E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2AEE & 6293

05-03-2024, 09:32 AM   #1
n54victim
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

2AEE & 6293

Title is wrong its 2AAE.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and apologies if it has been answered already, I've searched and found similar issues but nothing specific.

I have a 2007 335i.

I was starting to get misfires that weren't throwing codes other than "misfire cylinder 1" or "misfire cylinder 4", whether it was a rough idle, that slowly smoothed out but then when I drove the car it would become a fairly violent misfire while I'm accelerating. (Less so when I'm not)

I let the car sit in the garage for 10 months while I attempted to resolve the issue without a trickle charger and the battery clearly drained.

(Plugs and coils replaced, ended up swapping the seals on the injectors, they don't seem to be leaking)

I charged the battery up and tried to start it, the car would crank but not start.
Throwing codes 2AAE & 6293.

Thank you if you have any ideas/sharing your experience.

Last edited by n54victim; 05-03-2024 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:16 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54victim View Post
... 2007 335i... I let the car sit in the garage for 10 months while I attempted to resolve the issue without a trickle charger and the battery clearly drained... I charged the battery up and tried to start it, the car would crank but not start. Throwing codes 2AAE & 6293...
Welcome to the Forum!
Fault Code Definitions:
BMW Fault Code Lookup provides good Definitions & often Service Notes:
https://bmwfault.codes/
Here are Definitions & Links to Fault Info sheets, with Service Plan/Notes:
2AAE | DME: Fuel pump | msd80 | Engine electronics
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...IAMQAzADAANAA=

6293 | EKPS: Control current too high | ekp360 | electronic fuel pump control module
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...cANwA4ADAANAA=

Those Codes, previous rough running, & "Crank, NO Start" current condition suggest:
1) Out of gas; What does Instrument Cluster gauge show?
2) Fuel delivery issue, related to pump Module (EKPS) power supply, wiring, Pump, or tank plumbing.

Don't throw parts, DIAGNOSE. Your 2007 335i has sensors that can display (as Live Data) Low Pressure (Tank Pump) Fuel Pressure, AND Rail Pressure after HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump). With proper Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA), you can "Activate" or "Trigger" Fuel Pump (LPFP) operation & observe Voltage & current draw as Live Data. There is a way you CAN plumb in a mechanical pressure gauge, but Software approach is preferable. There are also ways you can "Hot-wire" the tank Low Pressure Fuel Pump (LPFP) and see if that at least results in "Sputter" if not fire/run.

Questions:
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN? Build Mo/Yr?
2) Make/Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available?
3) Gas Gauge reading?
4) If vehicle is NOT completely stock, any engine/ fuel system mods?

With answers to those questions, we can suggest "Next Steps", & provide correct wiring info.
George
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2024, 03:18 PM   #3
n54victim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Fault Code Definitions:
BMW Fault Code Lookup provides good Definitions & often Service Notes:
https://bmwfault.codes/
Here are Definitions & Links to Fault Info sheets, with Service Plan/Notes:
2AAE | DME: Fuel pump | msd80 | Engine electronics
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...IAMQAzADAANAA=

6293 | EKPS: Control current too high | ekp360 | electronic fuel pump control module
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...cANwA4ADAANAA=

Those Codes, previous rough running, & "Crank, NO Start" current condition suggest:
1) Out of gas; What does Instrument Cluster gauge show?
2) Fuel delivery issue, related to pump Module (EKPS) power supply, wiring, Pump, or tank plumbing.

Don't throw parts, DIAGNOSE. Your 2007 335i has sensors that can display (as Live Data) Low Pressure (Tank Pump) Fuel Pressure, AND Rail Pressure after HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump). With proper Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA), you can "Activate" or "Trigger" Fuel Pump (LPFP) operation & observe Voltage & current draw as Live Data. There is a way you CAN plumb in a mechanical pressure gauge, but Software approach is preferable. There are also ways you can "Hot-wire" the tank Low Pressure Fuel Pump (LPFP) and see if that at least results in "Sputter" if not fire/run.

Questions:
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN? Build Mo/Yr?
2) Make/Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available?
3) Gas Gauge reading?
4) If vehicle is NOT completely stock, any engine/ fuel system mods?

With answers to those questions, we can suggest "Next Steps", & provide correct wiring info.
George

Thank you for the response,

1. FV75369 March, 2007.
2. I have a Foxwell NT530, along with ISTA (though I may not have ISTA functioning properly and I'm not very familiar with its use)
3. 3/4 full.
4. Nothing really done to the vehicle modification wise other than charge pipe and BOV.

I plugged in ISTA and it showed stored faults;
5E19
FAULT TEXT:
DSC: Engine management: Interface
FAULT TYPES:
Fault currently not present

2AAE
FAULT TEXT:
DME: Fuel Pump
FAULT TYPES:
Engine speed too high
Fault does not activate warning light

FAULT TEXT:
EKPS: Control current too high.
Fault Types:
Implausible signal or value

I can try to get any other information you'd like if it would help.

Last edited by n54victim; 05-03-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 06:19 PM   #4
n54victim
Rep

UPDATE:
I plugged in ISTA and ran a vehicle test, it got failure to communicate with electronic fuel pump control module

And
Cda6

Blew fuse while testing..

Replace fuse, back to 2AAE, 6293.
ISTA advising LPFP and EKPS replacement?

Last edited by n54victim; 05-05-2024 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:52 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
1. FV75369 March, 2007.
2. I have a Foxwell NT530, along with ISTA
3. 3/4 full.
ISTA stored faults:
5E19; 2AAE; 6293
Quote:
UPDATE:
I plugged in ISTA and ran a vehicle test, it got failure to communicate with electronic fuel pump control module, & Cda6
WHICH FUSE blew? F88 EKPS fuse, 20A? If so, forget Activation/Triggering step below, but provide other ScreenPrints.

It would appear that your EKPS Fuel Pump Control Module is not communicating. I presume it appears in RED on
the "Control Unit Tree" in ISTA? If so, that suggests that there is NO voltage supply, NO ground, OR NO PT-CAN Bus connection.
See page #3 of attached pdf: "Fault Memory & Test Plan" for example ISTA ScreenPrint of "Tree".
1) Please view, save, attach your "Tree" ScreenPrint (jpg/png).

After Saving the "Tree" ScreenPrint, click "Display fault memory" button at bottom-right of screen.
2) View, Save, Attach that Fault memory ScreenPrint showing ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules. (pdf p.5)

You can "Connect" to DME & see a) "Live Data" & b) Trigger Components, such as make Fuel Pump Run:
a) Connect to DME by following procedure at bottom of pdf p.3: Click on/highlight "DME" in "Tree", “Call up ECU functions”
button then becomes active, & when you click on that, you will see 3 Tabs you can select for DME Info/Functions.
b) Select "Component Triggering" Tab, and a menu appears. Look for "Fuel pump" in ECU Function List & click that;
c) My MSV80 DME allows Activation of Fuel Pump for 20 seconds. See if your MSD80 is SAME, or find Pump Trigger;
d) See what happens when you try to Trigger/Activate Fuel Pump. Does pump run with audible whir? Try Starting Engine.

If Pump does NOT run, OR if it is RED on "Tree", check fuse F88 per the attached ISTA SSP Wiring Diagram/ Fuse Chart.

There are many additional steps that CAN be taken in ISTA, but let's just go that far for now. Please save & attach ScreenPrints
similar to those in attached pdf, so we can ALL join in the diagnostics and learn something. What I have done is save
ScreenPrints of the available Screens in the "Diagnosis Scan" or Status Tab, & the Component Triggering Tab, so I know
WHAT Screens are available, and the info found in each. Whatever works for you.
George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.72 MB, 4 views)
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2024, 09:00 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached is Fuse Chart for 2007B (2007 E9x AFTER 3/1/2007), which includes your 5/2007 build N54 335i.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-05-2024, 09:07 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Replace fuse, back to 2AAE, 6293.
ISTA advising LPFP and EKPS replacement?
DIAGNOSE BEFORE throwing Part$. You may need a new LPFP, but there may also be a wiring fault causing the fuse (F88?) to blow. There are tests we can do using ISTA & a multimeter. The two initial Pump Codes: 2AAE & 6293 suggest excessive current draw by pump, OR a wiring issue. TEST.
George
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54310.00
      05-05-2024, 10:48 PM   #8
n54victim
Rep

Quote:
WHICH FUSE blew? F88 EKPS fuse, 20A? If so, forget Activation/Triggering step below, but provide other ScreenPrints.

It would appear that your EKPS Fuel Pump Control Module is not communicating. I presume it appears in RED on
the "Control Unit Tree" in ISTA? If so, that suggests that there is NO voltage supply, NO ground, OR NO PT-CAN Bus connection.
See page #3 of attached pdf: "Fault Memory & Test Plan" for example ISTA ScreenPrint of "Tree".
1) Please view, save, attach your "Tree" ScreenPrint (jpg/png).

George
Thank you for the detailed response again,

Attached are requested pictures.

Fuse F88 is the one that blew last time when I was trying to test things, replaced fuse prior to this diagnostic.
Ran Fuel Pump as requested, no whirring at all.
Fuse F88 is intact after test.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:55 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Fuse F88 is the one that blew last time when I was trying to test things, replaced fuse prior to this diagnostic.
Ran Fuel Pump as requested, no whirring at all. Fuse F88 is intact after test.
Keep in mind that your LAST test, Triggering the Fuel Pump, was connected to DME, as opposed to EKPS Module.
The ScreenPrints attached, & NEXT Tests are when ISTA is connected to EKPS Module. There appears to be an issue with:
a) PT-CAN communication between DME & EKPS;
b) EKPS function to operate EKP (Pump), or
c) EKP Pump itself.

