BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Thoughts on the new BMW X2?

03-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
bmw4life1239
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Talking Thoughts on the new BMW X2?

The bmw logo's on the side are to show everyone it's actually a BMW
Other than that I like the fact that it doesn't have that coupe line so it's more spacious in the back than for example the X4 or the X6.

Last edited by bmw4life1239; 03-13-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I don't hate the final production example. It is certainly not as striking as the concept.

What I DO hate are the underpinnings. It is such a shame that BMW decided to rebadge a MINI Cooper rather than engineering a proper AWD BMW like this thing should have been. I'm sure they'll fool a lot of people and sell boat loads of them, and it's unfortunate that's all BMW cares about with the X2. It's basically BMW's version of high fructose corn syrup.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1762.00
      03-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

video is of the M8 not the X2
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
bmw4life1239
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I don't hate the final production example. It is certainly not as striking as the concept.

What I DO hate are the underpinnings. It is such a shame that BMW decided to rebadge a MINI Cooper rather than engineering a proper AWD BMW like this thing should have been. I'm sure they'll fool a lot of people and sell boat loads of them, and it's unfortunate that's all BMW cares about with the X2. It's basically BMW's version of high fructose corn syrup.
Honestly I kind of agree with you. However, I first expected a to see a smaller X4. Seeing that they gave it a design on its own was a nice surprise.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
bmw4life1239
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
video is of the M8 not the X2
Yes I had that video open in another tab and pasted the wrong url. I was watching multiple videos haha
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

Looks as though the X2 will go up against the front transverse mounted Jaguar E-Pace and similar Volvo XC40. In the price range with compact SUV’s it pretty much has to be front wheel drive. ‘CAR’ magazine thought the euro market 3-Series wagon would be a better dynamic choice.
There are some great handling front wheel drive cars, don’t know if the X2 is one but if Mercedes does fwd
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

I was really hoping I would like it, but I really don't. The rearview mirror serves as a constant reminder that this is really a Mini in a BMW costume. (Or maybe a Kia costume?)

I wish they had continued the X1/X2 based on the E84/E90 platform.

My next car will be another brand. My loyalty to BMW is ending with my '14 X1. I love the car, and the RWD-biased, hydraulic steering, sport seats. But unless they ditch the Mini underpinnings, I'm finished.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:34 AM   #8
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:

Just stop it with the "rebadge" nonsense. Of course the UKL platform was always meant for both BMW and Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
I was really hoping I would like it, but I really don't. The rearview mirror serves as a constant reminder that this is really a Mini in a BMW costume. (Or maybe a Kia costume?)
More nonsense. The BMW F20 had that shape of rearview mirror long before the Mini got it.

Last edited by Weiman; 03-15-2018 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
Just stop it with the "rebadge" nonsense. Of course the UKL platform was always meant for both BMW and Mini.

More nonsense. The BMW F20 had that shape of rearview mirror long before the Mini got it.
The F20 was never brought to the states. Though my thoughts apply to that too. A transverse-mounted engine is not a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
The F20 was never brought to the states.
Well the F22 2-series then, same thing.

Quote:
Though my thoughts apply to that too. A transverse-mounted engine is not a BMW...
Not sure what you mean. F20 is RWD, basically a shrunken F30.
And it's BMW who decide what a BMW is, not you or me..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
Agreed, I’m tired of this misinformation. UKL is BMW design. The fact that they’re also applying to Minis doesn’t cheapen it.

Last edited by jmhumr; 03-18-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Well here are some actual thoughts.
1. It's crazy expensive. Dealer cars here in Sweden (mostly 20d xDrive) cost like an M2. Fully loaded, but still.
2. The sports seats feel flat and nowhere near as good as in the 1/2 series.
3. Otherwise, the interior is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
srswans
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Manual BG

X2 v E-Pace v XC40

Test drove X2 yesterday against its closest competitors. I was surprised but I really liked the X2 ride, handling and seats. Doesn't feel like an SUV; more like a sport sedan.

I drove the E-Pace second (base model) and the ride was truck-like; only took me about a mile to cross it off of my wish list. The seats were rock hard, unsupportive and too wide. However, the engine was sweet sounding and pulled nicely. Jaguar as relegated too many controls, such as seat heaters, to the touchscreen - dangerous IMHO.

Last test drive was in the XC40. It's the tallest of the three. Ride was much smoother than the E-Pace but too soft for me. Seats were excellent though - slightly better than the X2. Engine well-matched to chassis.

I like the X2 the best and I could see owning one. However, its a little underpowered for my tastes. I'll reconsider it if BMW produces a higher horsepower version

I thank all three of these manufacturers for producing an up-scale, four-door vehicle that will fit in my garage.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 01:56 AM   #14
Quixalcoatl
Rep
Drives: Owner-to-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
Test drove X2 yesterday against its closest competitors. I was surprised but I really liked the X2 ride, handling and seats. Doesn't feel like an SUV; more like a sport sedan.

