BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Development Car Needed - F48 X1 xDrive 28i - Dinan Exhaust

05-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #23
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
Unlike the F54 Clubman version, the X1 exhaust won’t have the option to remote-control the valve. You’ll have to live with the factory actuator to open up under certain conditions or leave it open at all times by modifying it. I was really looking forward to being able to turn up or down the volume with a button.
Whatttttt?! Really, is this confirmed?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Unlike the F54 Clubman version, the X1 exhaust won’t have the option to remote-control the valve. You’ll have to live with the factory actuator to open up under certain conditions or leave it open at all times by modifying it. I was really looking forward to being able to turn up or down the volume with a button.
Bimmerlink on iOS can open the exhaust. You will have to connect to the app everytime you start the car though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #25
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
Bimmerlink on iOS can open the exhaust. You will have to connect to the app everytime you start the car though.
I tried that a long time ago and it never actually did. But again, that’s annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #26
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
Whatttttt?! Really, is this confirmed?
Look on the Dinan IG page. There’s a post with an image of the backside of the X1, read the comments section.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look on the Dinan IG page. There’s a post with an image of the backside of the X1, read the comments section.
Just saw it and replied. That might be a deal breaker for me. I really wanted the option to go full open full close whenever I want. I am aware I can just unclip the connector or code it out (which resets everytime you shut off the car and would require constant obd2 dongle to be connected) but I want to be able to go quiet and loud with push of a button. Their arguement was it would add $300 to the cost... I am ok with that. Dinan, please include this as an option to the kit or just add it to the kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #28
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just saw it and replied. That might be a deal breaker for me. I really wanted the option to go full open full close whenever I want. I am aware I can just unclip the connector or code it out (which resets everytime you shut off the car and would require constant obd2 dongle to be connected) but I want to be able to go quiet and loud with push of a button. Their arguement was it would add $300 to the cost... I am ok with that. Dinan, please include this as an option to the kit or just add it to the kit.
I agree, if the Clubman and Countryman can have that option why not the X1? If they come out with a version for the ALL4 Clubman, then it should fit on the X1 with some additional piping.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #29
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
I tried that a long time ago and it never actually did. But again, that’s annoying.
It didn't work for me too a year or 2 ago. But I had tried it few months ago with kavatski suggestion to turn the timeout to No in the flap interface's setting
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
Just tried it again and on mine, in the settings for the exhaust flap in Bimmerlink, the timeout needs to be set to No. That way, it works. Otherwise, I get “Function not available”.
It worked after! It is annoying though, but it's pretty fast to connect at least. You just need to open the app, connect and you are done as the settings are remembered.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
I agree, if the Clubman and Countryman can have that option why not the X1? If they come out with a version for the ALL4 Clubman, then it should fit on the X1 with some additional piping.
We can offer a seperate user controlled valve option if the demand is there. Not a huge ordeal. It would not be included with the base kit though. No reason to increase the price and potentially lose out on folks that would have otherwise purchased the kit if it was cheaper.

Also lets be clear on the comparisons to the MINI.

The Countryman/Clubman S has NO valve AT ALL.
The Countryman/Clubman JCW have a valve and can be user controlled.

The system was originally developed for the MINI and the S in particular so that it had the same feature set as the JCW exhaust. Basically if you had an S you could get something better then its bigger brother with the same features. If the S had a valve I doubt we would have even incorporaed the keyfob. The X1 is basically the same as the JCW as it has a valve. The only difference is you dont have a method to manually control it unlike the M cars where you can control it easily through sport+ mode or an actual valve button like the M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #31
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I know everyone loves the coding options, which is certainly the right way to go about it... but on my e60 it was a solenoid that turned on/off. Why hasn't anyone looked to see if this was an option, and just simply wired a switch to pulse it on or off? I'm sure it wouldn't throw any errors since some people simply disconnect the switch...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #32
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
We can offer a seperate user controlled valve option if the demand is there. Not a huge ordeal
Awesome glad to hear. I will deff option mine with the valve.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #33
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hoping the X1 version is lower priced than the F54 version due to the lack of a remote controlled valve option. As previously stated it would cost ~$300, so one can assume that cost is built into the F54 version (currently priced at $1,100).

FYI I understand that cost is not the same as price.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hoping the X1 version is lower priced than the F54 version due to the lack of a remote controlled valve option. As previously stated it would cost ~$300, so one can assume that cost is built into the F54 version (currently priced at $1,100).

FYI I understand that cost is not the same as price.
Possibly slightly cheaper but there is also additional piping in the BMW system over the MINI system which eats up some of that delta. We shall see where the cost roll-ups shake out and price accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:08 AM   #35
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I know everyone loves the coding options, which is certainly the right way to go about it... but on my e60 it was a solenoid that turned on/off. Why hasn't anyone looked to see if this was an option, and just simply wired a switch to pulse it on or off? I'm sure it wouldn't throw any errors since some people simply disconnect the switch...
Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153928362229
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #36
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

That's definitely way nicer than what I was thinking with the remote. If you had all the same hardware/connectors and ran a wire to a physical switch. Although I'm not sure how much more the remotes added to the cost. You know what's nice is that on my m35i the flap is open the second I put it into sport mode...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #37
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
That's definitely way nicer than what I was thinking with the remote. If you had all the same hardware/connectors and ran a wire to a physical switch. Although I'm not sure how much more the remotes added to the cost. You know what's nice is that on my m35i the flap is open the second I put it into sport mode...
If only someone could figure out how to do that with the X1. I’m planning on getting a M340i in 2 yrs and I know it does the same as you described.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #38
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Quote:
Awesome glad to hear. I will deff option mine with the valve.
Count me in too. Do you know when you plan to release it, yet?
      05-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #39
Wrightspeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 M-Sport

I've had the exhaust for a few weeks now, it sounds so much better than stock! Here's a video:

I hope this can tide you over until Dinan puts a video out! I have little experience in the best way to record this, and I also live in a large city, so there aren't many opportunities to let it wide open for more than a few seconds at a time.

My X1 is a 2018 M-Sport. As you can tell from the first clip, only one of the pipes is open. In the driving clips, I am running in sport mode with manual shifting via the paddles.

I personally prefer the factory actuator- it's quiet when I've got the family in tow but can be mean when I throw it into sport mode. Curious to see what you guys think- I'm a fan. Happy that I was able to get my car to Dinan to try it out!
Appreciate 5
      05-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #40
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Super jealous dude lol. Cant wait to get mine, I plan on optioning it with their valve so I can decide when to open or close valve. Heres my ride begging for a nice exhaust...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also can you take some side profile pictures of the tips? kinda like my angle shot I have pictured above? Just curious how far they stick out. I am hoping they sit more flush.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #42
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dinan, can you confirm that valves open in sport mode? I was under the impression the factory valve only opens on full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #43
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan, can you confirm that valves open in sport mode? I was under the impression the factory valve only opens on full throttle.
Quote:
Also can you take some side profile pictures of the tips? kinda like my angle shot I have pictured above? Just curious how far they stick out. I am hoping they sit more flush.
Tips are clamp on so you can adjust where you want them. The car here is just adjusted to where we would recommend them— so the Dinan logo is just peaking out from the bumper/diffuser when cold.

Quote:
On the X1 it does not automatically open in sport mode. Didn't have a whole lot of time to play around with it and work our exact nature of it but it would appear to be RPM driven and doesn't open til it hits ~3k RPM.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #44
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

When is the release date, unless I missed the memo?