BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition: production, order dates, engine specs & more (pre-launch info)

Closed Thread

02-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #1497
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
M2 Competition will not be expensive. In fact in some markets it will be cheaper than the existing M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Well if they mount a particle filter à la DPF in it and it has lower emissions than current M2, in countries like Netherlands or UK it can easily be cheaper.
Leaked VINs of 118 M2 Competition test mules reveal:
  • 52 out of 83 EURO-spec M2 Competition test mules (2U71 and 2U72) got code 1DE: "Eu6 Rde Exhaust Emissions Standard" ("Abgasnorm Eu6 Rde"); about WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure) and RDE (Real Driving Emissions): see for example here, here, here and here;
  • 5 test mules (including 1 Japan version (WBS2U72050VB09877) and 1 Australia version (WBS2U72030VB09876)) got code 805: "Activated Carbon Filter" ("Aktivkohlefilter");
  • 11 test mules (all China version) got code 1AK: "Exterior Fuel Filter" ("Aussenliegender Kraftstofffilter);
  • 1 test mule (India version (WBS2U7206KVB09874)) got code 858: "Engine Settings For Lower-quality Fuel" ("Motorauslegung F.mind.kraftstoff").
      02-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #1498
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

BMWBlog M2 Competition article

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/02/19/bm...show/#comments
      02-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #1499
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
I'm not sure I buy this part of their article, but you never know:

Throughout the entire body, the M2 Competition is slightly wider than the current M2, which simply means that designers and engineers fitted the new M2 Competition with larger fenders.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #1500
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Throughout the entire body, the M2 Competition is slightly wider than the current M2, which simply means that designers and engineers fitted the new M2 Competition with larger fenders.
Keep in mind that the infrastructure at the Leipzig factory also plays a key role: prior to building the M2, a 'collision check' through the production facilities was performed (see the picture below: "Störkantendurchlauf" = interfering edges run-through - source: this video (11:21-11:40)).

If an M2 variant fails that test (too wide), it's either back to the drawing board or build the car (partially) elsewhere, or work with 'add-on' body parts. I cannot see BMW restructuring the Leipzig production facility merely for building an M2 variant.

Conclusion: M2 variant fenders can only become as wide as the "Störkantendurchlauf" test allows. Likely there's still some margin compared to the current M2, but it might be getting tight.

02-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #1501
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Keep in mind that the infrastructure at the Leipzig factory also plays a key role: prior to building the M2, a 'collision check' through the production facilities was performed (see the picture below: "Störkantendurchlauf" = interfering edges run-through - source: this video (11:21-11:40)).

If an M2 variant fails that test (too wide), it's either back to the drawing board or build the car (partially) elsewhere, or work with 'add-on' body parts. I cannot see BMW restructuring the Leipzig production facility merely for building an M2 variant.

Conclusion: M2 variant fenders can only become as wide as the "Störkantendurchlauf" test allows. Likely there's still some margin compared to the current M2, but it might be getting tight.
bmwblog is full of inaccuracies, but hey even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'd put this on my wish list; if they're able to wide the fenders then they can squeeze in the same width tires as the M3/4. It'll need it to put down the extra power.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #1502
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
bmwblog is full of inaccuracies, but hey even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'd put this on my wish list; if they're able to wide the fenders then they can squeeze in the same width tires as the M3/4. It'll need it to put down the extra power.
You can easily put the M3/M4 tire size (255 / 275) on the actual M2. Rims are the same widths. There are some here that even drive wider tires on it ;-)
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #1503
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
You can easily put the M3/M4 tire size (255 / 275) on the actual M2. Rims are the same widths. There are some here that even drive wider tires on it ;-)
There are some threads under the wheels and tires section which confirm that under heavy cornering they rub. I believe BMW had stated in the past that this is the reason they didn't put the wider tires on the M2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. *ahem* Artemis...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #1504
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There are some threads under the wheels and tires section which confirm that under heavy cornering they rub. I believe BMW had stated in the past that this is the reason they didn't put the wider tires on the M2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. *ahem* Artemis...
Ok, may well be. But hard to believe that it may rub with stock height, especially as they are only 10mm wider.
I used to drive a 255 instead of 245 on my previous m135 with KW V3 without any issues, so that's why I thought it should work
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #1505
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
Ok, may well be. But hard to believe that it may rub with stock height, especially as they are only 10mm wider.
I used to drive a 255 instead of 245 on my previous m135 with KW V3 without any issues, so that's why I thought it should work
When you lower a car the wheels tuck in which actually helps. Hence why people that lower their cars usually get spacers or different wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #1506
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When you lower a car the wheels tuck in which actually helps. Hence why people that lower their cars usually get spacers or different wheels.
Sure, that is clear.
What I want to say, if you have stock, but compress that much, like in a high speed corner, you have the same tuck as the lowered car (with same wheels). So a lowered car is more likely to rub, if there are any space issues, as it is almost in that position without too much force on the suspension.

