BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Anyone with experience retrofitting a Homelink mirror

06-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Anyone with experience retrofitting a Homelink mirror

I purchased an OEM Homelink mirror for the X1 for $50 on eBay. It's identical to my non-Homelink mirror as far as mount and connector, however installing I realized there are 4 pins in the Homelink mirror and only 2 wires in my existing connector. I get the alarm light blinking, but no compass and no action on the opener buttons.

I'm assuming I need some sort of retrofit harness at this point, but for the life of me can't find one stated as fitting this vehicle.

I know some of you have mentioned retrofitting, anybody run into the issue I'm up against?

Thanks for any help!

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

If anyone is interested, here's the fix:

I purchased part # 6821262-01. As far as I know pretty much any mirror from any late model BMW can work, the biggest concern is the mount. Make sure it's compatible to save yourself having to figure out a new one.

My original plug had two wires: one 12v powering the red alarm light, and one grounding it. The new mirror had four pins. The two missing are the 12v and ground for the autodim, homelink buttons and compass.

I purchased two of part # 61.13.0.005.197. These are pinned wires to be added to the connector and tapped into an existing 12v and ground.

I opted to splice into the rain sensor, for two reasons. It runs parallel to the mirror plug, and is 'semi-switched', in that it powers down once the car goes to sleep, about 15 min.

The rain sensor plug has three wires. You're concerned with the farthest left and right. The red wire is your 12v, the brown wire is your ground.

The 12v wire gets pinned in to #3 on your mirror plug, the ground gets pinned in to #10.

And that's it. Pretty simple. I paid $50 for the mirror on eBay and $8 for the wires from the dealer. Good to go.

Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50
      06-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
If anyone is interested, here's the fix:

I purchased part # 6821262-01. As far as I know pretty much any mirror from any late model BMW can work, the biggest concern is the mount. Make sure it's compatible to save yourself having to figure out a new one.

My original plug had two wires: one 12v powering the red alarm light, and one grounding it. The new mirror had four pins. The two missing are the 12v and ground for the autodim, homelink buttons and compass.

I purchased two of part # 61.13.0.005.197. These are pinned wires to be added to the connector and tapped into an existing 12v and ground.

I opted to splice into the rain sensor, for two reasons. It runs parallel to the mirror plug, and is 'semi-switched', in that it powers down once the car goes to sleep, about 15 min.

The rain sensor plug has three wires. You're concerned with the farthest left and right. The red wire is your 12v, the brown wire is your ground.

The 12v wire gets pinned in to #3 on your mirror plug, the ground gets pinned in to #10.

And that's it. Pretty simple. I paid $50 for the mirror on eBay and $8 for the wires from the dealer. Good to go.

Could you post the link for the mirror you purchased.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameer View Post
Could you post the link for the mirror you purchased.
Part # on the mirror itself is 6821262-01. Seller listed alternate part #'s as 8352945, 6821262 and E11026661. But as far as I know, almost any OEM BMW mirror can be used, you really just want to make sure it's compatible with your mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2020-B...M/174304443786
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Great research!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

BMW Homelink Mirror swap

I did the same thing. I purchased a BMW Homelink mirror with compass and alarm light & auto-dimming off EBAY. I had my dealer install it at a negotiated hourly rate. No muss, no fuss and it works great! They said that mine was plug and play and took only a few minutes to install. Go figure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I did the same thing. I purchased a BMW Homelink mirror with compass and alarm light & auto-dimming off EBAY. I had my dealer install it at a negotiated hourly rate. No muss, no fuss and it works great! They said that mine was plug and play and took only a few minutes to install. Go figure.
Awesome! Yeah, some cars will be prewired and some won't. If you have 4 (or more) wires going to the mirror, you're plug and play for a Homelink. If only two, you'll have to do something along the lines of what I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
tallguy09
Rep
Drives: X1 (2020)

Cool!
Just bought one on eBay (E11026661) for our 2020 X1, curious about the power, will add the 2 leads in case they are not there yet to power up homelink...
Don't need the compass...

Appreciate 1
JR_197973.00
      10-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy09 View Post
Cool!
Just bought one on eBay (E11026661) for our 2020 X1, curious about the power, will add the 2 leads in case they are not there yet to power up homelink...
Don't need the compass...
Cool! You can unplug your existing mirror without tearing the car apart. If you see more than 2 wires you should be good to go. Can't tell from the pics but I recommend buying a mirror that comes with a plug, and at least a few inches of wire. Just in case, for some reason, the plug is different from your existing mirror. This is more of a problem if you're using a mirror from a different make/model, but still a good precaution. Especially when there's mountains of these out there to choose from.

I've actually gone nuts with these things and put them in all our vehicles. On one I even used a standalone homelink module from a Land Rover console and mounted that under the dash.

Every car should have one!
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
tallguy09
Rep

Quote:
Cool! You can unplug your existing mirror without tearing the car apart. If you see more than 2 wires you should be good to go. Can't tell from the pics but I recommend buying a mirror that comes with a plug, and at least a few inches of wire. Just in case, for some reason, the plug is different from your existing mirror. This is more of a problem if you're using a mirror from a different make/model, but still a good precaution. Especially when there's mountains of these out there to choose from.

I've actually gone nuts with these things and put them in all our vehicles. On one I even used a standalone homelink module from a Land Rover console and mounted that under the dash.

