BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Anyone with experience retrofitting a Homelink mirror

11-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #23
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Would the mirror from any modern BMW with homelink work? I assume from a Countryman too?
You can use a homelink mirror or module from any vehicle. The only issue will be the mount. I wouldn't be able to tell you what is or is not compatible with your mount, you'll have to figure it out.

I will say I have a homelink mirror from a Maxima installed in my Silverado and the mount was compatible. As far as I know there's 4 or 5 different types of mounts out there. As long as there's some decent pics of the mirror you're considering you should be able to determine if it will work.

Also, there's the issue of homelink compatibility, which I discussed higher up.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #24
tallguy09
Rep
Drives: X1 (2020)

Instructions here were fantastic, thanks so much.
If someone has trouble following through I would highly recommend to have the dealership take care of it.
This modification with HomeLink in the mirror and compass is well worth the effort I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #25
shmeek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335, X1

I've tried two different replacement mirrors with homelink and compass, and after splicing into the rain sensor, neither of the mirrors power up. I've verified I have 12v coming from my leads, and even bypassed the connector and plugged the female pins directly into the new mirrors.

With the car powered on (or even with Engine running), I do not get any LED light when pushing the Homelink buttons and the compass doesn't light up.

Any suggestions on what else I need to do or try?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #26
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeek View Post
I've tried two different replacement mirrors with homelink and compass, and after splicing into the rain sensor, neither of the mirrors power up. I've verified I have 12v coming from my leads, and even bypassed the connector and plugged the female pins directly into the new mirrors.

With the car powered on (or even with Engine running), I do not get any LED light when pushing the Homelink buttons and the compass doesn't light up.

Any suggestions on what else I need to do or try?
Being that you state you've verified you do indeed have 12v, and have not blown a fuse or anything else, the only thing you need is a true ground wire connected. Triple check you're connecting the ground properly. If this still doesn't work, create your own ground wire secured to metal on the roof.

These things are incredibly simple. 12v and ground, that's it. If you've confirmed your 12v is working and connected properly, ground is your only other concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #27
shmeek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335, X1

Isn't one of those leads coming from the rain sensor a ground? I mean, I have a complete circuit using the two rain sensor wires (as in the original post), the red and brown wires, that shows 12v on my voltmeter. What other ground would it be?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #28
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Isn't one of those leads coming from the rain sensor a ground? I mean, I have a complete circuit using the two rain sensor wires (as in the original post), the red and brown wires, that shows 12v on my voltmeter. What other ground would it be?
I'm assuming your existing homelink plug only has 2 wires running to it. The rain sensor plug has three wires. You're concerned with the farthest left and right. The red wire is your 12v, the brown wire is your ground. Follow the instructions I detailed earlier in this thread and you should be up and running.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...07&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #29
Zal
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2

JR_1979

Thank you for sharing this, I have 2020 BMW X2 and bought part 9345386 as the mount its the same and come with the socket for 4 wires however the correct number for my car is 267-10201

My car came with only 2 wires, So i bought the two of part # 61.13.0.005.197. These are the pinned wires to be added to the connector, however i ran into an issue getting this fitted and I also accidentally cut my rain sensor 12v and ground

My reading light now no longer work and also after wiring the mirror I get nothing on it, nothing power on it, nor compass

I wanted to ask if you ran into this issue, do you happen to know why the reading light won't work as well as the interior backlight, on the foot light working if I press on the middle button in the doom light, the left and right (reading light) as well as the center back one no longer work

Not sure if this is related to the sensor 3 pin cable or are connected in anyway? also do I need to calibrate my rain sensor at this point, I used butt connector to fix the 3 pin rain sensor cable and they are well connected now however my rain sensor randomly start on its own. I hope i dont go BMW dealer route especially since my car is still in warranty dont want them to blame it on anything that goes bad to the car going forward

Your help is highly appreciated, Thanks

Last edited by Zal; 12-30-2022 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 11:31 PM   #30
Zal
Rep

Quote:
shmeek

Did you ever got yours to work, mine does exactly the same, only alarm working, no compass or homelink
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:20 AM   #31
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
JR_1979

however i ran into an issue getting this fitted and I also accidentally cut my rain sensor 12v and ground
I don't completely understand what you've done, or what the issue is. If a wire was accidentally cut, it should be repaired. If it was intentionally cut, it should be spliced into the wire it was intended to be spliced into.

This really isn't a complicated thing. Your mirror needs a power wire and it needs a ground wire. I've shown you what wires on the rain sensor you can use to accomplish this.

