BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion COVID-19 vs. H1N1

View Poll Results: Which is/will be worse: COVID-19 or H1N1
COVID-19 will be worse than H1N1 32 66.67%
H1N1 will still turn out to be worse than COVID-19 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #23
rebekahb
Private First Class
443
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim99ws6 View Post
Where is the "Covid-19 has the CAPABILITY to be far worse, but proper federal and local effort can restrain its impact"



Because, thats the answer
I'm dealing in final outcomes. Thanks for your input, however.
Out of curiosity, what do you exactly do for work?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
tim99ws6
Private
74
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: nashville, tn

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you exactly do for work?
I work in Medical Research
Appreciate 2
rebekahb443.00
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
chris719
Brigadier General
3295
Rep
3,674
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Great source, thanks for sharing that. I was really struck by the revelation that this new virus is 96% the same as H1N1 or SARS, yet the WHO deliberately refers to it as the "Corona virus" to obfuscate the similarity. Mind-boggling. They're clearly a political institution, not a scientific body.
You need to read more carefully. This new virus is NOT 96% the same as H1N1 or SARS. This virus is named SARS-CoV-2 (highlighting itís a relative of SARS) which causes the disease COVID-19. This is similar to how HIV is the virus that causes AIDS.

The name Coronavirus is the type of virus, the genus is Betacoronavirus. There is nothing political or obfuscatory about the name since it was identified before it was named. The only point of argument on the name is COVID-19 dropped any references to its origins in China. This is the new policy of the scientific community to try not to name after places.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer22965.50
minn196908.50

      03-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #26
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you exactly do for work?
I work in drug development, I consult large medical practices and hospital groups and I have a medical technology company.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb443.00

      03-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #27
schoy
Captain
857
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

What metric will be used to compare the two? The response to COVID-19 has been significantly greater than H1N1, so I expect that the final numbers will be lower than H1N1. Simply in terms of morality rate, I would expect COVID-19 will still end up higher than H1N1, which is why I voted for COVID-19.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #28
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
What metric will be used to compare the two? The response to COVID-19 has been significantly greater than H1N1, so I expect that the final numbers will be lower than H1N1. Simply in terms of morality rate, I would expect COVID-19 will still end up higher than H1N1, which is why I voted for COVID-19.
Mortality.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #29
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You need to read more carefully. This new virus is NOT 96% the same as H1N1 or SARS. This virus is named SARS-CoV-2 (highlighting itís a relative of SARS) which causes the disease COVID-19. This is similar to how HIV is the virus that causes AIDS.

The name Coronavirus is the type of virus, the genus is Betacoronavirus. There is nothing political or obfuscatory about the name since it was identified before it was named. The only point of argument on the name is COVID-19 dropped any references to its origins in China. This is the new policy of the scientific community to try not to name after places.
From the article:
Quote:
ē 2019-nCOV was the initial name given by some infectious disease organization for
the virus, where nCOV stands for novel coronavirus. But this name is hard to
remember because it starts with a generic term (the year). It is also inconsistent with
coronavirus naming conventions. It is also misleading, because it gives the
misimpression that the virus is especially novel. Itís not. In fact itís the least novel of
the respiratory disease-causing viruses isolated in the molecular age. Itís defining
feature is itís NON-novelty...

ē SARS-CoV-2 is the Genbank name for the virus, because it is 96% identical in
nucleotide sequence to SARS-CoV, the cause of SARS in 2003.

Ė We will use this name because it is accurate and informative, revealing the high similarity
between these two pathogens. This name thus reminds us that we can infer a lot about
SARS-CoV-2 from existing data on SARS-CoV.
Ė Ironically, the WHO decided not to name the virus SARS-CoV-2 for precisely this reason Ė
to obscure the relationship between the two viruses

(http://www.vox.com/2020/2/14/2113520...-19-name-sars-
cov-2). However we are scientists, we want clarity not obfuscation.