However, were going to much OT for this thread
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #1507
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Cars in customers hands by June 2018. I certainly hope not.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #1508
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Here's what M2 project manager Frank Isenberg said at the end of 2015 about the M2 tires, suspension and brakes:
"That chunkier body - 55mm wider front, 80mm rear - is essential to cover wider track courtesy of M4 forged aluminium suspension components. «The track is the same, but the M4 tyres wouldn't fit, so the tyres are 10mm narrower,» says Isenberg. The Michelin Pilot Sports measure 245/35 ZR19 front, 265/35 ZR19 rear.
The suspension is matched to bespoke springs and dampers but there's no adapative suspension. «The problem with adaptive dampers is you're changing the damper, not the spring, so you end up with a spring that is a compromise between two settings,» explains Isenberg.
Underneath the M2's squat body, additional bracing increases rigidity. «Boomerang braces» arc between headlamps and front wings, struts angled at 45 degrees glint through both kidney grilles like a rollcage through a rear window, and both the A-pillar and boot also sent for reinforcements.
The M4's optional carbon-ceramic brakes aren't offered, engineers arguing that the cost, plus the reduced power and weight of the M2 negate the need. Instead, regular M4 brakes are carried over - drilled discs all round, four-piston calipers front, two-piston rear - and you can ask your dealer for track pads; there's no performance increase and they squeak, but the last longer."
(source: here)
Regarding suspension and the forthcoming M2 Competition:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Do you guys think BMW will offer the M3/M4's adaptive suspension? I passed on the car cause of the rough ride but if they offered a more comfortable suspension option, that would be a game changer.
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).

Riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #1509
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Quote:
Here's what M2 project manager Frank Isenberg said at the end of 2015 about the M2 tires, suspension and brakes:
"That chunkier body - 55mm wider front, 80mm rear - is essential to cover wider track courtesy of M4 forged aluminium suspension components. «The track is the same, but the M4 tyres wouldn't fit, so the tyres are 10mm narrower,» says Isenberg. The Michelin Pilot Sports measure 245/35 ZR19 front, 265/35 ZR19 rear.
The suspension is matched to bespoke springs and dampers but there's no adapative suspension. «The problem with adaptive dampers is you're changing the damper, not the spring, so you end up with a spring that is a compromise between two settings,» explains Isenberg.
Underneath the M2's squat body, additional bracing increases rigidity. «Boomerang braces» arc between headlamps and front wings, struts angled at 45 degrees glint through both kidney grilles like a rollcage through a rear window, and both the A-pillar and boot also sent for reinforcements.
The M4's optional carbon-ceramic brakes aren't offered, engineers arguing that the cost, plus the reduced power and weight of the M2 negate the need. Instead, regular M4 brakes are carried over - drilled discs all round, four-piston calipers front, two-piston rear - and you can ask your dealer for track pads; there's no performance increase and they squeak, but the last longer."
(source: here)
Regarding suspension and the forthcoming M2 Competition:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Do you guys think BMW will offer the M3/M4's adaptive suspension? I passed on the car cause of the rough ride but if they offered a more comfortable suspension option, that would be a game changer.
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).

Riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.
M4 666m's do fit just fine dressed in 265 and 285 rubber with no rub on stock height and adjusted MP coils set-up.
Technically Frank had to say they didn't fit as the car had to leave the factory conforming to particular automotive standards - one of them being the fitting of snow chains. But as we know, snow chains are rarely on our modding lists so larger size works just fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #1510
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
M4 666m's do fit just fine dressed in 265 and 285 rubber with no rub on stock height and adjusted MP coils set-up.
Technically Frank had to say they didn't fit as the car had to leave the factory conforming to particular automotive standards - one of them being the fitting of snow chains. But as we know, snow chains are rarely on our modding lists so larger size works just fine.

Exactly, they always have to put in some safety margins. But we also can not forget, there needs to be some differentiation between an M4 M3 and M2. Not regarding the the tires here, but in general. That is also why a lot of things are not on the M2, as M Mirrors (just cannot believe it was because of aero dynamics), no special seats, roof and so on....
Otherwise the car would have quite a different entry price and it for sure was a kind of a "test run" to see if it will be successful. Now that it was, the M2 Competition will get even more "typical" M signatures parts, not base, but options
Appreciate 1
AngryBaby344.50
      02-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #1511
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I guess we will all see in April. My money says its under 60k happy shopping!!!
I agree. Like $59K base. So we're looking at almost $70 with DCT and decent seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #1512
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
You're talking about a completely different wheel. I'm sure the offset it not the same as the 437M and with an MP coilover setup you can adjust the suspension. Apples/Oranges

Not saying you can't run wider tires. Maybe that works for some as they never have lots of passengers or heavy loads. Just saying I've seen some report rubbing under HEAVY CORNERING. If you're not doing any tracking then you'll probably be fine with the stock setup and wider tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #1513
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:
I agree. Like $59K base. So we're looking at almost $70 with DCT and decent seats.
THESE ARE GUESSES

I'm thinking 58,400.
I want manual, so i could save @3k vs DCT option
"Adaptive" suspension included? am I loco?
Sport seats 6500
C.C. Brakes 8500

I would add sport seat option and a carbon fiber roof from IND. Dinan intake/exhaust, carbon fiber bits
My calculated guesses=73,400 not including tax
Don't flame me, I'm just guessing, i didnt look up current sport seats or brakes pricing.
      02-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #1514
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3

I think at 73k I'll be shopping for a different car. I just drove a 718 cayman s at 78k and for the 5k I'll take the much better manual vs this generation M2 and better interior as well. Sure the M will be faster but at that price it is pricing itself out of the market I would like to stay in. Although drop the brakes and seats and there is something to talk about. The maintenance cost of the brakes alone is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #1515
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
You're talking about a completely different wheel. I'm sure the offset it not the same as the 437M and with an MP coilover setup you can adjust the suspension. Apples/Oranges

Not saying you can't run wider tires. Maybe that works for some as they never have lots of passengers or heavy loads. Just saying I've seen some report rubbing under HEAVY CORNERING. If you're not doing any tracking then you'll probably be fine with the stock setup and wider tires.
This is getting off-topic now but the offests on 666m and 437m are identical.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #1516
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
THESE ARE GUESSES

I'm thinking 58,400.
I want manual, so i could save @3k vs DCT option
Sport seats 6500
C.C. Brakes 8500

I would add sport seat option and a carbon fiber roof from IND. Dinan intake/exhaust, carbon fiber bits
My calculated guesses=73,400 not including tax
Don't flame me, I'm just guessing, i didnt look up current sport seats or brakes pricing.
Brakes are not carbon ceramics. Also seats won’t be anywhere near that price. My guess they will be M4 comp seats, to get them you will need to also option new perforated leather. No merino leather like the M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #1517
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
C.C. Brakes
Adaptive suspension and ceramic brakes: looks like those are not gonna be made available for the M2 Competition.

If you want those, get an M3/M4.
      02-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #1518
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:
Unless the 6MT is the option/up-charge.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread