home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Closed Thread

03-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #551
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Hoping that the G87 offers options that were not available in the F87, a proper full leather interior and a car that offers more than what a 2-series would be allowed to have.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:34 AM   #552
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
It's got nothing to do with the COMMUNIST PARTY.

It's good business sense and many countries do it not just China; try Singapore or Indonesia, try opening a business in Dubai, but to name a few.

In Australia we pay a hefty tax on cars and we are not a communist country.

If you want to keep your people in front, you keep foreign ownership at a distance, simple.

Of course, there are many variables that come into play such as corruption and cronyism but that too is no different to US, Europe, or Australia.
I thought we sold our country already...not true?
Indeed we sold most of it.
Karmic Man1996.00
      03-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #553
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
Hoping that the G87 offers options that were not available in the F87, a proper full leather interior and a car that offers more than what a 2-series would be allowed to have.
They made one already; it's called the M3
ubchariot101.50
      03-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #554
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
M2 with M8 interior details is my wish but without hope.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #555
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

More news...the new G87 M2 should be very exciting

In addition, looks like the 1 series M is making a come back to combat the AMG A45

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ted-first-time
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #556
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
More news...the new G87 M2 should be very exciting

In addition, looks like the 1 series M is making a come back to combat the AMG A45

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ted-first-time
Too bad we don't get the 1 series in North America.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #557
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
Quote:
are you talking about G87, G87C, G87CS?

If just G87, why would they put CF roof and adaptive suspension in it? What would that leave them to play with when it comes to the higher C & CS iterations of the platform?
Agreed. I am new to BMW, and have my M2C on order, so I don't have a lot of experience with the technology and enhancement changes between model generations; but they just got done charging $20K for that stuff, and I'm not sure how upset they would want all those CS owners who just paid up for it. I think it's great to be hopeful, but I don't see it happening.
Totally.

I'm one of those CS owners and would be pretty pissed if they did that. In fact if they do something like that, my F87 M2 CS will be the last BMW I'll ever buy.
I'm 99% sure they'll do this.

Why would they build a new m2 without an adaptive suspension and CF bits? In what world will bmw say, "hey we can't put this stuff in the new M2 bc we have it in the CS and overcharged a bunch of people...that won't be a good look"? Lol.

They're will be a stripper version (which I prefer) and a top tier version with the same/similar M3/4 CF options (e.g seats) and extras w/ $10-$15k in options. Then they'll belt out another CS version in 2025.

If people are cool with the G80 styling, it won't take long for them to warm up to the G87.

Also, BMW has the market cornered for a manual $60k to $75k coupe. They can diarrhea out whatever they want and it'll sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #558
chapmans
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3, 2012 Boxster S

I bet the base car is a competition due to the S58 motor with no standard M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #559
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmans View Post
No, guarantee it will follow just like the M3/4. The current M2 went to the "comp" only edition since the old engine(N55) had to be phased out, so they kind of had to do it like that since it happened mid-cycle due to regs. The new M2 will have a base(non comp) and then they'll have the comp with a little more power.

Last edited by IllSic_Design; 03-23-2021 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #560
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If just G87, why would they put CF roof and adaptive suspension in it? What would that leave them to play with when it comes to the higher C & CS iterations of the platform?
Agreed. I am new to BMW, and have my M2C on order, so I don't have a lot of experience with the technology and enhancement changes between model generations; but they just got done charging $20K for that stuff, and I'm not sure how upset they would want all those CS owners who just paid up for it. I think it's great to be hopeful, but I don't see it happening.
Totally.

I'm one of those CS owners and would be pretty pissed if they did that. In fact if they do something like that, my F87 M2 CS will be the last BMW I'll ever buy.

Why would they build a new m2 without an adaptive suspension and CF bits? In what world will bmw say, "hey we can't put this stuff in the new M2 bc we have it in the CS and overcharged a bunch of people...that won't be a good look"? Lol.

They're will be a stripper version (which I prefer) and a top tier version with the same/similar M3/4 CF options (e.g seats) and extras w/ $10-$15k in options. Then they'll belt out another CS version in 2025.

If people are cool with the G80 styling, it won't take long for them to warm up to the G87.

Also, BMW has the market cornered for a manual $60k to $75k coupe. They can diarrhea out whatever they want and it'll sell.
Let me ask you something, does the F80 M3 have CF roof or is the the F80 M3C/CS that has the CF roof?
      03-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #561
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Competition is just a marketing term. I don't think there are anything stopping them from making one base g87 and one more powerful competition g87.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #562
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

The question is

Weight and Size?

Will BMW M make a lighter and nimbler M2 drivers car. Or do they follow the new m3 m4 route. Make it Bigger and give it more fat and compensate it with more horse power. That have we seen from the E30 M3 onwards.

For me the Limit of size and weight in the M2 has been reached. For people who want big fat luxury horsepower bmw there is the M3, m4, M5 and M8.

Lets just hope there are some people working on the m2 and know words like Big, Fat, long, heavy and get some common sense and build lighter and smaller wheelbase m2 which gives a nimbler drivers car.

I now hop in my 1280kg Yaris GR rally special. A dream to drive maybe BMW M development should test one. Maybe they wake up and see the light (weight)
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
santua34.50
      03-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #563
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally.

