BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Stock market tips and experiences

02-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #397
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Market has not opened yet but as of now them SLV calls look pretty damn good If these gains hold by open we should see at least 50% gains on the $32 calls

http://www.kitco.com/market/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #398
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Load up on the SLV dips..

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #399
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice find. will consider but seems late to join the party
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #400
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post

If you want to be safe I would wait for the pullback but we may just run to $40 from here if $35 is cleared.

USO calls should do well as oil is poised to make a run for $110 pretty soon. Stock market made a nice run yesterday even with the oil at almost $100 which means that the market has accepted the $100 oil price lol..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #401
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post

Today's morning gains for SLV

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:SLV

A good 50% plus for call options today.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #402
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Alpine White 323i

Baidu (BIDU) has been pretty sick lately.

http://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:BIDU

entry at this point is steep, but I can see it having apple/google like potential.

disclaimer *poster assumes no responsibility whatsover for the above comment*

Last edited by Polarbear83; 03-04-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #403
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear83 View Post
Baidu (BIDU) has been pretty sick lately.

http://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:BIDU

entry at this point is steep, but I can see it having apple/google like potential.

disclaimer *poster assumes no responsibility whatsover for the above comment*
It was/is kicking google's ass on share price. Last year it split 10:1 from $700 to $70.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #404
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Silver is a must buy. Check out the volume now for the April $40 calls
SLV will fly soon and so will Silver.

http://www.google.com/finance/option_chain?q=NYSE:SLV
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #405
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

how soon are we talking?

I got some extra USD currently being shuffled around in my business (I'm Canadian), but it's good to go in a couple month's time. Also the exchange rate has been very favorable lately so I might divert some more as well.
      03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #406
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
how soon are we talking?

I got some extra USD currently being shuffled around in my business (I'm Canadian), but it's good to go in a couple month's time. Also the exchange rate has been very favorable lately so I might divert some more as well.

Are you looking at shares or options?

Check out USO as well. The $45 April calls have quite a bit of interest and activity on them as well. If a big fight breaks out over the weekend in Libya oil prices will rise and USO call options will rise substantially. Shares are safer but don't pay as well as calls.

http://www.google.com/finance/option_chain?q=NYSE:USO

Someone has been doing a lot of buying today for both USO and SLV. If you have an account go online and see for yourself and then decide what you believe or feel. I'm posting what I see and could be wrong but I doubt oil prices will drop and Silver will drop as well though everything is possible these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #407
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you looking at shares or options?

Check out USO as well. The $45 April calls have quite a bit of interest and activity on them as well. If a big fight breaks out over the weekend in Libya oil prices will rise and USO call options will rise substantially. Shares are safer but don't pay as well as calls.

http://www.google.com/finance/option_chain?q=NYSE:USO

Someone has been doing a lot of buying today for both USO and SLV. If you have an account go online and see for yourself and then decide what you believe or feel. I'm posting what I see and could be wrong but I doubt oil prices will drop and Silver will drop as well though everything is possible these days.
Just shares.
Thanks for the tip! got another window open and reading on USO right now
haven't been too busy at work lately so been keeping an eye on SLV, and threads on forums. Another one is TIF (NYSE).
      03-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #408
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

These posts bring back memories. I was an equities trader from 1998 - 2001. I over nighted mostly with occasional day trades. I'm convinced if I NEVER did one day trade, I would be living in a mansion right now.

By the very end of 1998, internet stocks were the hottest thing. And when I mean hot, these stocks were up 20-60++ points PER DAY! After my rookie year in 1998, I made about 100K (half went to firm and half went to me - they put up ALL the money). Half of that I made in December. That's when the nets were heating up.

I set myself a goal for 1999. The goal was to make 250K for the year. I realized that goal before January 10. I became an internet junkie, and I JUMPED on every net stock I could get my hands on. 20-60 points at a clip. No lie. Mind you, my buying power was about 700K. After subsequent increases in buying power, I made over $1,000,000 by April. A year ago before that I was looking for a second job. It was all down hill from there. I ended up losing 400K of it to end the year at 600K.

2000-2001 the downhill spiral continued. All I did was churn out trades and ended up either breaking even or ending the year in a loss.

3 major things were the dagger for me and most other traders at that time.

1. Firm wide cuts. Buying power across the board was significantly decreased for everybody. As much as 80% for many.

2. Volatility decreased signifcantly. Except for Google or Berkshire, when was the last time, you saw a stock move 20-60 points in a day? These were a dime a dozen.

3. Decimilization. Not too many people tak about this, but this was the final nail in the coffin. Thick traded stocks traded at 1/8 increments. That's .125. So three moves is 3/8 or 38 cents. Now with decimilization., I've seen spreads at .02. Three moves is .06. Big difference.

When you're making $4,000,000 per year, and now you're making 300K, you might have to sell a condo, an M3 :-), etc. But you can survive on 300K. When you're making 300K, and now you're making 18K, it's time to move on.

Now I am in Options Compliance at a major broker dealer. I have a lot of reponsibility, and I enjoy it, but I still day dream about the good old days. I feel like Henry Hill from Goodfellas:

"Everything was for the taking. And now it's all over. And that's the hardest part. Today everything is different; there's no action... have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food - right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody... get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

One day I will come back in some limited capacity. Certainly not as a full time job, but I am convinced there will be a sector like the internet in my lifetime that I am going to jump all over.

For everyone else who is scratching and clawing, I will leave you with the NUMBER ONE rule in trading (and sometimes in life):

CUT YOUR LOSSES!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #409
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
These posts bring back memories. I was an equities trader from 1998 - 2001. I over nighted mostly with occasional day trades. I'm convinced if I NEVER did one day trade, I would be living in a mansion right now.

