BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 6-speed @ MSRP...

05-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I was under the impression that almost 50% of M2s are stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
I believe somewhere BMW was quoted claiming a 20% take rate on the 6spd
But don't quote me on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
I remember reading someone else saying this too in one of the CS threads. I think what they mean by 20% is actually 20% of non-customer ordered cars were equipped with MT...maybe? Not sure if I have that right either.
See here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post21551615

In the CAR+ interview with BMW M about the M2 and M4 GTS (December 2015) the interviewer mentioned that manuals were expected to represent ± 40% of the M2 sales (source: here):
You'll be giving engine orders through either a six-speed manual, or, unlike the 1M, an optional dual-clutch gearbox; the latter likely to take 60% of sales.
In an interview with Digital Trends (January 2017) BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel disclosed that manuals represent ± 20% of the M2 sales, which he considers to be "a lot" (source: here):
Q: Do you think BMW M will continue to offer cars with manual transmissions ? How long term do you think that will remain an option ?
A: Well, there are two ways of looking at manual transmissions. One is the engineering standpoint, which says it doesn’t really make sense. Even though it is lighter, it is slower, and the automated gearboxes have a better fuel consumption. So from an engineering standpoint, it does not make real sense. On the other hand, there’s this emotional thing. We still have a relevant amount of people that are wanting to drive a manual, especially on M2, M3, M4, especially in the U.S., but also worldwide. On the M2 we have a worldwide take rate for manual transmissions of about 20 percent, which is a lot. As long as the demand is there, we will stick to the manual gearboxes. We see strong shifts in the demand for manual gearboxes. In the M3 and M4, it went down from generation to generation to where it is right now, between 15 and 20 percent. It used to be over 50. So it’s going down, but now it’s stable. In the M5 and M6 it went down to almost zero, so we had to take the manual out because there was no demand whatsoever. But the answer is that as long as there’s a strong demand for manual gearboxes, we will try and have them available in our cars.
      05-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Expectations for the new 911 GT3 6MT:
"It also gave chance to revisit discussion of the manual option with Andreas Preuninger. I start, cheekily, by reminding him that at the launch of the previous GT3 the PDK-only decision was pitched as a big improvement, largely on the basis of its faster lap times. "Well it is still faster on track," Preuninger says, "but lap times aren't everything, are they?" Preuninger stresses his ambition has always been to offer transmission choice - "like whether you take the ceramic brakes" - but limited development resources restricted what was possible. But he admits the PDK-only GT3 displeased some traditional buyers, with the huge popularity of the manual-only Cayman GT4 - and an increase in engineering resources - making the case. This was initially used in the 911 R, but the plan was always to spread the costs by offering it in the GT3 as well. Preuninger says he doesn't know how many people will opt for the manual - a zero-cost option tick in most territories - but reckons it could be as high as a third of production. "If it's less than 20 per cent then I'm in trouble," he admits."
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...l-review/36190
      05-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #25
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
The good news for DCT owners is in general the DCT in the M4 and M3 has been pretty reliable as far as I can tell so in theory you should be good........ Obviously everything fails at some point, but should get 200k+ miles out of it.... ? Crossing my fingers.

Honestly I am considering buying a manual M2 in the last year that they make them lol.
Appreciate 1
rkmjr101.00
      05-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I wonder if it would cheaper to replace it with a manual. It's like 15k for the DCT + labor.
if that's the price at 15K .. then the answer would be.. yes. it would be cheaper to source an entire manual trans, shifter, and the pedal box for the price of a new DCT.

On E46 cars, people are converting them to manual rather than replacing a regular auto trans... let alone an expen$ive auto trans like a DCT.

In my experience... the E46 M3 SMG made it nowhere near 200K.

Do you seriously think people are getting to that high mileage? have you seen a thread on this? I'm really rather curious.

I decided to post a thread in the E9x forums.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383377

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-10-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
if that's the price at 15K .. then the answer would be.. yes. it would be cheaper to source an entire manual trans, shifter, and the pedal box for the price of a new DCT.

On E46 cars, people are converting them to manual rather than replacing a regular auto trans... let alone an expen$ive auto trans like a DCT.

In my experience... the E46 M3 SMG made it nowhere near 200K.

Do you seriously think people are getting to that high mileage? have you seen a thread on this? I'm really rather curious.

I decided to post a thread in the E9x forums.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383377
200k miles? Perhaps I am being optimistic but in these threads below people are over 100k without issues. Some at like 140k, 160k etc. Guess we'll find out over time....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=894069&page=3
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=503610&page=4
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
200k miles? Perhaps I am being optimistic but in these threads below people are over 100k without issues. Some at like 140k, 160k etc. Guess we'll find out over time....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=894069&page=3
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=503610&page=4
thanks for the help I checked one of those and the highest so far is 122K...

To be honest though.. I would not EXPECT issues prior to 100K for any transmission.

I did find this tidbit of info for the E9x

" I've been quoted 13k for a DCT transmission replacement and 8k for a 6mt replacement. But... with 6mt, they can repair/replace parts instead of having to replace the entire transmission. Or at least that's what I was told by a SA. "

So there you go... DOUBLE the price for the DCT vs the 6 speed.

BMW gets you for 3-5K on the initial purchase.. then again for even MORE down the road..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
thanks for the help I checked one of those and the highest so far is 122K...

To be honest though.. I would not EXPECT issues prior to 100K for any transmission.

I did find this tidbit of info for the E9x

" I've been quoted 13k for a DCT transmission replacement and 8k for a 6mt replacement. But... with 6mt, they can repair/replace parts instead of having to replace the entire transmission. Or at least that's what I was told by a SA. "

So there you go... DOUBLE the price for the DCT vs the 6 speed.

BMW gets you for 3-5K on the initial purchase.. then again for even MORE down the road..

This person says 209k then they did some preventative work on the engine and transmission clutch.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1053

Last edited by akkando; 05-10-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
this car is not limited. you'll get one at msrp with a few phone calls.
Very unlikely, and if he did, it would be a DCT.

Most 6MT ones have been customer order, very few dealers will take a risk with a 6MT as it could sit on the lot and hurt future M2 allocations (the longer it takes to sell = less likely to get future allocations)
I spoke with the M brand manager at the NY Auto Show in April. He said the manual transmission M2 has a higher take rate than BMW expected. Somewhere around 40%.
      05-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #31
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:

Most 6MT ones have been customer order, very few dealers will take a risk with a 6MT as it could sit on the lot and hurt future M2 allocations (the longer it takes to sell = less likely to get future allocations)
I was under the impression that almost 50% of M2s are stick.

So why would the 6MT be a risk?
It is actually around 40% - this is info direct from the mouth of the BMW M brand manager in April.
      05-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #32
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
this car is not limited. you'll get one at msrp with a few phone calls.

I spoke with the M brand manager at the NY Auto Show in April. He said the manual transmission M2 has a higher take rate than BMW expected. Somewhere around 40%.
Yep this lines up with the data on another forum thread, which was a little closer to 50% but same conclusion. Keep in mind this is for North America only though.

Worldwide is about 20%, as said by the head of M on an interview which I think made the News section (Death of Manuals or something like that)
Appreciate 0