Last test drive was in the XC40. It's the tallest of the three. Ride was much smoother than the E-Pace but too soft for me. Seats were excellent though - slightly better than the X2. Engine well-matched to chassis.

I like the X2 the best and I could see owning one. However, its a little underpowered for my tastes. I'll reconsider it if BMW produces a higher horsepower version.
I just ordered my M Sport X2 [US] last night. I drove pretty much every car in the same class save for the E-Pace. I agree the XC40 was too soft. It had too much body roll, and typical to the minimalist Swedish aesthetic, it lacked character on the interior. I also found the interface to be clumsy and confusing. And, the engine cutoff feature had a much greater lag than the one featured on the X2. I actually had to turn it off on the test drive because it was so annoying.

The wife and I also test drove the Lincoln MKC, Mercedes GLA, Mazda CX5, and BMW X1 and X3. While the MKC was the most 'luxe' and the GLA was the sportiest, we found the X2 to have the best balance of space, responsiveness, HP:Weight, and features we were looking for. Not to mention, it has to be one of the sexiest cars in the small crossover SUV class. I personally don't find it underpowered, considering most entry level vehicles in this class range between 130 - 186 HP for 3200-4000 lb. vehicles. That's just crazy IMHO. The 228 HP engine seemed more than adequate for freeway merging and spirited commutes, which is what it'll mostly be used for.

My big gripe, probably along with many others, is the "xDrive" badge on the X1 and X2. For our order, we opted for the sDrive version. It griped me that the xDrive is marketed as and AWD vehicle, but it's largely glossed over, unless you ask or do your research, that the typical commuter will never benefit from this feature in the X1 or X2 due to the transverse engine design and the 100% FWD bias. I personally don't have a problem with FWD for a commuter, as this car will never see the track. However, I do have a problem with deceptive marketing and sales practices.

Something else I'd like to note, is that this class of vehicle is all over the place. On one end you have Honda's HR-V which has crap tons of space, but absolutely zero get up and go. (It deserves 160 HP minimum. 200 would be far more acceptable.) On the other end you have something like Mercedes' AMG GLA with a ton of pep and effectively no more space than what you'd get in a small compact like a Mazda3. I think that car manufactures are a bit confused on what the market expects from this class of vehicle, and that's why this class seems so schizophrenic from brand to brand. I feel that the BMW not only found a balance between performance and utility with the X2, but I think they're going to set the standard for this class of small crossover.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixalcoatl View Post
I just ordered my M Sport X2 [US] last night. I drove pretty much every car in the same class save for the E-Pace. I agree the XC40 was too soft. It had too much body roll, and typical to the minimalist Swedish aesthetic, it lacked character on the interior. I also found the interface to be clumsy and confusing. And, the engine cutoff feature had a much greater lag than the one featured on the X2. I actually had to turn it off on the test drive because it was so annoying.

The wife and I also test drove the Lincoln MKC, Mercedes GLA, Mazda CX5, and BMW X1 and X3. While the MKC was the most 'luxe' and the GLA was the sportiest, we found the X2 to have the best balance of space, responsiveness, HP:Weight, and features we were looking for. Not to mention, it has to be one of the sexiest cars in the small crossover SUV class. I personally don't find it underpowered, considering most entry level vehicles in this class range between 130 - 186 HP for 3200-4000 lb. vehicles. That's just crazy IMHO. The 228 HP engine seemed more than adequate for freeway merging and spirited commutes, which is what it'll mostly be used for.

My big gripe, probably along with many others, is the "xDrive" badge on the X1 and X2. For our order, we opted for the sDrive version. It griped me that the xDrive is marketed as and AWD vehicle, but it's largely glossed over, unless you ask or do your research, that the typical commuter will never benefit from this feature in the X1 or X2 due to the transverse engine design and the 100% FWD bias. I personally don't have a problem with FWD for a commuter, as this car will never see the track. However, I do have a problem with deceptive marketing and sales practices.

Something else I'd like to note, is that this class of vehicle is all over the place. On one end you have Honda's HR-V which has crap tons of space, but absolutely zero get up and go. (It deserves 160 HP minimum. 200 would be far more acceptable.) On the other end you have something like Mercedes' AMG GLA with a ton of pep and effectively no more space than what you'd get in a small compact like a Mazda3. I think that car manufactures are a bit confused on what the market expects from this class of vehicle, and that's why this class seems so schizophrenic from brand to brand. I feel that the BMW not only found a balance between performance and utility with the X2, but I think they're going to set the standard for this class of small crossover.
Thanks for the detailed review! I haven't test driven an X2, but I agree from a practicality vs. sport standpoint, it seems to have the best ratio out there. I currently have an X1, but have earmarked the X2 as something I might exchange it for in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
Jolan_24
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 G30/18 X2

