BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Regarding aftermarket speakers (non plug and play) in X1/X2

04-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
MTDBassMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Regarding aftermarket speakers (non plug and play) in X1/X2

Hi all, new X1 owner and first post.

I'm a super hands on electronics and audio guy, well versed in the art of soldering and modification for musical instrument and audio systems, but it seems that the vast majority of threads here for retrofits and component upgrades are focused only on plug and play options. The world of available quality components is so much bigger than just the stuff that gets BMW printed on it! I'm looking for help from other tweakers.

For folks that have installed aftermarket speakers and amps in F48s or other bimmers similar in their audio systems, have you had to fabricate speaker mounts for door mounted speakers, or have the tri-bolt models made by major manufacturers aligned with the stock bolt patterns? Aside from using a BMW-blessed amp upgrade (for Hifi sysytem), has anyone installed an aftermarket amp with a harness converter from the stock wiring assembly, or just cut into the harness? If so, I'd love to get my hands on a pinout or schematic of that amp wiring harness....

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
MTDBassMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Right. Well fwiw I'll be installing a Skar 5 channel amp fed from the head unit outs via an AudioControl DQDX for line conversion and EQ, along with a pair of Polk DB401s for the front doors (and possibly another pair for the rears if I like em). The 5th channel will be for the subs, wired together on the same channel in series due to their low impedance. I may keep the factory amp installed as well and keep the center channel connected, or I may tap the front L and R outputs of the aftermarket amp, but either way the ctr outs will be running through a 100w 8 Ohm L-pad from Parts-Express. No pre-made harnesses, just old school wire cutting, stripping & connecting. Should all be going in next weekend!
Appreciate 1