BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2018 x1 to 2021 x3

08-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

2018 x1 to 2021 x3

Just picked up my new 2021 x3, while trading in my 2018 x1 and just wanted to share my thoughts and comparison between the two cars as I figured there's potentially someone else here looking to make that transition. As it was something I had searched for when making the switch and trying to decide.

For a bit of background went from the 2018 x228 x1 to the 2021 x230 x3. The x1 had everything besides parking assist package and carplay where as the new x3 is fully equipped.

The addition of Carplay has been huge. It was something I wished I got originally and now that I have it, i'm very happy with it's functionality. I mostly use Waze / Spotify so not having to go back and forth on the phone is not only easier but safer as well. The parking assist has been pretty meh personally. I could completely see why some people might love it but I found it more annoying when driving through my building's garage. Since it beeps around every corner. I think i might try to lower to sensitivity or turn it off eventually.

In terms of the car I was pleasantly surprised with the drive and feel of the x3. I made the switch from the x1 to the x3 mostly because I wanted a bit more space but I didn't expect the drive to feel significantly better as well. The handling feels a lot smoother as well as the acceleration. I had no issues with the x1, dont get me wrong, and the whole time I was driving it, it felt ok to me but it wasn't until I made this switch that i noticed the differences. Of course there's about a $10-15k difference in price between these two cars so not sure if it would be worth that difference everyone.

Hopefully someone found this helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Thanks this is useful to me. I'll be honest I only went with the X1 because I prefer the look with msport and in Estoril Blue compared to the x3 which is a bit more mature looking even with msport but also for my wife who is used to driving a small car I thought the X1 would be an easier adjustment for her. But there are a few features I want from the x3. Lane assist, radar cruise, blind spot, pedestrian detection, hill hold assist. How do you find these work on the x3? Happy with the performance of these features?

Does CarPlay work with the HUD? I have an aftermarket CarPlay solution on the X1 but it doesn't project to the HUD which is a deal killer for us so we end up using the built in navi with real time traffic. How about in terms of driving position and the size of the x3 (bigger than the first x5), find it difficult to maneuver?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Thank you for posting. Did you like the space you got from the upgrade? Is it noticeable?
      08-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Does CarPlay work with the HUD? I have an aftermarket CarPlay solution on the X1 but it doesn't project to the HUD which is a deal killer for us so we end up using the built in navi with real time traffic.
Nope, only the native BMW navigation uses the HUD for directions.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Thanks this is useful to me. I'll be honest I only went with the X1 because I prefer the look with msport and in Estoril Blue compared to the x3 which is a bit more mature looking even with msport but also for my wife who is used to driving a small car I thought the X1 would be an easier adjustment for her. But there are a few features I want from the x3. Lane assist, radar cruise, blind spot, pedestrian detection, hill hold assist. How do you find these work on the x3? Happy with the performance of these features?

Does CarPlay work with the HUD? I have an aftermarket CarPlay solution on the X1 but it doesn't project to the HUD which is a deal killer for us so we end up using the built in navi with real time traffic. How about in terms of driving position and the size of the x3 (bigger than the first x5), find it difficult to maneuver?
Yeah we initially went with the x1 because my wife wanted a smaller car since she's the primary driver. For her she said it takes some getting used to the x3 in terms of just being familiar with the dimensions but she agrees the ride and drive is significantly nicer. suspension absorbs the NYC roads better and handling is smoother as well.

I'm pretty sure the x1 has all those options available aside from the blind spot detection.

I haven't utilized many of those features on the x3 aside from the blind spot detection which seems pretty good so far. You're able to adjust the sensor to pick up the car either further back behind you or further up closer to you. i set it to 'medium' which seems to encompass the largest portion of your blind spot. In the 150 miles i've driven the x3 so far I haven't had any issues with cars not being picked up.

I've used the other features you've mentioned on my x1 which had those equipped. The pedestrian warning was actaully pretty effective. One time i was driving at slow speeds and rode past the car perpendicular to my direction and my car automatically slammed on the brakes to avoid any potential contact. In reality I was never that close to him, or in risk of hitting him but it's nice to know that the feature appears to work. I think its one of those features you trust is there but hope you never have to use.

