needed to log in general as I found out 2) you can't go past map 0 or 1... which Davy has obviously disproved by being able to see a difference with map 1 going into map2.

He said I needed to get more throttle heavy logs (not WOT as I told him I just want the extra driveability/response from map2) and so hopefully he can see something.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #163
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I emailed Terry about the OBDII and what's needed or not. I found some conflicting answers about n54/n55 jb4 in terms of: 1) it is needed to log in general as I found out 2) you can't go past map 0 or 1... which Davy has obviously disproved by being able to see a difference with map 1 going into map2.

He said I needed to get more throttle heavy logs (not WOT as I told him I just want the extra driveability/response from map2) and so hopefully he can see something.
Thanks. Still sounds obfuscated though.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #164
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
I know.. but even with the angle I got the C clamp out, it didn't fully come out of the groove, so the intake was still locked in. It's more like i couldn't get it out straight, but rather crooked and it was wedged by the engine bay so I couldn't really straighten it out more. It's in such a horrible place... after that I would have had to get some acrobatics to get to that wastegate next..
Yeah I'm still not understanding the issue or maybe it's because I work on theses vehicles everyday. I can get that pipe out in about 7 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #165
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Davy Jordi I think you mentioned that you have the Bluetooth connectivity to the JB4 and did not run the OBDII cable into the cabin, right? With that being said, can you tell me when you try to go to 'START LOGGING' in the App, are you able to see various readings, and if so, which readings?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #166
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i haven't tried at all to log anything. i was adamant about not wanting to go back and forth with logging information either for my own satisfaction (as that's a far from satisfactory process for me) or for the benefit of BMS.

if i had to log anything or look at any figures to configure the device, then it would have been returned. thankfully stage 2 worked out really well in my case providing for a noticeable increase in power and torque as measured by the butt dyno and that was that. map 1, on the other hand, don't even bother because that map is screwed up for our engine application.

even at WOT i have not had the unit kick me back into default OEM settings as it has with rice_rocket88, so i don't know if there are idiosyncrasies between the CARB version (which i have as a CA resident) and the non-CARB version which is updated more frequently as the CARB version was approved by decree based on a certain software version using particular hardware, so i would imagine that might have something to do with it. my unit cannot be changed, although i am able to create my own map, but the need just isn't there. maps 3 and above are for people with boltons and/or who are using different types of fuel (e85 or methanol mixtures).

and yes, i do have the BT unit and i did not route the cable through the firewall and into the cabin. the cable that it came with to plug into the obdii port is sitting in the box still somewhere in the garage.
      09-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #167
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
Yeah I'm still not understanding the issue or maybe it's because I work on theses vehicles everyday. I can get that pipe out in about 7 minutes.
I'm sure it's because you've done it a bunch more.. Unless for some god awful reason my car has tighter tolerance.. I don't think there would be anything special about that or it being an m35i. I suppose if I had some assurances of help. I'm afraid of breaking things or not being able to get it back together and then my car is stranded... . I already found at least two broken mounting tabs/points that were most likely broken when my wastegat/turbo recall was done. If I was more OCD I would complain to bmw, but in reality it's not worth it . The fact that to reach that c clip I'm using my longest pry bar. If it came off or anything like that, I would never be able to get it back without successfully taking it apart.

The sad part is I would rate myself at least a 7/10 for being a weekend warrior.. I can swap an engine so I would give myself at least that many points vs not being able to change a tire...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #168
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you can swap an engine but can't change a tire?!?!?!

that's like saying you can eat a horse but can't eat a cookie.
      09-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #169
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
i haven't tried at all to log anything. i was adamant about not wanting to go back and forth with logging information either for my own satisfaction (as that's a far from satisfactory process for me) or for the benefit of BMS.

if i had to log anything or look at any figures to configure the device, then it would have been returned. thankfully stage 2 worked out really well in my case providing for a noticeable increase in power and torque as measured by the butt dyno and that was that. map 1, on the other hand, don't even bother because that map is screwed up for our engine application.

