BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Warranty expiring end of December - dilemma

11-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Warranty expiring end of December - dilemma

My car will be 3 years old at the end of the month. All being well, any warranty issues will be picked up on a warranty expiry inspection.
My dilemma is whether or not to buy a BMW warranty extension for £550 for another year’s cover.
My car has done 32,000 miles and so far the only issue has been an LED internal light.
Which magazine suggests I am better off putting money aside regularly rather than buying a warranty extension.
I would appreciate hearing of anyone’s experience of major failures and at what mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
callum_62
Rep
Drives: X1

I wouldnt extend the warranty at that price - call it £50PM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
My car will be 3 years old at the end of the month. All being well, any warranty issues will be picked up on a warranty expiry inspection.
My dilemma is whether or not to buy a BMW warranty extension for £550 for another year’s cover.
My car has done 32,000 miles and so far the only issue has been an LED internal light.
Which magazine suggests I am better off putting money aside regularly rather than buying a warranty extension.
I would appreciate hearing of anyone’s experience of major failures and at what mileage.
I am the most risk averse person aroud but even I decided to go without an extended warranty - my local indie assured me that he can do most things if required.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Tally100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i Sport Petrol

At £550 I won't be taking out a extended warranty, I will put it to any repairs I need
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Beemerbuster2
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 20D Xline

I took up the warranty option when my third year anniversary passed, it was the premium package no excess option for the £550.

Always a gamble, but if your going to stick with your main agent to do repairs etc then the £550 will cover just about four hours labour in any given 12monthly period plus I think I got MOT cover as well. I did first check with the workshop controller at my dealership and he suggested the premier package as it basically mirrored the normal first three years warranty.

Under that warranty I had front wishbones replaced and head unit replaced. Good idea would be to get some feedback from forum members as to what's failed with them and then cost these failures up.

As a check on the warranties cost versus paying myself, I did enquire after collecting my vehicle after one repair what cost I would have had to pay and was told £x, which was almost two thirds of the premium I had paid. Interestingly I discovered the warranty company only pay a % of this.

I didn't find the X1 the most reliable vehicle so for me the BMW warranty was a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #6
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Our X1 comes 3 years old in March 2021 and I will take out the BMW extended Warrantee and ES, need to look at prices / excess when I get quote.
On Tuesday of this week for the first time I had trouble with the car---the boot would not open,on the key ,the door release or the handle. I called BMW ES fully expecting to be told it was not a "breakdown"and book it in the dealer. They immediatly agreed to send technician out and he arrived 45 minutes later. He got the boot opended ,decided lock was faulty so (after lubricating it) ordered a new one and agreed a time on Thursday to call and fit it. This he did . I was very surprised the ES went this far.
I suggest just one simple repair like this will be approaching the annual cost of your extended warrantee. Each visit was about 45 minutes plus cost of part.
If I had gone to dealers I am sure the job would have taken longer,and again 2 visits as its not a stock part.

If deciding to go via using a good indi for future works its worth bearing in mind you have less chance of getting "Goodwill Gesture" than if you keep the service with the dealer network. Its worth noting that BMW service costs reduce when the car is 3 years old,and its 18,000 miles between services. Items like discs and pads I tend to do at home (using discounted BMW parts), although not done it yet with the electric handbrake. If needed that job can be done by a good indi , but some BMW dealers will now price match on those jobs that can readily be done by indi's

Last edited by Abh29; 11-28-2020 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerbuster2 View Post
I took up the warranty option when my third year anniversary passed, it was the premium package no excess option for the £550.

Always a gamble, but if your going to stick with your main agent to do repairs etc then the £550 will cover just about four hours labour in any given 12monthly period plus I think I got MOT cover as well. I did first check with the workshop controller at my dealership and he suggested the premier package as it basically mirrored the normal first three years warranty.

Under that warranty I had front wishbones replaced and head unit replaced. Good idea would be to get some feedback from forum members as to what's failed with them and then cost these failures up.

As a check on the warranties cost versus paying myself, I did enquire after collecting my vehicle after one repair what cost I would have had to pay and was told £x, which was almost two thirds of the premium I had paid. Interestingly I discovered the warranty company only pay a % of this.

I didn't find the X1 the most reliable vehicle so for me the BMW warranty was a no brainer.
That says it all. Being just 2 months old, I will not be needing it yet,but when it does I will be doing the same.
I took out the warranty on my 2013 F25 X3 xDrive 30d MSport some years ago. I did it for 2 years. When I sold the car, because I had not claimed, I got a pro-rata refund less a small admin fee.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-28-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #8
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I'm now into my fifth (and probably final) year of ownership of my 2016 X1. I took out the BMW warranty at the end of the factory 3-year one, at a cost of about £400 for the Comprehensive cover with a £100 excess. I did the same again this year. I haven't needed to use it thankfully, but I would dread the thought of something happening without that "insurance". When I do sell or hand back the car, I'll be looking to get the pro-rata refund on the warranty (minus the £25 admin fee). I've done about 33,000 trouble-free miles from new, with BMW main dealer servicing along the way, but there's always the chance that some (expensive) part could go wrong. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but the thought of being told the gearbox needs replacing, or the turbo has died, or some electronic sensor or controller has packed up and needs replacing worries me...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

My car is just over 4 years - just checked what the BMW warranty would be for a year - £675!!

Has anyone checked out the other third party warranty providers? I see Warranty Direct is about £380 for their top level (though I havent compared with BMW levels)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

My original 3-year warranty expires in 1 week and I will not be buying either BMW or 3rd-party extended warranty.

The BMW dealer originally offered various expensive extended warranty options that are mainly time-limited. Being retired and not driving much anymore, I don't think they are cost-effective for me. My car only has 22,500 km/14,000 mi in 3 years. I will still do scheduled maintenance which is not covered by warranties anyway.

I suggest taking into account how many km/mi per year you drive in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
bimmerman_X1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

I did extend the warranty and like clockwork, my shifting interlock stopped working. The extension has almost paid for itself lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
Tally100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i Sport Petrol

Well mines now out of manufacturer warranty soon and have been quoted £411 comprehensive £100 excess I think i'm going to go the way of taking the extended , I originally was going to save the money and pay for repairs but at £150 an hour plus parts it soon adds up.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally100 View Post
Well mines now out of manufacturer warranty soon and have been quoted £411 comprehensive £100 excess I think i'm going to go the way of taking the extended , I originally was going to save the money and pay for repairs but at £150 an hour plus parts it soon adds up.
That IMO is a good price and as you say £150 per hour soon gets soaked up. One visit to a dealer and parts soon goes past £511.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0