By the very end of 1998, internet stocks were the hottest thing. And when I mean hot, these stocks were up 20-60++ points PER DAY! After my rookie year in 1998, I made about 100K (half went to firm and half went to me - they put up ALL the money). Half of that I made in December. That's when the nets were heating up.

I set myself a goal for 1999. The goal was to make 250K for the year. I realized that goal before January 10. I became an internet junkie, and I JUMPED on every net stock I could get my hands on. 20-60 points at a clip. No lie. Mind you, my buying power was about 700K. After subsequent increases in buying power, I made over $1,000,000 by April. A year ago before that I was looking for a second job. It was all down hill from there. I ended up losing 400K of it to end the year at 600K.

2000-2001 the downhill spiral continued. All I did was churn out trades and ended up either breaking even or ending the year in a loss.

1. Firm wide cuts. Buying power across the board was significantly decreased for everybody. As much as 80% for many.

2. Volatility decreased signifcantly. Except for Google or Berkshire, when was the last time, you saw a stock move 20-60 points in a day? These were a dime a dozen.

3. Decimilization. Not too many people tak about this, but this was the final nail in the coffin. Thick traded stocks traded at 1/8 increments. That's .125. So three moves is 3/8 or 38 cents. Now with decimilization., I've seen spreads at .02. Three moves is .06. Big difference.

When you're making $4,000,000 per year, and now you're making 300K, you might have to sell a condo, an M3 :-), etc. But you can survive on 300K. When you're making 300K, and now you're making 18K, it's time to move on.

Now I am in Options Compliance at a major broker dealer. I have a lot of reponsibility, and I enjoy it, but I still day dream about the good old days. I feel like Henry Hill from Goodfellas:

"Everything was for the taking. And now it's all over. And that's the hardest part. Today everything is different; there's no action... have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food - right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody... get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

One day I will come back in some limited capacity. Certainly not as a full time job, but I am convinced there will be a sector like the internet in my lifetime that I am going to jump all over.

For everyone else who is scratching and clawing, I will leave you with the NUMBER ONE rule in trading (and sometimes in life):

CUT YOUR LOSSES!

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #410
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Look at SLV go

Click on the March 19 and April 16 to see the $33,$34,$35 call gains

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #411
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
im long SIRI
they just announced TIGER BLOOD RADIO!!! to follow Charlie Sheen news hahahaha
freaking awesome !
      03-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #412
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post

CUT YOUR LOSSES!
I feel for you man. But I'm glad you managed to get back on your feet.

We knew someone who went bust when the dotcom bubble burst. A lady who eventually ended up throwing over 100k into Nortel alone. You probably remember them, sorry for any bad memories if any. She even quit her day job just to paste herself to the computer screen. I had just started high school at that time.
      03-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #413
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Quote:
I feel for you man. But I'm glad you managed to get back on your feet.

We knew someone who went bust when the dotcom bubble burst. A lady who eventually ended up throwing over 100k into Nortel alone. You probably remember them, sorry for any bad memories if any. She even quit her day job just to paste herself to the computer screen. I had just started high school at that time.
Thanks.

For me it was different. I was a clerk at the same place for 2 years before I became a trader making a small salary. It was a foot in the door to work on Wall Street. I never expected this. It was a great ride, but I knew I wanted to stay in Wall Street. After trading, I was unemployed for 18 months before I clawed my way back into another job. To reach the highest and lowest point of your life in a span of 3 years was surreal. Fortunately I was able to move back home during the downturn. I caught it at the right time. I don't regret the path I took, and I'm glad I was a part of it. Today all I have left from those days are my NHT speakers and Movado watch.

Many people like the woman you mentioned quit jobs in completely different fields only to realize they missed the boat. I actually worked with a guy who was an ER doctor! I knew deep down inside when I saw magazine articles about waiters making 300K from day trading, that the party was not going to last.

I'm sorry. But bubbles burst. I read somewhere a while back when the internets were flying that the last sector to move like that was the electrical companies of the 1800s. They all went bust. What boggles my mind is how people have short memories. When the housing market exploded, people thought that since homes are tangible that it wouldn't burst like stocks. And it's not over yet. Have you seen these gas prices? If they continue this trend, the FED will have to raise rates to curb inflation. If that happens, there goes the neighborhood (No pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #414
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Silver is at $36 in Asia this morning

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #415
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Just shares.
Thanks for the tip! got another window open and reading on USO right now
haven't been too busy at work lately so been keeping an eye on SLV, and threads on forums. Another one is TIF (NYSE).

USO calls should pay well if these oil gains hold till opening bell and so should the SLV calls

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/futures/
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #416
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Silver is a must buy. Check out the volume now for the April $40 calls

Like I had said

Up almost 3% in pre-market

USO is up nicely too this morning so them calls should also pay off nicely after opening bell.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:USO

Them calls should pay nicely today.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #417
Polarbear83
Canada
Rep

they finally installed IE 8 on these dinosaur computers at work, and I'm liking the tabs at the top ... got one open for each ticker lol
      03-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #418
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
does anyone know where I can find a stock investment calculator?
sharebuilder used to have a good one

i need to see the following:

input : specific stock ticker
reinvest dividends? y/n
and systematic contributions y/n?

ive searched online and havent been able to find one..most of the investment calculators are lame

basically i want to look at CLX (clorox) vs BAC going back 5 years 10K in each and seeing waht my return would be, dividends invested....