even at WOT i have not had the unit kick me back into default OEM settings as it has with rice_rocket88, so i don't know if there are idiosyncrasies between the CARB version (which i have as a CA resident) and the non-CARB version which is updated more frequently as the CARB version was approved by decree based on a certain software version using particular hardware, so i would imagine that might have something to do with it. my unit cannot be changed, although i am able to create my own map, but the need just isn't there. maps 3 and above are for people with boltons and/or who are using different types of fuel (e85 or methanol mixtures).

and yes, i do have the BT unit and i did not route the cable through the firewall and into the cabin. the cable that it came with to plug into the obdii port is sitting in the box still somewhere in the garage.
I don't expect you to log in 'realz'. I just thought you may have 'tried it once' just for the heck of it. This is something I 'might' be doing this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #170
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
I'm sure it's because you've done it a bunch more.. Unless for some god awful reason my car has tighter tolerance.. I don't think there would be anything special about that or it being an m35i. I suppose if I had some assurances of help. I'm afraid of breaking things or not being able to get it back together and then my car is stranded... . I already found at least two broken mounting tabs/points that were most likely broken when my wastegat/turbo recall was done. If I was more OCD I would complain to bmw, but in reality it's not worth it . The fact that to reach that c clip I'm using my longest pry bar. If it came off or anything like that, I would never be able to get it back without successfully taking it apart.

The sad part is I would rate myself at least a 7/10 for being a weekend warrior.. I can swap an engine so I would give myself at least that many points vs not being able to change a tire...
This is probably the best video I could find. This should help you.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #171
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
you can swap an engine but can't change a tire?!?!?!

that's like saying you can eat a horse but can't eat a cookie.
Haha I can see how my wording put it.. but I was trying to say.. I think I'm accomplished enough that I should be able to do it. Vs. me being completely useless and not being able to change a tire. In theory getting this pipe off is giving me a hell of a lot of headache that I just gave up and decided I didn't have a ton to gain by having EWG control (ie it's enough boost as it is on the motor)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #172
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the video! About 2:31 in. I can say they make it look pretty easy! So I had my pry bar in and tried a long screwdriver and the best it seemed was only one side of the C clip popped, the other side stayed in. Perhaps the whole C clip came out, but I jiggled and the pipe itself didn't come loose.

God.. now it makes me want to try again.... haha.. We'll see.

Davy.. just the next time you drive, pull out your phone and turn on the jb4 app and hit connect. The default screen with gauges is already there and it'll either come to life.. or at least two of the gauges (top left is rpm and bottom left is IAT) will not move. I suspect that will be the case without that OBDII plug. Still the JB4 will function just fine. You know what.. now I'm wondering if I unplug that OBDII plug and peg it in map2 if it will not failsafe out. Although that may not be all that good, but at least with the OBDII out it still logs boost.. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it.

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 09-30-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #173
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the video! About 2:31 in. I can say they make it look pretty easy! So I had my pry bar in and tried a long screwdriver and the best it seemed was only one side of the C clip popped, the other side stayed in. Perhaps the whole C clip came out, but I jiggled and the pipe itself didn't come loose.

Davy.. just the next time you drive, pull out your phone and turn on the jb4 app and hit connect. The default screen with gauges is already there and it'll either come to life.. or at least two of the gauges (top left is rpm and bottom left is IAT) will not move. I suspect that will be the case without that OBDII plug. Still the JB4 will function just fine. You know what.. now I'm wondering if I unplug that OBDII plug and peg it in map2 if it will not failsafe out. Although that may not be all that good, but at least with the OBDII out it still logs boost.. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it.
I want to see/hear both are done! PLEASE.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #174
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

oh, yeah, so when i start the car up and hit connect, i can pretty much see the map placement as well as the rpm gauge and the rest of the gauges are still nonfunctional. i've never used the app while moving though, or rather looked at it while moving. after i drove the car WOT on two occasions as i really don't drive WOT really anywhere, but i did it out of curiosity's sake, i did pull out my phone and connect to see if the unit was still in map 2 even though i already knew it was because i felt no decrease in performance as if the unit would have used its failsafe to protect the car and it felt it didn't need to as when i checked both times it was still in map 2 as expected.
      09-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #175
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

So I assume that means we need OBDII connected even for the BT App, huh?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #176
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So I assume that means we need OBDII connected even for the BT App, huh?
Sounds like it.. Not like it's a huge deal breaker since the grommet is literally right there. Or... Just don't log
Appreciate 0