BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Another issue (yay!) P0440, P0171, and...

01-31-2024, 03:47 PM   #1
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Another issue (yay!) P0440, P0171, and...

So a few days ago the CEL popped on the dash of our 2018 Xdrive. Pulled the codes and it was P0440 (evap emission system, I love these random generic codes) along with the P0171 (system too lean). X1 was running fine as far as I could tell.
I drove it a couple of time since then (short trips, about 6 miles round trip) and today the light came back on. I also noticed when I made it back home and placed the vehicle in park, turn off the A/C. The idle started climbing, it got to about 1500RPM if not a bit higher. Turned the vehicle off and back on and the high idle went away.
I pulled the codes and the P0440 and P0171 were back along with the P0507 (Idle Air control System RPM higher than expected).

Anyone have experience with these codes on the F48? Surprisingly I was just about to take this thing in to sell and we decided the is the first vehicle we'll get rid of in our attempt to reduce the number of vehicles in our household. Maybe it doesn't want to leave us?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:38 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I hate to be that person but.. do a search for that code. Mine was the tank venting valve, but to also warn you, there's two styles. I replaced it (and it's super duper easy as it's right on the front top of the engine) and.. all good.

I did out of curiosity get a small camera into the hole and I saw the tear in the diaphram so it made me happy that I didn't just chase a ghost.

Part was like $90 straight from the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 05:44 PM   #3
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the response. Sadly I did do a search for the code (and I've dealt with this code on other vehicles before but it's never been very useful, the code that is...) and all that came up for the F48 was replacing the gas cap.

Looking at your issue it seems your original code was for P0446. I'm going to look into it for a bit.
I'm sad to say I'm dating myself when I say I remember a time when you could own a new car for ten years and not have any issues. I know it's all luck of the draw at the end of the day on when your car was built, who built it and so on. But quality for anything these days just sucks. (yes I'm bitter cause I love the X1 but I expect longer life out of all of the components in anything I purchase)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:46 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

No worries I totally understand what you mean! The evap/purge system has only hoses.. the gas cap, and this valve that went faulty so I'm betting its your issue. Our car ran perfectly fine actually but it did throw a bunch of random codes as such. Hope it's it!

Blame the environment on all these extra emissions parts and to kick you when you're down..making them out of certain plastic formulas that all degrade faster than they used to... or soy that rodents like to eat... or solder that has no lead and therefore just breaks on their own. I guess I shouldn't complain as it is true we need to save the environment for our kids .. so I'm also being a little sassy.. 😀
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:03 PM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hehehe, so you get it.
I'm charging my boroscope to inspect the valve now. I found the TSB in the other thread and noticed it mentioned "clicking" for a bad valve. I did notice some significant clicking that would come and go and was extremely loud after replacing the oil filter housing. I wonder if this started going bad then?

Will post pics if I find anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:29 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So just a quick inspection with my endoscope seems to show damage to one of the rubber valves inside the vent valve (there are two and both seem to appear to be damaged) although it's hard to tell, the quality of the image isn't great.
But based on the image in the TSB the little rubber should have the radial lines evenly 360° all the way around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just updating on this.
So I ordered a new fuel vent valve based on the images I captured using my endoscope (and thanks to Rice-Rocket for mentioning this could be the culprit also). I ordered from FCP Euro, checked the new part using the endoscope and it was impossible to see anything, the image was pure white. I also checked the resistance on the old part and new part (17ohms), both the same.

I swapped the part and took the X1 for a test and no issues. Drove it for a few days and made sure the vehicle would get to operating temperature each time and no codes and no high idle in park after warm up.

The part# for this part is Bosch 13907614013
This fits 2018 X1 X-Drive M-Sport.

Pictures of location below.
After this fix we ended up trading it in (along with our I4) and reduced our vehicle family by one. Thanks to everyone who has helped with issues over the years. I'll have some wheel spacers and full OEM suspension up for sale soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:25 AM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I'm glad it helped!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:19 PM   #9
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Just updating on this.
So I ordered a new fuel vent valve based on the images I captured using my endoscope (and thanks to Rice-Rocket for mentioning this could be the culprit also). I ordered from FCP Euro, checked the new part using the endoscope and it was impossible to see anything, the image was pure white. I also checked the resistance on the old part and new part (17ohms), both the same.

I swapped the part and took the X1 for a test and no issues. Drove it for a few days and made sure the vehicle would get to operating temperature each time and no codes and no high idle in park after warm up.

The part# for this part is Bosch 13907614013
This fits 2018 X1 X-Drive M-Sport.

Pictures of location below.
After this fix we ended up trading it in (along with our I4) and reduced our vehicle family by one. Thanks to everyone who has helped with issues over the years. I'll have some wheel spacers and full OEM suspension up for sale soon.
Thank you for being a part of our little X1 community. Will always remember reading on your coilover shimmy thread many years ago, back before I even had an account here Best of luck with your future endeavors man. Also may I ask what is the car you’re replacing X1 and i4 with?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #10
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirschwarz.f48 View Post
Thank you for being a part of our little X1 community. Will always remember reading on your coilover shimmy thread many years ago, back before I even had an account here Best of luck with your future endeavors man. Also may I ask what is the car you’re replacing X1 and i4 with?
We went with a Nissan Ariya. Just slightly more space than the X1 and about the same overall size as the I4. Only 400hp though. =)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 06:04 PM   #11
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
We went with a Nissan Ariya. Just slightly more space than the X1 and about the same overall size as the I4. Only 400hp though. =)
only 400hp hope you enjoy the new ride
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:40 AM   #12
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Thank for being here

Enjoy your new ariya,I own a Nissan leaf aswell and I am impressed by the brand, never had a Nissan before but is well build, at least the leaf is.
Appreciate 0