BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Binmercode jitters

04-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Binmercode jitters

So there’s only one thing I want, which is auto folding mirrors when I lock the doors. I have some fear, irrational or not, about somehow doing something bad to my 3 month old X1. Am I being silly? Is it ‘hard’ to mess things up?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
It's hard to mess things up. I've coded my F33 numerous times with no issues and coded my F39 a few times already. Still can't figure out video in motion. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I had same worry when I first used esys. I actually bought the adapter for bimmercode but went esys route instead.

Once you code in a change & realize how easy it is, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Esys much like bimmercode - you can surely mess up some things. I was trying code out seatbelt reminder in the passenger seat but once I started car up, i got a chassis stabilization error : - i quickly went back to original settings & all was well again

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

If I do this, I would likely go the ethernet cable route. Does anyone know which OBD adapter is best? Also, for any iOS users, a working ethernet to lightning adapter? I've been doing my research and it seems that some don't work right.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
If I do this, I would likely go the ethernet cable route. Does anyone know which OBD adapter is best? Also, for any iOS users, a working ethernet to lightning adapter? I've been doing my research and it seems that some don't work right.
Bimmercode and BT OBDII adapters is perfectly safe, is there a a specific reason you want the added complications? Just use one of bimmercode's recommended adapters.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Bimmercode and BT OBDII adapters is perfectly safe, is there a a specific reason you want the added complications? Just use one of bimmercode's recommended adapters.
Seemed like I read people recommend that approach, but perhaps it’s not needed. If I went with a BT option, how would I prevent CarPlay from interfering?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seemed like I read people recommend that approach, but perhaps it’s not needed. If I went with a BT option, how would I prevent CarPlay from interfering?
How would Carplay interfere?
I plug the recommended BT OBDII adapter into the car, then open bimmercode and it should connect to the BT adapter and carry forth.

You may or may not need to connect to the BT adapter manually, it's been a while since I coded in the car. It really is painless.

With your hesitation I can't see you wanting to jump into enet and using e-sys from a laptop (which requires it) and its much more complicated vs bimmercode and normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Perhaps my own confusion. I thought I read people recommending the Ethernet cable approach for use with Bimmercode. Not planning to use esys at all. I would use my iOS device not a computer.

Quote:
How would Carplay interfere?
I plug the recommended BT OBDII adapter into the car, then open bimmercode and it should connect to the BT adapter and carry forth.

You may or may not need to connect to the BT adapter manually, it's been a while since I coded in the car. It really is painless.

With your hesitation I can't see you wanting to jump into enet and using e-sys from a laptop (which requires it) and its much more complicated vs bimmercode and normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps my own confusion. I thought I read people recommending the Ethernet cable approach for use with Bimmercode. Not planning to use esys at all. I would use my iOS device not a computer.
You can use ethernet and an adapter, but it's overkill for bimmercode IMNSHO.

However e-sys requires enet and a laptop, and that's where you see more people talking about it, most of the bimmercode discussions you see are involving a BT OBDII adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Ok thanks for the info. This was really helpful!

Quote:
You can use ethernet and an adapter, but it's overkill for bimmercode IMNSHO.

However e-sys requires enet and a laptop, and that's where you see more people talking about it, most of the bimmercode discussions you see are involving a BT OBDII adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Bimmercode won't interfere with your carplay because you shouldn't be coding while you're using carplay. lol
i usually leave the adapter plugged in and link bimmerlink to it to look at stuff.
i've had carplay in my last car and current car and never use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

I love CarPlay. It seems to use both WiFi and Bluetooth. I’ll need to do some reading to ensure there are no conflicts. I’m worried enough as is to try this 😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Bimmercode won't interfere with your carplay because you shouldn't be coding while you're using carplay. lol
i usually leave the adapter plugged in and link bimmerlink to it to look at stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
I love CarPlay. It seems to use both WiFi and Bluetooth. I’ll need to do some reading to ensure there are no conflicts. I’m worried enough as is to try this 😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
won't be any issue. You can turn wifi off on the phone & unpair your phone from mmi BT if you're really worried but not required.

Good luck! Worth all the hesitation.
Appreciate 0