BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW Software Update - ECU Locked - Tuners Beware!

11-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

BMW Software Update - ECU Locked - Tuners Beware!

So, I just went in for a software update and as a result, tuning through the OBD is now locked. My tuner managed to do a Bench Flash by removing the ECU, so I'm all good!

This is just warning for all you out there who run a remap, it looks like any new update may lock out remapping through the OBD. This was only an issue for M Performance vehicles for a while but now it looks like the new updates are affecting everyone.

Update: If you're good with someone at the dealer, let them know you're tuned, updated versions of BMW's software now automatically sends data if it finds that you have modified software.
Source: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760825

Last edited by SDriver18i; 12-31-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      11-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Yup I got locked out as well. I’m driving an hour tomorrow morning to have my ECU unlocked at a tuning shop. I’m not even under warranty any longer, so that’s really annoying.

Update: the shop (Alex at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL was awesome) was able to unlock my ECU. I read my ECU and sent the files to Evolve, still unflashable via OBD, it seems another restriction is the cable used by many tuners. So luckily Alex was able to bench flash my stage 2 file back on the X1.

Cold start deleted and kept my O2 sensors enabled for when emissions comes around (big daddies garage mini cat cel adaptor)

Overall really happy with the service and timing of it all. Had it not been for the hiccup I would’ve been in and out in less than an hour. It was definitely worth the 60 mile drive each way.

Last edited by ventjock; 11-18-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
Had it not been for the hiccup I would’ve been in and out in less than an hour. It was definitely worth the 60 mile drive each way.
Yeah, I was surprised by this update. Got the update and went directly to the tuner and as he uploaded the file, it failed! Those pins are the ECU are so small too, never gonna update again.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Just curious, you went in for a software update as your vehicle is under warranty and they called you in for an update?

ZZzz
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Just curious, you went in for a software update as your vehicle is under warranty and they called you in for an update?

ZZzz
No, I was there with to test drive the new 5 series and I just asked them if there was anything to update with my car and they said HQ from germany did roll out a "General Update". I was like, sure, why not, I'll just reload my tune after but it was locked after that. I noticed a few changes in steering after the update. Sharper and lighter in comfort and much heavier in Sport.

Also, if you know someone there, please tell them if you are tuned, they are now flagging tuned software and any software modification is now sent automatically. The person I know updated it without scanning the car.

This might be worth a read.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760825
Appreciate 0