If you don't understand the wiring requirements and are now experiencing other issues you aren't going to have the experience to resolve, my advice would be to just reconnect whatever wires you've cut and put everything back how it was before you started cutting and disconnecting things.
Appreciate 1
Zal3.00
      12-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #32
Zal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
I don't completely understand what you've done, or what the issue is. If a wire was accidentally cut, it should be repaired. If it was intentionally cut, it should be spliced into the wire it was intended to be spliced into.

This really isn't a complicated thing. Your mirror needs a power wire and it needs a ground wire. I've shown you what wires on the rain sensor you can use to accomplish this.

If you don't understand the wiring requirements and are now experiencing other issues you aren't going to have the experience to resolve, my advice would be to just reconnect whatever wires you've cut and put everything back how it was before you started cutting and disconnecting things.
Thank you, yeah i have wired everything like the tutorial but it didnt power on the rearview mirror, just alarm would work. Then i returned everything back like it was but my rain sensor and internal light no longer work now not sure what happened. I will schedule with BMW to check it

Thank you, if you dont mind what car(s) you have this installed in, any BMW X series 2020 and up? do you happen to know what fuse/relay responsible for internal light, I would check it as it can be as simple as a fuse that causing all this trouble, my fuse box doesnt give alot of details on each fuse goes to where and i dont want to mess around with so much stuff epecially seems my car is coded on everything
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #33
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, yeah i have wired everything like the tutorial but it didnt power on the rearview mirror, just alarm would work. Then i returned everything back like it was but my rain sensor and internal light no longer work now not sure what happened. I will schedule with BMW to check it

The year of the BMW has nothing to do with it. I've installed these mirrors on at least 5 different types of vehicles with no issues, and as you can see here, many others have as well. My money is that you blew a fuse somewhere during the installation process. Take a look at your fuse panels and I'm betting you're going to find one blown somewhere. Get that resolved and you can decide if you want to give the mirror another go now that you have a better understanding of it all.
Appreciate 1
Zal3.00
      01-12-2023, 09:07 AM   #34
Zal
Rep

Quote:
The year of the BMW has nothing to do with it. I've installed these mirrors on at least 5 different types of vehicles with no issues, and as you can see here, many others have as well. My money is that you blew a fuse somewhere during the installation process. Take a look at your fuse panels and I'm betting you're going to find one blown somewhere. Get that resolved and you can decide if you want to give the mirror another go now that you have a better understanding of it all.
JR_1979 Thank you for your support on this, I managed to get it to work finally and you were right it was a fuse causing all this problem

I just have one last question please, the compass on the mirror is always on even after i lock my car and the ambient light is off and the alarm red blinking, is this normal behavior for these mirrors? that the Homelink compass would stay on even after locking or i did do something wrong?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 10:13 AM   #35
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
JR_1979 Thank you for your support on this, I managed to get it to work finally and you were right it was a fuse causing all this problem

I just have one last question please, the compass on the mirror is always on even after i lock my car and the ambient light is off and the alarm red blinking, is this normal behavior for these mirrors? that the Homelink compass would stay on even after locking or i did do something wrong?

Thanks
You've tapped into a 12v constant. This was addressed in the original post:

"I opted to splice into the rain sensor, for two reasons. It runs parallel to the mirror plug, and is 'semi-switched', in that it powers down once the car goes to sleep, about 15 min.

The rain sensor plug has three wires. You're concerned with the farthest left and right. The red wire is your 12v, the brown wire is your ground."
Appreciate 1
Zal3.00
      01-12-2023, 12:12 PM   #36
Zal
Rep

Quote:
You've tapped into a 12v constant. This was addressed in the original post:

"I opted to splice into the rain sensor, for two reasons. It runs parallel to the mirror plug, and is 'semi-switched', in that it powers down once the car goes to sleep, about 15 min.

The rain sensor plug has three wires. You're concerned with the farthest left and right. The red wire is your 12v, the brown wire is your ground."
Thanks yes thats my setup, I kept monitoring it for a while seems it fixed itself, it was on for several minutes with the ambient light then the car computer shut it down i guess, I am all set at this point

Thank you so much for sharing this, this is something i wanted in my car since day 1 I had it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 05:01 PM   #37
Zal
Rep

Hi

I want to thank everyone here that made this installation easy and especially JR_1979 for the awesome instruction

I have a question please, I have homelink, compass and alarm working no problem however auto dimming is not working, I though its the mirror I bought from ebay eventough it has the front and back sensor and ending buying a new one however auto dimming still not working, want to ask if there is any extra wiring needed to get it to work or anything I need to reset to have this working?

