BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) NEW X1 Owner - help with RTF selection

03-31-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
shadowsnypa1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

NEW X1 Owner - help with RTF selection

HI all

So I bought a 2017 X1 x-drive/ 2L diesel engine Msport, a week ago and am quite happy with it, still trying to get used to its high ride having come from a E60 5 series m-sport that I had for 11 years

my question here relates to run flat tyres, now I used to have them on my 5 series and am aware of the -ves and +ves, this car comes with 225/45/19 w92 runflat tyres= bridgestone potenza S001.

however, ive been reading that they are not the best for grip (dry or wet) and drive for the X1 and hence have researched and found that these were better all round = Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 DSROF
225/45 R19 92W * with rim protection (MFS) runflat.

So Im kind of wondering what RFT tyres you guys ( and gals) are using so I can make up my mind and begin the process of changing them.
thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Think outside the box! Are you hell-bent on using Run Flat Tyres(RFTs)?
The new UK X1 cars (xDrive) come with standard tyres. You cannot specify RFTs in the UK anymore. Last year I purchased a brand new F48 (2020) LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport and it came with Continental Premium Contact 6 * (BMW * rated), 225/50 R18 W XL tyres. The car is normally supplied with the Gunge kit to get you home. I specified the space spare wheel and jack option.
I understand and after doing a lot of research, this change was made because of the complaints of the cabin noise of RFTs in this vehicle.
I have owned many BMWs and for the last 2 I have changed over from RFTs to normal rubber. The last one was an X3 and it made a big difference with that car also.
Note 1. I am in the UK and you will get different international answers because of the way the cars are configured in other countries. For instance, in the US you can specify all-season tyres from the factory. In the UK it is not possible to do this on the build. Also, there are no all-season tyres with * marking available in the UK.
Note 2. If you do go to standard rubber, make sure the tyres are suitable for the RFT rims. There is a guy on a UK BMW forum who has 2 different version rims on his car and he must fit run-flats.
Note 3. If you want clarification on this matter, I suggest you speak to Black Circles as well as your local dealer. Black Circles are very good with technical matters on this car.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 04-01-2021 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #3
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

hi had two F48's one with 18" non RF and one with 19" RF like yours. I am sure you know if you change to non RF the choice of rubber opens up.

To answer you though we changed out 19" runflats to continental sport contacts, non RF, the reason i mention this is i felt the difference was there but not as marked as other vehicles i have done this on, i don't think the tyre/road noise people complain about is solely due to the tyres, i would say 25% tyres, 75% transmission through suspension/sound insulation.

But to actually answer your question (sorry) i also had a 430d at the same time and i changed the same Bridgstones to Goodyear Aysimetric's runflats.

The cars was smoother, more compliant, griped better in all conditions, it was a more marked improvement than taking the runflats off our x1. in fact it actually felt like i had removed RF's.

To top it off i think they were about 25% cheaper. If could do it now i would look for Michelin PS4 or 4 's if possible.

I have seen none RF Michelin PS4 for about £140, RF version £165 (this would be my choice) Conti premium contact 6 and the bridgestone are the same price.

the list below shows all bmw * rated runflats on Camskill, my choice in order would be, Michelin,goodyear/conti, Pirelli, dunlop, budget, Bridgstone. They also have three BMW * rated non runflats.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s840...Runflat_inc_OE
Appreciate 3
      04-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
mighty-x1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

+1 on ditching RFT's

18" wheels with RFT was too harsh for what I expected from a BMW. Switched to standard tires at 32 psi and enjoy driving much more now.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I specifically ordered non-RFT back in 2016 when we bought our X1, along with a space saver wheel. Previous experience of them on an older 5 series wasn't great, and the road noise levels on the X1 aren't the best even with regular tyres. We've had one incident in 5 years, when a bolt went through the tyre at low speed, and that just required a swap onto the space saver and money for a new tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
shadowsnypa1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Ok thank you all for your contributions and apologies for the delay for my reply as this was due to heavy work load.

So I am in between 2 minds now, my dilemma is this, I definitely get the reason why go non RF, but for the last 11 years my previous BM had run flats and has saved my life on 2 occasions as I was using RFs on the motorway doing "legal" speeds of course when the tyre had a sudden "hole".
So I was definitely thinking more RF tyres but better ones. as my journey is now half what it used to be (200 miles to 60 mile round trip) i may be more acceptable to non - RFs but having those means i need to source a space saver and fit that in the boot.

I have asked my dealer by phone a few days back to check for pricing and availability of this. however, judging by the 2nd hand market (only for research) i cannot see any that fit my vehicle.

so in brief I need to make up my mind dont I? at this moment in time im still favouring the RF albeit they are a less smooth ride etc... and hence I would go back to my OG question, from the UK or the continent, in terms of GRIP in wet weather in particular, what tyres would you recommend based on your experience with them?

thank you Plagm for link and your preference in order, Im assuming that this order is based on comfort, wet grip etc... thanks again all
E30 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnypa1 View Post
Ok thank you all for your contributions and apologies for the delay for my reply as this was due to heavy work load.

So I am in between 2 minds now, my dilemma is this, I definitely get the reason why go non RF, but for the last 11 years my previous BM had run flats and has saved my life on 2 occasions as I was using RFs on the motorway doing "legal" speeds of course when the tyre had a sudden "hole".
So I was definitely thinking more RF tyres but better ones. as my journey is now half what it used to be (200 miles to 60 mile round trip) i may be more acceptable to non - RFs but having those means i need to source a space saver and fit that in the boot.

I have asked my dealer by phone a few days back to check for pricing and availability of this. however, judging by the 2nd hand market (only for research) i cannot see any that fit my vehicle.

so in brief I need to make up my mind dont I? at this moment in time im still favouring the RF albeit they are a less smooth ride etc... and hence I would go back to my OG question, from the UK or the continent, in terms of GRIP in wet weather in particular, what tyres would you recommend based on your experience with them?

thank you Plagm for link and your preference in order, Im assuming that this order is based on comfort, wet grip etc... thanks again all

I think your safe choice is Michelin PS4 RF. one of the best rated tyres out there for all reasons, good wear rates, good wet/dry, i don't know from experience but had would put money on them being more comfortable than Bridgestone but it will be better in every other respect, i have never seen a Bridgestone win a tyre review or even come in the top half of any review.

Plus your keeping the runflat so ending that dilema.
Appreciate 0