3/15/20 Michael Lin, PhD-MD
What did I miss, specifically? If you don't agree with the author or my understanding of the claims of the article, offer your evidence.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22965.50
chris7193295.00

      03-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #30
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
349
Rep
1,097
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

chimps, humans are 96% identical too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
From the article:


What did I miss, specifically? If you don't agree with the author or my understanding of the claims of the article, offer your evidence.
By the way, which are you?
Appreciate 1
UncleWede9547.50

      03-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #31
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Haywood's Avatar
United_States
2309
Rep
2,964
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim99ws6 View Post
Careful, there are LOTS of pharma working on a solution to this.
Agreed. But, they aren't a fly by night company. They also make lots of HIV medication which they are known for. They were the first company to give their drug to some patients in Washington state and they had dramatic turnarounds. Positive news.
__________________
2003 Le Mans Blue e39 M5 Dinan S1
1997 Alpine White e36 M3 (the old gal)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #32
chris719
Brigadier General
3295
Rep
3,674
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
From the article:


What did I miss, specifically? If you don't agree with the author or my understanding of the claims of the article, offer your evidence.
You first said H1N1 was 96% similar, which is false via common sense alone. Then, you made a bunch of other statements that are based on subjective assessments from the linked source. The virus is called SARS-CoV-2 and anyone who didn't know that didn't look very hard.

Second, your source is also wrong. SARS-CoV-2 is 96.6% similar to bat virus RaTG13, whereas it shares 79.5% identity to SARS-CoV. This can be confirmed by at least 7 other articles I've stumbled on in the past 3 months I have been following it.

https://mmrjournal.biomedcentral.com...79-020-00240-0

Edit - I didn't read every statement in your linked source so I should have said it was a bad source rather than implying you misread it. The paper had enough correct info to look credible, so I assumed the mistakes were in interpretation of it rather than the source being iffy.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #33
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Did you read the report I posted of their "findings" after their "investigation" in China? Shameful.

If anyone wants globalization after this fiasco, they are INSANE.
The tone of that document can only be described as "fawning." Wow. Why does the WHO feel the need to cover up the fuckery? I just don't get it.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #34
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You first said H1N1 was 96% similar, which is false via common sense alone. Then, you made a bunch of other statements that are based on subjective assessments from the linked source. The virus is called SARS-CoV-2 and anyone who didn't know that didn't look very hard.

Second, your source is also wrong. SARS-CoV-2 is 96.6% similar to bat virus RaTG13, whereas it shares 79.5% identity to SARS-CoV. This can be confirmed by at least 7 other articles I've stumbled on in the past 3 months I have been following it.

https://mmrjournal.biomedcentral.com...79-020-00240-0

Edit - I didn't read every statement in your linked source so I should have said it was a bad source rather than implying you misread it. The paper had enough correct info to look credible, so I assumed the mistakes were in interpretation of it rather than the source being iffy.
I stand corrected on the H1N1 assertion.

So if what's being referred to as COVID-19 (which is the name of the disease, not the virus) is roughly 80% the same as the virus widely referred to as SARS, that's a high similarity, right? So what's the purpose of using a dissimilar name in the information we're being given, other than to obfuscate? It's analogous to referring to a crescent wrench as a "wrench" and in the same context referring to a pipe wrench an "effluent conduit fitment tool." The motivation behind an action is usually most accurately revealed by observing its effects.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #35
chris719
Brigadier General
3295
Rep
3,674
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I stand corrected on the H1N1 assertion.

