BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2016 BMX X1 XDrive 20D - stiff 3rd gear, sometimes totally

04-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
iancun
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

2016 BMX X1 XDrive 20D - stiff 3rd gear, sometimes totally

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2016 BMW X1 (30k miles), XDrive 20D manual and it has been trouble free until this week. It was driving fine, then suddenly 3rd gear felt like it no longer smoothly "clicked" in to gear, it was a firmer push and less feedback on the gear stick. A few mins later when I got home, the gearstick locked up and would only wiggle a little in neutral.

A mechanic looked at it and re-greased the linkage (or said something similar), but couldn't see a problem. I got it back and 3rd gear still feels really odd. Then, after reversing on to my drive, the gearstick was totally stuck again. It took a couple of mins wiggling to get it to unstick (I could sometimes get it in to 6th gear).

Any thoughts on what this could be? I will be taking this in to a main BMW dealer next week if it doesn't resolve itself, which I imagine it won't. I'm just surprised that the local garage didn't see anything wrong with it.

Could this be an expensive problem? Is there anything I can do to diagnose?

Ian
Appreciate 0