BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 customization

09-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

X1 customization

I own a new 2018 BMW X1 fully loaded. I did quite a bit of customization too. I added LED Fogs in the original housing. LED Turns in the front and back. The back ups were already LED as are the plate lights and backup lights. Interior are all LED too with Ambient lighting. I added a console box that looks OEM because somehow BMW thought it would look nice to have an exposed storage box under the armrest so now it's fully covered; I found it on ebay and it was very inexpensive and came with the openings for the USB port. I changed the amber turns in the front to LED too and had someone customize software programming for the turbos and options. With the newer Bimmers you can add options by software. So you actually tell the car that you're using LED's so that you don't need resistors etc. I exchanged an interior rear view that has homelink and a compass so that you don't need to drive around with a garage door opener. I found it on Ebay and it's actually a BMW OEM mirror. All most everything is software these days. So with an ODBII cable and a laptop and the software you can program features in to the car. So I have the full keyless entry / exit system. There are a few small lines on the door handle that when you touch these lines you can lock the door. Well mine also locks the doors and windows and sunroof and sunshade and hatch (if open) and finally the mirrors with a 5 second press with your finger. You can also use your hand to unlock the doors and unfold the mirrors and if you keep you hand there it will open the windows and sunroof to air the car. Or you can use the key fob too for both lock/unlock by pressing longer. I also added a color logo projector that shines at night under the 2 front doors with a BMW Performance where the door lights used to be. I added some features the color HUD and digital display and shortened the driver profile. Bimmers are very cool cars. I also bought aftermarket Niche 19" wheels and wider tires (245) for the summer. And I already had the premium sound system (not the HK) and installed tweeters with x overs and a powered sub in the trunk (boot) that has it's own remote with an EQ and x over with a wire that we ran from the trunk to that small secret compartment under the dash. The system is from Pioneer and made the sound system sound really good and clear. The woofers under the two front seats are now being used as lower mids. There's no point in changing the 3"drivers. They're too small to make a significant difference in sound quality. I recommend getting rid of the run-flat tires as they are crappy and expensive. I went with aftermarket 19" Niche wheels and wider tires (245) for the summer. I added an aerosol tire repair kit that comes with a rubber hose that attaches to your valve stem and has a chemical inside that seals the hole while it inflates the tire.
Customization is fun if that's what you like. I also reprogrammed the engine auto/on/off so that when I start the X1 it doesn't default to auto on/off. I also added a BMS Cold Air intake and coded the turbo to provide more HP and TQ. The changes were impressive. The car is sub six seconds now and while driving when you do the kickdown it passes a lot of cars and surprises a lot of other small SUV drivers and the smaller cars like Civics, Corollas, Kia's, Hyundai Elantra's, Jetta's and Golfs including GTI's. Surprising amount of pickup for such a big vehicle. I like driving it just as much as my sports cars. With the bigger wheels and wider tires with grip is handles like a charm. The whole key to getting the most out of this vehicle is to upgrade your wheels and tires and this improves the whole driving experience while the added power is a very noticeable plus and doesn't cost much to do. I also noticed another interesting option that this X1 came with. I have the metallic white paint and something called a paint protection and in winter when I hose it down the dirt doesn't stick to the paint and most of it comes off rather easily. If you take a soapy microfibre cloth it cleans the body with ease. On my earlier vehicles, I always had to use a wash glove and found it took a lot longer to get the dirt and grime off. If you have any small bits of grime or small dots, they come off with a bit of wax or Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer and a clean microfiber cloth. I noticed a few changes to the 2020 model and I'm not sure that I like them: The front fogs (replace the bulb with an LED and programmed the ECU for LED Bulbs) are now an LED strip at the bottom of the bumper. The bigger kidney grilles without the space in between. However the interior now has stitching on the dash and doors and a lot more ambient lights and the seats have contrast stitching with nicer optional seats.

Last edited by Xorbitman; 04-28-2020 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      09-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I'm curious what features you added to the HUD. I have been using bimmercode but didn't notice anything special, I might have missed it. Our cars had the homelink mirror already, didn't know that it was an option not to get it.. most likely it was because of all the other packages I got.. but if you had the HUD you must have had the technology package already?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

In the US, the homelink auto dimming mirror is part of the convenience package - one of the two major packages offered on X1. I chuckle every time when people talking about their "fully loaded" car missing a major package.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
analemma
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i Coupe, Glacier Silver

Could you clarify for me..
When installing the Homelink rear-view mirror, is it necessary to code the car?
For previous vehicles this has been a plug-and-play process. Is the X1 different?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
In the US, the homelink auto dimming mirror is part of the convenience package - one of the two major packages offered on X1. I chuckle every time when people talking about their "fully loaded" car missing a major package.
In Canada the packages are different than in the US. Our instrument cluster for example has French as a choice and also our speedometer is in KMS instead of MPH. You can laugh all you want but that's the simple truth. My vehicle was on a dealer lot and had been ordered that way from the factory. I suspect that the person doing the ordering didn't know his ass from his elbow because there were a few small things that were missing from this vehicle such as the remote seat release button for fold down the rear seats. The rear seats do have a recline position though. Since I never fold down the rear seats as my wife and I are empty nesters it doesn't bother me. But that auto-dimming rearview mirror was definitely a mistake by the dealer.

Last edited by Xorbitman; 04-29-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analemma View Post
Could you clarify for me..
When installing the Homelink rear-view mirror, is it necessary to code the car?
For previous vehicles this has been a plug-and-play process. Is the X1 different?
Thanks
No not at all. It's simply plug and play.
Appreciate 0