X2 Orange Sunset XDrive

We got ours on Monday. We went to test drive X1 and X3, but we liked the X2 more. I drove it all week and it was a lot of fun. I test drove a Q5 and GLC300, but preferred the X2. I wanted to try the XC40 R-Design, but they wouldn't discount a penny and I wouldn't consider MSRP not even for an M2.
The wife chose the color and I'm starting to like it more than the boring white cars that I had. I highly recommend the car, even though it has a single USB outlet, windows small in the back, bike doesn't fit unless I remove front tire, and not as powerful as our G30, it's still a joy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
eleniki68.00
      04-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
I'm really surprised at the amount of hate for the X2. IMO, it looks a lot better than the X1 and it also handles better. (I've driven both.) I find the X1 to be kind of boring and frumpy looking. Compared to the GLA and Q3, it's a solid choice in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
Quixalcoatl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolan_24 View Post
We got ours on Monday. We went to test drive X1 and X3, but we liked the X2 more. I drove it all week and it was a lot of fun. I test drove a Q5 and GLC300, but preferred the X2. I wanted to try the XC40 R-Design, but they wouldn't discount a penny and I wouldn't consider MSRP not even for an M2.
The wife chose the color and I'm starting to like it more than the boring white cars that I had. I highly recommend the car, even though it has a single USB outlet, windows small in the back, bike doesn't fit unless I remove front tire, and not as powerful as our G30, it's still a joy.
Congrats on your purchase! The Sunset Orange looks great with the AZ backdrop. I have to wait 6-8 weeks for my Galvanic Gold X2 to come from Germany. There wasn't a single X2 in the continental US that had the DHP that I or the dealer could find. So, we opted to special order ours and drop a few features we didn't care for.

How is yours optioned, if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Jolan_24
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 G30/18 X2

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! The Sunset Orange looks great with the AZ backdrop. I have to wait 6-8 weeks for my Galvanic Gold X2 to come from Germany. There wasn't a single X2 in the continental US that had the DHP that I or the dealer could find. So, we opted to special order ours and drop a few features we didn't care for.

We didn't have many choices with options since we chose a floor model. It has Sunset Orange metallic/Oyster Dakota leather/Premium/M SportX/20" M wheels/SiriusXM/Msport suspension/Park distance control/Apple Carplay/ M rear spoiler. I wanted Harmon Kardon sound system and DAP, but made a compromise with the artist wife who loved the color. I liked the galvanic gold they had and I think it would be a very unique car too. I hope you enjoy your car when it arrives. We built a 540i last year which had everything we wanted including the B&W sound system (audio nuts here). We love both cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
Quixalcoatl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolan_24 View Post
Quote:

We didn't have many choices with options since we chose a floor model. It has Sunset Orange metallic/Oyster Dakota leather/Premium/M SportX/20" M wheels/SiriusXM/Msport suspension/Park distance control/Apple Carplay/ M rear spoiler. I wanted Harmon Kardon sound system and DAP, but made a compromise with the artist wife who loved the color. I liked the galvanic gold they had and I think it would be a very unique car too. I hope you enjoy your car when it arrives. We built a 540i last year which had everything we wanted including the B&W sound system (audio nuts here). We love both cars.
[/QUOTE]

That's the whole reason I tested the CX40, you can get the premium audio as a stand-alone option. We ordered one because the options locally were all or nothing. Sadly, we went without the audio system too. Not wanting the drivers assistance package, it didn't make much sense to have the premium features. So, at least we got 99% of what we wanted, which isn't bad.

Congrats again. The pic of your X2 has me thinking about where I want to snap a pic of mine when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #21
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

i've read many reviews, watched many video reviews - and quite frankly, i feel a bit confused. some find it as a joke from BMW, others like it. i plan a test drive before eventual purchase of an X2.

i read that the thick rear pillars are huge problem. Can't decide between the 25d(231hp) and the 20i(190hp) engines.
(here's the info i am looking at 1 and 2)

Accepting recommendations now. Thnx in advance!
      04-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleniki View Post
i've read many reviews, watched many video reviews - and quite frankly, i feel a bit confused. some find it as a joke from BMW, others like it. i plan a test drive before eventual purchase of an X2.

i read that the thick rear pillars are huge problem. Can't decide between the 25d(231hp) and the 20i(190hp) engines.
(here's the info i am looking at 1 and 2)

Accepting recommendations now. Thnx in advance!
First, you should ignore the haters. Subjective / religious opinions are just that. The reviews on the X2 are good. If you like the look of the X2 and you're okay with it being a bit smaller than the X1, then the only negative is that it's a bit more expensive than the X1. Oh well.

I've driven both X1 and X2. (I got to autocross an X2.) The X2 handles substantially better, which it should because it's shorter, lower and has more performance oriented suspension. You should drive both and then make up your mind.

As for horsepower, more is always better. (If more is better, then too much is just right.)
Appreciate 0