I am also sharing my wiring here

View post on imgur.com

Your help is highly appreciated, I get blind at night from all these high beam cars

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #38
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I have a question please, I have homelink, compass and alarm working no problem however auto dimming is not working, I though its the mirror I bought from ebay eventough it has the front and back sensor and ending buying a new one however auto dimming still not working, want to ask if there is any extra wiring needed to get it to work or anything I need to reset to have this working?

Thanks
Good job getting it up and running. Regarding auto-dim, are you 100% sure the new mirror you purchased has an auto dim feature? Not all homelink mirrors do. I've installed a couple that did not have this function. If you determine the model you purchased does, test the autodim on/off button to make sure it is functioning properly. Default is 'on' when power is connected to the mirror.

If not, the only conclusion is that there is an issue with the mirror itself, being that you already have power/ground functioning correctly to the rest of the unit.
Appreciate 1
Zal3.00
      04-30-2023, 08:22 AM   #39
Zal
Rep

JR_1979

Thanks, The 2 model i tried with dont have on/off button but have auto dimming function as there is a front and back sensor, not sure if I need to code anything with bimmercode to enable it?

Gentex
026662 / 046662

Gentex
EC LED GTO Compass

Compass, homelink and Alarm working no problem, only auto-dimming

Do you mind sharing a mode number that has the same base that you installed with the on/off button, I will buy it if you are sure it has autodimming with compass, homelink and alarm?

Thanks

Last edited by Zal; 04-30-2023 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: adding a question to the reply
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #40
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
JR_1979

Thanks, The 2 model i tried with dont have on/off button but have auto dimming function as there is a front and back sensor, not sure if I need to code anything with bimmercode to enable it?

Gentex
026662 / 046662

Gentex
EC LED GTO Compass

Compass, homelink and Alarm working no problem, only auto-dimming

Do you mind sharing a mode number that has the same base that you installed with the on/off button, I will buy it if you are sure it has autodimming with compass, homelink and alarm?

Thanks
Let's make sure there are only two wires going into your mirror plug - 12v power and ground. If you have any other wires going into the mirror plug, depin them and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #41
Zal
Rep

JR_1979

If only 2 wires, the 12v going to pin 3 and ground going to 10, I get compass and homelink working but no autodimm

If you add the other 2 pin which is pin 5 ground and pin 6 12v, the alarm would work (blink if i remove and add the ground to simulate the blinking)

I appreciate your help and I am running out of Idea, I have in our Nissan Gentex with on/off button for the autodimm and retrofit was also 2 wire and all working great on it with homelink and everything, for BMW all the ones that match the base I have doesnt have on/off just auto dimming which I cant get it to work for some reason

Do you happen to know if I need to have the car on while testing? Or have the headlight on for the autodim to work? I can run several test across both, I also have the back windshield tinted dont know if this make any difference

Thanks

Zal
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:48 PM   #42
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
JR_1979

Do you happen to know if I need to have the car on while testing? Or have the headlight on for the autodim to work? I can run several test across both, I also have the back windshield tinted dont know if this make any difference

Thanks

Zal
I would definitely get the car out in daylight to test the autodim feature. Then try covering and uncovering the sensors to see if it's activating.

If you perform these tests and still find autodim isn't working, I would take the mirror and do a test straight from the battery. Power and ground. Cover the sensors, then shine a bright light at them. See if autodim is working there. If so, there must be something going on at the harness to the mirror that needs to be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #43
Zal
Rep

JR_1979

I found a video talking about the LINbus is the cause, also the compass and homelink can be directly wired from the 2 default cable that originally come with the car as its 12v and ground, I test it today directly when I unpinned it and it worked without having to tap into the sensor wires

Looks like the auto dim function is programming related, there is a video talking about it and showing a way around it which I will try, my last resort would be if you can share a model number that has the same base and the on/off button for the auto dim and still carry the homelink and compass would be amazing

I think if autodimm is working on yours likely the rain sensor ground is sending Linbus commands when its active and thats why it's working, but seems thats not the case on my car. I will continue testing

Thank you again for trying to help me with this

Last edited by Zal; 04-30-2023 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:19 AM   #44
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
JR_1979

Looks like the auto dim function is programming related, there is a video talking about it and showing a way around it which I will try
Sounds like a good thing to try and see if it gets it resolved for you. It seems you did a test straight from the battery and had autodim working properly? If that's the case, you don't need a different mirror, you just need to figure out what's going wrong at the mirror plug.

Try what the video's describing, hopefully that works. If not, it means there's a wire, most likely related to the gear selector, that's overriding the autodim.

Let me know what happens with the LINbus and how things end up. If you still haven't gotten things resolved, PM me with some pics of all the model info on the back of the mirror, as well as your vehicle info. I can try to find pinouts of the plugs and we'll try to get this all figured out.
Appreciate 0