Carplay has not worked with HUD, at least Waze does not as thats the primary navigation i use.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSooFast View Post
Thank you for posting. Did you like the space you got from the upgrade? Is it noticeable?
I felt the biggest increase of space was noticed in the passenger area both for front (passenger and driver) and rear seat. Definitely an increase in rear leg room for the x3.

In terms of cargo space i think it'll similar, with a chance the x3 being slightly smaller. The x1 had the spare tire delete so i was able to store groceries in the compartment under the trunk. for the x3 that compartment is significantly smaller
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
I felt the biggest increase of space was noticed in the passenger area both for front (passenger and driver) and rear seat. Definitely an increase in rear leg room for the x3.

In terms of cargo space i think it'll similar, with a chance the x3 being slightly smaller. The x1 had the spare tire delete so i was able to store groceries in the compartment under the trunk. for the x3 that compartment is significantly smaller
nope, Seats down x1 is 58.7 cu.ft. and the x3 is 62.7 cu.ft. that's not insignificant
Seats up it's 27.1 vs 28.1
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
nope, Seats down x1 is 58.7 cu.ft. and the x3 is 62.7 cu.ft. that's not insignificant
Seats up it's 27.1 vs 28.1
seat up at 27.1 vs 28.1 is pretty insignificant. when you consider additional cargo space under, where the spare would be it would likely put the x1 ahead.

Already said rear passenger space is significantly bigger in the x3. which would be obvious that seat down would lead to more cargo space in the x3 as well.

dont see the issue with what i said... unless you thought i was referred to rear passenger space when the seat is down
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Quote:
Quote:

TY!

Did your x1 had sliding seat option?
      08-11-2021, 02:30 AM   #10
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
For a bit of background went from the 2018 x228 x1 to the 2021 x230 x3. The x1 had everything besides parking assist package and carplay where as the new x3 is fully equipped.
All 2018 X1s should be carplay-compatible, you just need to activate it I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #11
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dont see the issue with what i said... unless you thought i was referred to rear passenger space when the seat is down
The +4 cu ft with seats down over the x1 is significant enough that if someone is comparing "cargo space" that would make a big difference in the decision process, neither of us know what the goal of the OP is as far as using that cargo space, so them being informed with as much data as possible is good.

You consider them close, I consider the x3 as having a significant increase in cargo space, best to present all the info for folks.

As an aside, I consider the driveline differences a significant plus for the x3 but that and the cargo space are different due to the x1 being FWD based and the x3 being RWD based, that also IMNSHO give an edge to the x3 handling, but the added expense for the x3 puts it out of my cross shopping list.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:01 AM   #12
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

X3 is a better car for sure, but I am not sure if the upgrade you get is noticeable enough to be worth the cost. If I decide to upgrade from X1, I would prefer to go for the X5, tho the price difference there is 2 fold
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
TY!

Did your x1 had sliding seat option?
Didn't have the sliding seats for the x1.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
X3 is a better car for sure, but I am not sure if the upgrade you get is noticeable enough to be worth the cost. If I decide to upgrade from X1, I would prefer to go for the X5, tho the price difference there is 2 fold
FYI: The G05 X5 does not have more cargo space under the "pull to close" upper cargo cover than the G01 X3. The G05 X5 has 15.73 cubic feet and the G01 X3 has 16.34 cubic feet but....the X5 is a completely different animal than the X3. Anyway, here is a comparison I did between my former F25 2011 X3 and the new G05 X5 in terms of cargo space "under" the cargo top cover when its in its closed position. (Note: the G01 X3 without the spare tire option and the F25 X3's cargo space is the same)
Basically, if you think about the X3 and its spare tire option that raises the cargo floor by 3", that is what the X5's cargo floor is like, except the X5 is deeper and wider. If you don't care about the cargo cover, that will help. The X5 40i is roughly $10-12K more than the X3 M40i when they are equipped to the same level, or as close to it as you can get.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0