Let me ask you something, does the F80 M3 have CF roof or is the the F80 M3C/CS that has the CF roof?
What's the point of this question?

Doesn't matter what you call the sub model, it'll have CF options including roof.

Here, even the 440 and 340 are getting a CF roof option :

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/27/...s-carbon-roof/
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      03-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #564
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:

Doesn't matter what you call the sub model, it'll have CF options including roof.

Wow,that is definitely surprising.This is great news.It wouldn’t make any sense for BMW to offer a CF roof on those non M models and not the G87.There still haven’t been any test mule pics showing the G87 with a CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #565
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

Will BMW M make a lighter and nimbler M2 drivers car. Or do they follow the new m3 m4 route. Make it Bigger and give it more fat and compensate it with more horse power.
I think the answer is pretty obvious. People on this thread were talking about xdrive/adaptive suspension/roomier space for a 2 series. I don't think there is any chance that bmw will make the next gen smaller or even keep it at the current size. They found a successful recipe to hide the increased weight/size for g80/g82, why not carry it over to g87?

g87 will for sure be a more refined compact luxury performance coupe with more power, state of art tech and safety, more stability and traction, better daily usability. But for will it be more fun and engaging to drive? I don't think I can set my expectation too high for it...

BTW I wish we have the GR Yaris in US.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #566
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
The question is

Weight and Size?

Will BMW M make a lighter and nimbler M2 drivers car. Or do they follow the new m3 m4 route. Make it Bigger and give it more fat and compensate it with more horse power. That have we seen from the E30 M3 onwards.

For me the Limit of size and weight in the M2 has been reached. For people who want big fat luxury horsepower bmw there is the M3, m4, M5 and M8.

Lets just hope there are some people working on the m2 and know words like Big, Fat, long, heavy and get some common sense and build lighter and smaller wheelbase m2 which gives a nimbler drivers car.

I now hop in my 1280kg Yaris GR rally special. A dream to drive maybe BMW M development should test one. Maybe they wake up and see the light (weight)
I would love a GR Yaris. I would take that hands down over an m2 CS.

I hope Toyota brings that to the US and also crossing my fingers on the Supra manual, esp with the 400z being offered in stick.

Still, props to BMW for continuing to offer a proper manual option.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #567
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally.

Option, yes. Standard feature, seriously doubt it.

That's my point
      03-24-2021, 02:46 AM   #568
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same thing as they did before, and put the B58 in the M2 and retuned S58 in the M2C and CS.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #569
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally.

Option, yes. Standard feature, seriously doubt it.

That's my point
Who said it would be standard.

I wrote "They're will be a stripper version (which I prefer) and a top tier version with the same/similar M3/4 CF options (e.g seats) and extras w/ $10-$15k in options. "

To which you replied something about a CS version having CF parts (roof). To which I responded saying even the 340/440 will have CF option(s).

So...are you saying I'm right?

All the options on the CS will be on the G87 including adaptive suspension. I'm not sure about driving dynamics but CF parts are the new nonsense gimmick that will be optional on all these cars and will not reserved for "special" CS/CSL/GTS models. Another way to make more $$$ bc people are pathologically obsessed with sticking carbon everywhere.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #570
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So...are you saying I'm right? Not by a long shot

All the options on the CS will be on the G87 including adaptive suspension. I'm not sure about driving dynamics but CF parts are the new nonsense gimmick that will be optional on all these cars and will not reserved for "special" CS/CSL/GTS models. Another way to make more $$$ bc people are pathologically obsessed with sticking carbon everywhere.
Sublime00

My original coment to Puppetz should have been self explanatory where the expectation was that they be included ie STANDARD. That was before you entered the discussion my friend.

M-performance parts are available, yes. At your picking and at your cost AFTER you pick up your car from the dealer.

CS version of F80/82/87 came STANDARD with CF roof. F87 CS roof was STRUCTURAL and unique.

BASE G87 will not have any CF unless you add it post-delivery. G87C similarly will in all likelihood NOT boast any of the CF goodies either. Ditto for Adaptive Suspension.

All manufacturers add features incrementally as the stature and hierarchy rises within a given platform. They do so to give themselves room to make more revenue with higher up iterations of each platform as you have pointed out to some degree.

If BMW was to offer the CF roof and other bits, as well as adaptive suspension in the BASE G87, why would anyone in their right mind buy a Completion or a CS/CSL version down the track? In the same vein, why would BMW even offer those as optional extras?

This really is not rocket science
      03-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #571
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Keep in mind that at least one reason the F87 M2 (in CS variant) took so long to get a CF roof is that the Leipzig factory is old and not capable of handling all the customization that the other factories are able to. Given that the Mexico plant is brand new, it will probably be able to accommodate all sorts of customization within the G87 platform, with the key exception of European Delivery.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #572
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Keep in mind that at least one reason the F87 M2 (in CS variant) took so long to get a CF roof is that the Leipzig factory is old and not capable of handling all the customization that the other factories are able to. Given that the Mexico plant is brand new, it will probably be able to accommodate all sorts of customization within the G87 platform, with the key exception of European Delivery.
Let's hope they offer these in more than just four colors.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M34902.50
Closed Thread