BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) New X2 M-Sport - A Few Questions about Trans/Engine Strange and Steering Behavior

10-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 and X4

New X2 M-Sport - A Few Questions about Trans/Engine Strange and Steering Behavior

Guys

Just picked up an X2 MSport. We have owned just about every BMW prior from M3's to M2's etc.. We love the brand.

So the first thing I am experiencing which is a bit strange is when you come to a stop you can feel the RPM change after you stop a bit and a feeling of almost it putting itself in a neutral mode. Yo have to be conscious of it and once you notice it its a little strange. I DO HAVE THE AUTO STOP START TURNED OFF BTW.

I didn't notice it on the X2 we test drove but after 2 weeks of having this we notice it. Whats interesting is if your stopped with the brake fully depressed if you let off a little bit on the brake pedal you can feel it kind of come out of that mode. I asked the Shop Forman at my dealer who i know for 20 years and he said he thinks its the Trans kind of disengaging to save on gas milage etc. Can you guys try this on your cars and let me know if you feel the same. When you come to a slow rolling stop its sometimes more noticeable than coming down from 50 to Zero. Then try the brake let up slowly and you kind of feel the trans do something and I think you can see the car front end lift a bit as its almost like going into gear. Not a deal breaker for me but strange for me.

What do you guys think about the steering at highway speeds 60-80 MPH ?? We are finding it a bit unsure and slightly twitchy. It needs more correction than i had hoped. I know its electric steering and they are trying to make them steer better but its not as effortless as we had hoped. We have a New Porsche 718 and a New Audi SQ5 in the house currently and they hold their line on the highway with no effort. I did have a problem with an SQ5 3 years ago with similar steering funniness and eventually traded it for a Macan GTS which steered amazing.

I checked the Tire pressure of course and they did have 39-40 pounds in them which is higher than the 36 it says in the door so I lowered it to around 35 or so and its maybe a little better but not like my partners new M5 which steers like my Porsches.

We love the car otherwise a lot and its total fun and quick and all around cool but I am hoping that this is something we are all having and its just the norm. I do know its built on the Mini Platform but I had hoped that wouldn't made it less of a BMW.

Thanks
Craig
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

I noticed that "neutral" thing also with the transmission...you should see what it does in the x1! it is even more pronounced

Steering seems okay to me at all speeds. I've driven several BMW's from the new lineup each several weeks at a time. x1, x5, 330i x-drive wagon and 330i sedan steering all seemed stranger and lighter / less predictable than the x2.... the x2 doesn't have the best steering either though.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

I feel like it's turbo lag, because i noticed it stock and during the test drive (feels like a deadspot before anything engages). With tune, I tried to replicate it and no so-called trans lag.
      10-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Which tires/wheels do you have? I have the optional 20" wheels and the tires are supposed to be inflated to 40 psi.

Are you driving in sport mode and with the transmission in sport mode? I always drive with both sport modes enabled and I find it's more responsive. I don't have any issues with the steering, however, I do notice that there is some strange behavior with while braking and occasionally accelerating.

The odd sensation braking is probably related to the regenerative braking. You can see on the tachometer when it's happening.

I think there is something going on with the transmission, probably lock-up of the torque converter or the bands. I find there is a lag when you roll on the throttle after coasting. It takes a while before the vehicle starts to pull again. I don't think this is turbo lag. It happens even on part throttle where the turbo doesn't come into play.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Joshilling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xdrive 28i

The transmission disengages from the engine to save gas. It’s not turbo lag.

The same thing happens with the X1. If you watch the tach, the rpms do drop from 1000 to 600. If you pay close attention you can feel the transmission disengage and then reengage gets when you let up on the brake. If you turn on the auto stop it won’t happen because the engine will shut down instead.

It does take some getting used to. There are a few extreme examples of the transmission having a significant delay when it reengages floating around the forums, but the long delay doesn’t appear to be widespread.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshilling View Post
The transmission disengages from the engine to save gas. It’s not turbo lag.

The same thing happens with the X1. If you watch the tach, the rpms do drop from 1000 to 600. If you pay close attention you can feel the transmission disengage and then reengage gets when you let up on the brake. If you turn on the auto stop it won’t happen because the engine will shut down instead.

It does take some getting used to. There are a few extreme examples of the transmission having a significant delay when it reengages floating around the forums, but the long delay doesn’t appear to be widespread.

Thanks Josh.. Yes thats what the tech told me thats its a normal thing and a fuel saving feature.

Appreciate the response.

THX
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Which tires/wheels do you have? I have the optional 20" wheels and the tires are supposed to be inflated to 40 psi.

Are you driving in sport mode and with the transmission in sport mode? I always drive with both sport modes enabled and I find it's more responsive. I don't have any issues with the steering, however, I do notice that there is some strange behavior with while braking and occasionally accelerating.

The odd sensation braking is probably related to the regenerative braking. You can see on the tachometer when it's happening.

I think there is something going on with the transmission, probably lock-up of the torque converter or the bands. I find there is a lag when you roll on the throttle after coasting. It takes a while before the vehicle starts to pull again. I don't think this is turbo lag. It happens even on part throttle where the turbo doesn't come into play.

Bimmer

We have the 19" Msport stock rims with the all seasons on it.

The door sticker says 36 PSI for all 4 tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
North Shore Trader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 x28i MSport

I'm had my 2018 for a month now. (Dealer Demo)

I've felt the same odd stop/start sensations... (With auto stop/start off)

I've also noticed that when coming to a slow rolling stop the car seems to "stutter".. almost as if the brakes are pulsating or the sensation of coming to a stop when driving a manual transmission without depressing the clutch..
Anyone have that issue?

Oh, for those that have Auto/Stop Start off (light on): have you been able to have the car remember your last setting? I was able to that with my 2014 328GT but not with this one!
Appreciate 0