So if what's being referred to as COVID-19 (which is the name of the disease, not the virus) is roughly 80% the same as the virus widely referred to as SARS, that's a high similarity, right? So what's the purpose of using a dissimilar name in the information we're being given, other than to obfuscate? It's analogous to referring to a crescent wrench as a "wrench" and in the same context referring to a pipe wrench an "effluent conduit fitment tool." The motivation behind an action is usually most accurately revealed by observing its effects.
I don't know the motivations, but it's not SARS exactly. Just because it's similar doesn't mean it manifests the same way. I don't know there is a conspiracy behind the name. There was certainly downplaying and failure at the WHO, but I don't know the name has anything to do with it. MERS is quite similar to SARS too, but it's MERS, not SARS.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #36
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I don't know the motivations, but it's not SARS exactly. Just because it's similar doesn't mean it manifests the same way. I don't know there is a conspiracy behind the name. There was certainly downplaying and failure at the WHO, but I don't know the name has anything to do with it. MERS is quite similar to SARS too, but it's MERS, not SARS.
I appreciate your feedback. I'm trying hard to gain a meaningful level of understanding of this, and it's a bit overwhelming...and I'm a software guy, not a biologist.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22965.50
chris7193295.00

      03-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #37
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
The tone of that document can only be described as "fawning." Wow. Why does the WHO feel the need to cover up the fuckery? I just don't get it.
It's really disgusting. This is why there is a fundamental distrust of bureaucrats and international organizations. This isn't the first time and why the WHO has credibility problems around the world.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #38
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It's really disgusting. This is why there is a fundamental distrust of bureaucrats and international organizations. This isn't the first time and why the WHO has credibility problems around the world.
It's reminding me of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. An agenda desperately in search of supporting evidence.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #39
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
From the article:


What did I miss, specifically? If you don't agree with the author or my understanding of the claims of the article, offer your evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I stand corrected on the H1N1 assertion.

So if what's being referred to as COVID-19 (which is the name of the disease, not the virus) is roughly 80% the same as the virus widely referred to as SARS, that's a high similarity, right? So what's the purpose of using a dissimilar name in the information we're being given, other than to obfuscate? It's analogous to referring to a crescent wrench as a "wrench" and in the same context referring to a pipe wrench an "effluent conduit fitment tool." The motivation behind an action is usually most accurately revealed by observing its effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
It's reminding me of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. An agenda desperately in search of supporting evidence.
And money. Never forget money. It's the common thread in nearly all of this. They want more funding.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #40
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
And money. Never forget money. It's the common thread in nearly all of this. They want more funding.
And lest we be accused of reductionist or materialistic thinking, try to recall an instance of a government agency saying "Yeah, that problem you tasked us with solving? We fixed it. Fixed the fuck out if it, in fact. So we're shutting down operations. We don't need any further funding other than to hire someone to auction off all our stuff." Yeah...never happened.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #41
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
And lest we be accused of reductionist or materialistic thinking, try to recall an instance of a government agency saying "Yeah, that problem you tasked us with solving? We fixed it. Fixed the fuck out if it, in fact. So we're shutting down operations. We don't need any further funding other than to hire someone to auction off all our stuff." Yeah...never happened.
This is where you're wrong. The special messenger rode in on a unicorn which had rainbows flying out of it's azz and delivered the telegram. You missed it!!
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #42
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3026
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This is where you're wrong. The special messenger rode in on a unicorn which had rainbows flying out of it's azz and delivered the telegram. You missed it!!
Aging NFL wide-outs are said to have "lost a step." Old software guys like me hit the head to empty our colostomy bags, and inevitably a couple of CPU clock cycles get past us. I accept my limitations. I'm still in the game, though.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
MKSixer22965.50

      03-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #43
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
22966
Rep
9,632
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Aging NFL wide-outs are said to have "lost a step." Old software guys like me hit the head to empty our colostomy bags, and inevitably a couple of CPU clock cycles get past us. I accept my limitations. I'm still in the game, though.
You are forgiven because the unicorns have a cloaking mode.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #44
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
iconoclast's Avatar
No_Country
4550
Rep
4,631
Posts

Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In, Out & Around...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Thank you for this. I will now refer to COVID-19 as SARS2 - Electric Boogaloo
HAHAHA... Normally I would just "Appreciate" a post like that but the fact that someone else on here knows WTF electric boogaloo is and then worked it into a 2020 context deserves acknowledgment. Well done. POTY.
Appreciate 2
Nuckle864.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST