BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Pirelli 20" Run Flat replacement

06-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Pirelli 20" Run Flat replacement

Just a quick story to share, in case it helps inform others: Bought my M35i in October and quickly put on winter wheels/tires. Recently put the 20s back on and got a screw embedded in the tread. Thought I was "screwed", since normally there would be no coverage even though purchased new with car but without added protection package from dealer.

Turns out Pirelli covers their run flats for a year and/or 2/32s of wear (I think that's correct). If you search in Google you can find various forum posts and links to the 13-page PDF from Pirelli.

So, I contacted my dealer and, after consulting with their tire center, they concurred. HOWEVER, the tire center said original tread depth was 9/32 so it would need to be greater than 7/32 to qualify.

I thought: no problem, as I've probably driven these less than 1000 miles. But, they came back as 7/32. I was about to have a cow but my service tech searched for the specs on our tire and found THEY ARE 8/32 when new. So, I got my tire, mounted and balanced, out the door for $0.

From what I can tell, the 9/32 is pretty standard, which is why even the guy at the tire center used that number without actually checking. In fact, it might even say that number in the PDF from Pirelli.

Just a word to the wise, should you happen to go down that same "road"...
Appreciate 0