Every car should have one!
I have no clue, I hope it will fit but the connector looks the same...not sure they would change that electrical connector...I looked at a few pictures and hoping I will be fine :-) Maybe have to add the 2 leads to the male connector and wire to power/ground...
As far as removing the existing mirror I think I have to pry open the cover and then turn the mirror to unmount?
Agree, these cars even if build in Germany/Netherlands should come standard with homelink mirrors....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have no clue, I hope it will fit but the connector looks the same...not sure they would change that electrical connector...I looked at a few pictures and hoping I will be fine :-) Maybe have to add the 2 leads to the male connector and wire to power/ground...
As far as removing the existing mirror I think I have to pry open the cover and then turn the mirror to unmount?
BMW to BMW, you should be fine. Just wanted to drop that in this thread for anyone reading in the future. Might save someone a headache.

'Pry' is a strong word haha. You have a left and right plastic cover that lock together, those just pull apart. I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I think there's a small torx screw securing the mount you will have to remove. And then, yes, gently twist the mirror and slide it down from the mount. Just don't be too aggressive with it, it will slide right off.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
tallguy09
Rep

Quote:
BMW to BMW, you should be fine. Just wanted to drop that in this thread for anyone reading in the future. Might save someone a headache.

'Pry' is a strong word haha. You have a left and right plastic cover that lock together, those just pull apart. I can't quite remember off the top of my head but I think there's a small torx screw securing the mount you will have to remove. And then, yes, gently twist the mirror and slide it down from the mount. Just don't be too aggressive with it, it will slide right off.
OK great, that reminds me of a VW, I cleaned the windshield and my elbow hit the mirror mount and to my astonishment a crack developed right across the windshield, oh well :-) I learnt my lesson...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK great, that reminds me of a VW, I cleaned the windshield and my elbow hit the mirror mount and to my astonishment a crack developed right across the windshield, oh well :-) I learnt my lesson...
You've got it, you'll be fine. It's a great upgrade for anyone who doesn't have one. Then you can go around doing everybody else's cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
tallguy09
Rep

Super easy install without any tools required on my 2020 X1.
Just pried apart the 2 piece plastic cover.
Then unclipped electrical plug.
Then applied some pressure on the mirror in downwards (parallel to windshield direction) towards dashboard and at the same time wiggled on the mirror stem a bit to make it slide out of the holder.
Our X1 had all 4 wires connected so the new mirror worked right away without any wiring modifications (new car so would not have been keen on touching the OEM wires...).

I like!
Appreciate 1
JR_197973.00
      10-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Super easy install without any tools required on my 2020 X1.
Just pried apart the 2 piece plastic cover.
Then unclipped electrical plug.
Then applied some pressure on the mirror in downwards (parallel to windshield direction) towards dashboard and at the same time wiggled on the mirror stem a bit to make it slide out of the holder.
Our X1 had all 4 wires connected so the new mirror worked right away without any wiring modifications (new car so would not have been keen on touching the OEM wires...).

I like!
Nice! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #16
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
I made the mistake of buying my f48 minus its auto dipping mirror does this new mirror auto dip as well as other things?
      10-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #17
tallguy09
Rep

Yes, it does that for me, did that already with my non-homelink mirror.
Just make sure to get a compatible part number as per this thread and check for the proper wires...
Mine came from eBay, from a 2019 vehicle, with compass...
Compared to using the Homelink clicker before and the risk of somebody braking into the car to open the garage door, this is a brilliant solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I would like to fit a auto dip mirror to my 2017 f48, first off how do you remove the existing mirror to investigate the wiring please?
      11-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #19
tallguy09
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtheted View Post
I would like to fit a auto dip mirror to my 2017 f48, first off how do you remove the existing mirror to investigate the wiring please?
Pry the two-piece cover open and put aside, then you can see the wiring, no need to remove the mirror...
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:59 AM   #20
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi thanks for this handy info it's something I have been contemplating fo a while, I note you say 12v pin 3 and ground pin 10, my original LED light supply uses pin 10 (brown), I see from your photo one of your new black wires is in pin 6 the far end from pin 10 the other in pin 3 am I wrong please?
      11-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #21
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtheted View Post
Hi thanks for this handy info it's something I have been contemplating fo a while, I note you say 12v pin 3 and ground pin 10, my original LED light supply uses pin 10 (brown), I see from your photo one of your new black wires is in pin 6 the far end from pin 10 the other in pin 3 am I wrong please?
My original mirror plug had:

Ground wire (brown): Pin 5
12v power (black): Pin 6

I added:

12v power : Pin 3
Ground wire : Pin 10

You have at least 2 wires to your existing mirror. Even if you didn't, for some unknown reason, or even if you do, my recommendation would be to purchase a mirror that comes with a plug, and a length of wires. These are plentiful. Most people who know what they're doing when removing these mirrors cut a length of wire extending from the plug and sell them complete. This way, you provide the correct connections and splice in. You don't even have to worry about what gets pinned where, it's all already done for you. Plus, you can use a Homelink from any car.

Some BMW owners would prefer to stick with BMW style mirrors, as they are unique from other manufacturers in style. Which is understandable. But I'd still recommend purchasing a mirror with a plug and length of wiring included.

Also, I don't know if I've discussed it in this forum, but do your homework on compatibility. Older openers need older homelink (pre-2010ish). Newer openers need newer homelink. A bridge can be had for about $30 that will allow older homelinks to communicate with newer openers. No such fix exists for newer homelinks and older openers. Homelink compatibility is provided on their site.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Would the mirror from any modern BMW with homelink work? I assume from a Countryman too?
Appreciate 0