BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Anyone upgrade HiFi speakers to Focals (or other brands)?

06-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Anyone upgrade HiFi speakers to Focals (or other brands)?

The stock audio system in the X2 is just... annoying to me. There's this huge peak around 3-5kHz that just makes everything sound overly harsh, and with just bass and treble tone controls there's no way to tame the midrange. I'm looking for a relatively quick way to tone down some of that harshness and improve the sound of things.

I'm a professional audio mastering engineer AND I used to compete in car audio many years ago, so I know how quickly I can get over obsessive about my music listening. At some point I will likely do a complete audio make over of my 2020 M35i, but for now I just want a quick drop-in fix to tame some of that harshness and improve the imaging.

I've already seen some videos on replacing the 5 main speakers for the HiFi system (do we have the subs under the seats btw?), so I know I can do it myself easy enough. But is it worth roughly $1k for the Focal replacements? I'm a big fan of their speakers from the music studio monitors they make, but I'm open to other ideas as well.

Thanks!
      06-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I think changing the amp would probably be more beneficial but I’m thinking about parts express speakers, under half the cost of bavsound and the whole system is less than a set of focal.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I was on the fence before.. I put a post up with pictures of me adding a couple tweeters to the front doors. I also added a center tweeter. Certainly it's given me a lot more high range without much effort and almost no money. The Match7 ? I think that's the name.. anyways, that's the most popular amp to swap in/upgrade. I've read a bunch of audiophiles saying that the amp will be the best gain vs changing the speakers. That amp is around $750-800 USD. Speaker upgrades will also start costing around that range and up.

There are subs under our seats, you can actually see the grille peeking out under the seat. I am not sure where you're going sound wise, but if you want that rumble, I'm sure adding in an amp with a sub in the trunk would exceed the change in just the floor sub just based on sound volume. (I'm not an audiophile so I could be totally wrong with all these new fancy speakers).

Maybe you could chime in if you'd think upgrading separate tweeters is better than getting something like the focal speakers which are the 2-in-1 type.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

And check this thread out.. someone just changed the amp in their X1, they all seem pretty happy.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1610748
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The biggest issue for me is that the X2 I have now only has the built in amp in the head unit (unless I'm misunderstanding the configuation of the base model audio system, it's a little confusing given the differences country to country), so adding a new separate amp is a bit more involved. Usually that's one of the first places I would start an audio upgrade, but my work is swamped lately and I just don't have the time to spend researching what I want and how I would install it. I listen to music intently for a living, I'm a picky bastard on that front.

Adding tweeters can be a nice upgrade, but to be honest the highs in the stock audio system aren't the biggest issue for me, they are decent as is. Or at least not painful. It's those killer upper mids that are driving me and the wife crazy, so I'm hoping a proper dual driver concentric speaker upgrade will be the easiest way to address that for now. Just adding tweeters will likely only make the issue worse, especially if you have no control over the crossover point with a stock speaker handling the mids and lower mids. A lot of people who have added the HK tweets say they need to dial back their treble controls a LOT it sounds like.

I know there's subs under the seats, but most of what I've read (rather quickly) seems to make it sound like just swapping out for new drivers doesn't make a huge difference on it's own. At least not for the price it costs.

The plan right now is to just replace the two front door speakers and the center channel to get me through the summer. Then maybe next winter I'll dive in and look at redoing the entire audio system with custom components.
      06-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Unless they changed things.. the Hifi system and HK system always have AMPS in the trunk in the back left. In the 5 or so BMW's I've owned they are there. I can't confirm with my X2, but I have the exact same configuration as the person that is in the other thread, so I'm pretty sure it's there. The only problem is that UK and the rest of the world actually have a possibility of a system that is actually WORSE than even the Hifi, which I believe that's the one with a different headunit and built in amp. But.. North America Wise it's one of the two, and both have amps in the trunk.

True I did dial back my treble one notch after all the tweeter installs. I also did some trolling around and many people recommended to unplug the center dash speaker for better sterero sound. I tried to disconnect it and it didn't seem that much difference to me... so I must be a "rockford fosgate punch" kind of guy where more power equals better sound... haha. I plugged it back in as well as added that center tweeter. I didn't really notice any increase in that center tweeter sound.

As for the "subs" under the seat.. yes a lot of people refer to them as mids instead since they don't have that earthquake kind of thing. It certainly sounds like those door speakers would help.. although getting a set is pretty pricey. I'd love to hear of more budget options. Also, some people have said that replacing the rear door speakers might be a little bit of a waste of time sound wise (for the front sitters or you yourself as a driver). That might be an easier pill to swallow by slowly upgrading. I guess I'm not much of a rip off the bandaid and dump a bunch of money guy. I should meet up with one of those X1 guys (one guy is in the same state) just to hear how much the amp makes it sound better.. then I can prepare for an amp upgrade Please do post what direction you go, as I'd love to hear feedback from someone with a better ear than myself. I have a tendency to listen to the exhaust a LOT.. and only cruise on the highway with the stereo on, and at that I don't even turn it up that loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the clarification on the amp, that's definitely good to know going forward. It opens up a decent amount of possibilities if the wiring is already in place.
      06-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, got the 3 front speakers installed this afternoon. I thought it was pretty funny how small the stock voice coil magnet is, never seen one that small:

Overall the install was pretty easy, Bavsound has a nice video for the X2 on YouTube that walks you through how to take off the door panels and the center speaker cover. Everything in the Focal kit just slots right in, perfect fit.

Nice upgrade in sound overall. Definitely better lower mids and the highs are MUCH less piercing. Overall tighter imaging too, the sense of depth and space is a lot more precise. I still think the speakers needed to be replaced before the amp for the greatest result, but I can also tell now that the current stock amp is running out of juice pretty early too. I'll look into that soon, hopefully I can find something that doesn't require Windows OS to set up the DSP, grrr....

The only downside on the new speakers is that I only replaced the front three thinking those would be enough of an improvement for the driver. However you can definitely still hear the harsh highs coming from the rear door speakers, so I just ordered those as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the install process.
      06-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Do you think the center speaker is really worth it? Was thinking to start with just the front door ones.

I'm with you on those jangly piercing highs in the stock "hi fi" system. For some reason they didn't bother me much at first, but now they really get on my nerves.

[edit]

One other question, the Focal site specifies IC BMW 100L which seem to differ only at the bezel, where the L has a lip with a foam shroud, and the regular 100 is more flush. Which one did you choose?

https://www.focal-america.com/product/ic-bmw-100/

https://www.focal-america.com/product/ic-bmw-100l/

Last edited by //TMT; 06-19-2020 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The doors took the IC BMW 100L speakers, which came as a pair. The center channel was the ICC BMW 100 speaker, sold on it's own.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ICB...-BMW-100L.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ICC...C-BMW-100.html

I definitely think the center channel is worth it, it's almost the same volume as the door speakers so contributes a lot to what you hear from the driver's or passenger seat.
      06-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #11
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks and yes understood on the ICC which is for the center.

Reason I ask about the center is that Focal wants to sell the IS active crossover ones in the front doors, then the woofers, then IC for the rears, and only after getting into kilobucks do they suggest the center.

https://www.focal-inside.com/bmw/en/...pe-2018-f39-2/

Last edited by //TMT; 06-20-2020 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: ICC is 100mm/4" same as door speakers!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No idea why they suggest that order, but it doesn't make sense to me to swap out the front doors and leave that harsh center channel still in your face. It's the easiest of all the speakers to change too.
      06-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #13
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, like you I went for the Focal front set, ICC 100 center and IC 100L pair doors, and it's a definite thumbs-up. I went for the eBay seller "Audio for fun" in Krakow Poland, who delivered the authentic goods in just 4 days to the east coast, for $368 before tax. Shipping is semi-outrageous but the bottom line is far below any other.

Just breaking them in, but after 10 minutes they sound awesome, to my unsophisticated ear anyway. They need more volume than "hi-fi" stock, but they do deliver. I set the Fader to the leading edge of the front seats, and Balance slightly right. Nobody ever rides in back, and hardly ever shotgun.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #14
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's a really nice upgrade for sure. I'm putting in the back door speakers this weekend, can't wait.
      07-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any progress on Phase Two?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #16
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yep, back speakers are in now and I’m very happy that harshness is all gone now. Great improvement and fairly easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Re the reduced volume, due to the need for a better amplifier to match the new speakers, I'm bummed that the saved volume can't be increased above 50%. BimmerCode can tweak it but 50 is too low. 60 would be better, maybe even 70 with the Focals. Well, a couple of clicks fixes it.

Not sure the back door upgrade is worth it though. Tweaking the fader to the front edge of the seats suits me fine so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

(visitor from the X1 board)

I did the Focal IFBMW-C speakers up front and one Focal IFBMW-SUB V2 under the driver seat and it was a huge improvement in clarity, imaging and mid bass. I was able to wangle both on ebay for about $250 for the sub new and about $239 for the pair of door speakers new.

What I listen to: 70's, 80's, Dianne Krall, Fleetwood Mac, Italian Opera, Dave Matthews, etc.. All from uncompressed lossless mp3's.

I come from the oldschool ADS, Alpine 7909 and 3545 world.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #19
seaton463
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i

I just did the full Bavsound upgrade (Amp+subs+speakers). I did the amp first and immediately noticed a big difference in clarity when set to the stock speaker tune. I have now done the speakers and subs, and changed over to the Bavsound tune. I will be taking it for an initial test drive later this afternoon. Hoping for good results.

I have used Focal in my other cars and had the Bimmertech Alphas (including amp) in my f56 Mini Cooper. I decided to go with Bavsound to give them a try this time around.

Overall the install was very straightforward and consistent with the Bavsound video. The only issue I noticed was making sure I used a magnet to get the screws out of the pocket in the lower door handle location. The screw got stuck in the little channels around the pocket on the one door where did not pull the screw out with the magnet first.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #20
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that handle location was the only bit that was a pain. Had the screw slip through that slot once when I was all done putting the panel back on and had to remove it again. Oops.
      07-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #21
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
All from uncompressed lossless mp3's.
How are you creating lossless MP3s?
      07-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
allwheelsdriven