BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Why no BMW's racing at LeMans?

06-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Why no BMW's racing at LeMans?

I have been watching LeMans all day, but why are there no BMW's racing at LeMans?

They have that new M6 race car, does it not fit the specs of any of the LeMans classes?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
It does fit the specs but I guess they chose not to run this year or last year.
      06-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120160

Quote:
BMW has ruled out entering LMP1 in the World Endurance Championship.

The German firm's motorsport boss Jens Marquardt played down speculation last month that a P1 entry was on the cards for BMW, which won the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1999, and has now gone further by stating that the category would not fulfil its needs.

He said that a rulebook that places an emphasis on hybrid technology was not attractive to a manufacturer that is a leader in electric vehicle technology through its i sub-brand.

"The regulations in LMP1 will be new for 2017 and it will be a hybrid class where the key players are competing at a high level," said Marquardt.

"We see hybrid as a stepping-stone towards EV and EV as the future for BMW, which we showcase in the i sub-brand.

"This current set-up does not fulfil our needed criteria."

Marquardt also dismissed the idea that BMW could bid for a Garage 56 entry at Le Mans to showcase its EV credentials so long as the technology could not be used in LMP1.

"Should you do something for Garage 56 that you cannot use for any other application? That would be difficult," he explained.

"You cannot take one step and then go halfway or three quarters back."

"If BMW would do it, it would be more than a PR thing."

Marquardt reiterated BMW's intent to remain in the GT Le Mans class of the Tudor United SportsCar Championship so long as it could develop a suitable car out of its forthcoming M6 GT3.

He said BMW would remain in the US series "as long as we can have something there that is reasonably close enough [to the GT3 car] so that you don't have to develop a new car".

"We are working intensively on this, but it is still not a done deal," he continued.

"There is a dialogue with IMSA [the sanctioning body of the USC] and all the people involved; it is still a work in progress."
      06-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

"I choose not to run!"

-J. Seinfeld
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
We see hybrid as a stepping-stone towards EV and EV as the future for BMW, which we showcase in the i sub-brand.
The same i-brand that has a whopping one (1) vehicle that I can configure as a pure EV, and the same i-brand that basically had the plug pulled on it? That's the one you're showcasing?

What the heck is going on at BMW right now?!?!? Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. What a mismanaged mess.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Everything View Post
I have been watching LeMans all day, but why are there no BMW's racing at LeMans?

They have that new M6 race car, does it not fit the specs of any of the LeMans classes?
The M6 GTLM would most likely need some modifications to meet ACO regulations. ACO the governing body for 24hr Le Mans sets the general regulations for WeatherTech Sportscar Championship. IMSA then makes rule changes as they see fit for the American series. BMW ran into problems the last time they ran the E92 at Le Mans. ACO made them change their suspension setup to meet regulations, to match the stock M3. They were not allowed to use their double-wishbone suspension setup from the ALMS. Instead changed to front strut/rear multilink suspension. They ran poorly and obviously decided not to come back because they didn't get their way. They also were allowed to run more aero in ALMS at the time. I don't think BMW left on the best terms with the ACO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Everything View Post

Some insight as to why no BMW's at Le Mans.

Also a new car due in 2018. Article speculates next gen M6. But I have a feeling it will be based on the new Z5.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/bmw...ar-for-201819/
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I would like to see BMW in prototype class, not in pedestrian class.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I would like to see BMW in prototype class, not in pedestrian class.
That won't happen anytime soon. Sportscar racing is about all they care about now since its an extension of their branding. Most of their money now seems to be chasing technology for the 'next 100 years'

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
It's a shame that BMW isn't more involved in motorsports like LeMans, it seems they are happy with just a presence in DTM and reliance on privateers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_in_motorsport
Automatic Racing had entered a BMW M6 into the 2008 Rolex Sports Car Series season, driven by an all American team consisting of Jep Thorton, Tom Long, Joe Varde and David Russell. Turner Motorsport entered a BMW M6 for the 2010 season, followed by two BMW M3s from 2011-2013. They have racked up six Rolex GT wins and 24 top ten finishes in the GT class, including rare double class wins for the GT M3 and GS M3 at the Circuit of the Americas round in 2013.

I'd rather see BMW at Sebring, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen or Road Atlanta like WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, SCCA World Challenge in the US or Blancpain Endurance Series, British GT Championship in Europe.

But if Toyota can run in NASCAR . . . . just kidding!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Some insight as to why no BMW's at Le Mans.

Also a new car due in 2018. Article speculates next gen M6. But I have a feeling it will be based on the new Z5.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/bmw...ar-for-201819/
That would great if BMW made a GTE-spec car. I would love to see them in the WEC/Le Mans series and this would also solidify their position in the Weathertech series. However, 2018 seems awfully soon given the new M6 GT3 was just introduced this season.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The M6 GTLM would most likely need some modifications to meet ACO regulations. ACO the governing body for 24hr Le Mans sets the general regulations for WeatherTech Sportscar Championship. IMSA then makes rule changes as they see fit for the American series. BMW ran into problems the last time they ran the E92 at Le Mans. ACO made them change their suspension setup to meet regulations, to match the stock M3. They were not allowed to use their double-wishbone suspension setup from the ALMS. Instead changed to front strut/rear multilink suspension. They ran poorly and obviously decided not to come back because they didn't get their way. They also were allowed to run more aero in ALMS at the time. I don't think BMW left on the best terms with the ACO.
Yep. The M6 GTLM, much like the Z4 before it, was a compromise car and is basically a GT3 vehicle with some changes so it can run in IMSA. It would need a pretty significant overhaul for it to qualify as a GTE machine.
Of course, why BMW didn't do this to begin with is beyond me as others like Fezza, Aston, Porsche and hell even Shebby have no issues with differentiating.

I really think BMW dislikes motor racing in general and does it as a token so customers don't burn down their HQ.
      08-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
That would great if BMW made a GTE-spec car. I would love to see them in the WEC/Le Mans series and this would also solidify their position in the Weathertech series. However, 2018 seems awfully soon given the new M6 GT3 was just introduced this season.
I think they are in a hurry to replace the M6 because it's not a good design, and they're already coming out with a new TTV8 engine at 4.0L, and they want to showcase that. It's just too big and heavy and IMSA is never going to BoP them enough to put them up front and in contention IMO. The M6 felt like a rush job to me.

But like you, I pray they make BOTH a GTE and GT3 spec version this time around. WEC/ACO is the only reason I really watch sports cars. IMSA is okay when WEC is off but I'm not invested much in it.
      08-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

I think the m4 would have been a better fit in the gtlm/gt3 spec class...better aero , smaller restrictions with its 3.0 liter v6....and better handling dynamics???.....just saying. Message!!!!!!!! Bmw????
Appreciate 0