The fact that F88 blew suggests Pump short, but possibly EKPS Module failure. You need to try to devise TESTS that give
further clues on WHERE excessive current draw/ 'Short' is: In Pump Motor, or in EKPS Module/ wiring. You can Apply Power
(Hot-wire) directly to the Pump Wires, preferably with 20A inline fuse in "Hot-wire" circuit, so as NOT to cause further damage.
You can Use ISTA to observe EKPS function & DME demand signal, as received by the EKPS. You can also Trigger
EKPS at 60 l/hr rate (approximately normal idle pump rate) & see if pump runs. Do NOT open fuel tank when testing.
That is NOT necessary & spark can ignite Fuel Vapor.
"Hot-wire" test: TANK CLOSED; B+ to Red/White wire, X3507/4; Ground to Brown wire, X3507/2.

See attached ISTA ScreenPrints. Connect to EKPS by selecting it in Tree/List, & clicking “Call up ECU functions” button.
You will then see the Tabs as shown in my ScreenPrints. Your EKPS is different variant/SGBD than mine, so
your screen content may differ. My ScreenPrints are Engine at Idle. Please let us know what you find.
George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 05-06-2024 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2024, 11:13 AM   #10
n54victim
Rep

Quote:
You can Apply Power
(Hot-wire) directly to the Pump Wires, preferably with 20A inline fuse in "Hot-wire" circuit
I'm not exactly sure how to go about this, and may not have the proper tools.

I will try and research how to do it, have to go to work right now, but will do it when I get back.
Thank you again for great insight and your knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 12:33 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how to go about this, and may not have the proper tools...
"Hot-wire" test: TANK CLOSED; B+ to Red/White wire, X3507/4; Ground to Brown wire, X3507/2.
That's B+ or voltage from Positive (+) Battery post to Socket #4 of EKPS Connector X3507 (4-socket connector per earlier ScreenPrint). Then Connect "Chassis Ground" or supply ground to X3507/2, which is Socket #2 of Connector X3507, where Brown wire is attached.

"Patch Cables" or wires with alligator clips at either end can be used to make the connections to X3507. I would make Ground connection FIRST, & THEN just tap B+ wire to connector X3507/4 to see if spark or any sound from Pump. SMALL spark is OK when B+ tapped. LARGE Spark suggests possible short or other issue in pump, so disconnect B+ if no normal pump sound, OR LARGE spark.

You can either use an external 12V power supply (other battery), OR you can Get B+ by disconnecting Connector X13663, 16-pin connector at EKPS Module, and testing for 12V+ (in relation to chassis ground) with Ignition ON (START button pressed & Instrument Cluster lighted). If F88 is intact & you have 12V+ at the LARGE socket #1, where Red/Black wire is connected, you can use that as the B+ Source (with Ignition ON).

Please take your time to think through each step, & if ANY question, post back BEFORE "welding Tool" to B+ source by contacting chassis ground. Make sure TANK CLOSED/ NO Fuel Vapor in Work Area.
George
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 01:02 PM   #12
n54victim
Rep

Quote:
That's B+ or voltage from Positive (+) Battery post to Socket #4 of EKPS Connector X3507 (4-socket connector per earlier ScreenPrint). Then Connect "Chassis Ground" or supply ground to X3507/2, which is Socket #2 of Connector X3507, where Brown wire is attached.

"Patch Cables" or wires with alligator clips at either end can be used to make the connections to X3507. I would make Ground connection FIRST, & THEN just tap B+ wire to connector X3507/4 to see if spark or any sound from Pump. SMALL spark is OK when B+ tapped. LARGE Spark suggests possible short or other issue in pump, so disconnect B+ if no normal pump sound, OR LARGE spark.

You can either use an external 12V power supply (other battery), OR you can Get B+ by disconnecting Connector X13663, 16-pin connector at EKPS Module, and testing for 12V+ (in relation to chassis ground) with Ignition ON (START button pressed & Instrument Cluster lighted). If F88 is intact & you have 12V+ at the LARGE socket #1, where Red/Black wire is connected, you can use that as the B+ Source (with Ignition ON).

Please take your time to think through each step, & if ANY question, post back BEFORE "welding Tool" to B+ source by contacting chassis ground. Make sure TANK CLOSED/ NO Fuel Vapor in Work Area.
George
I have done as you've said, (hopefully correctly). Sorry I took so long, work has been nuts.
No spark, the only sound I heard is a faint tick coming from the rear seat that lasted approximately 5-8 seconds.
Pictures attached of what I rigged.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0