BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 pads and discs. Just 37K Km?

04-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #23
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Anyone have any good recommendations for pad and rotor manufacturers?
      04-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #24
Xplorer1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive 20d

My X1 has just 15000 miles on the odo and the idrive already shows front brake pad change within the next 2200miles (3600 kms).

Was shocked to see this as we have 2 more cars at home and none of the cars that we've owned so far had to get their brake pads changed before 23000 miles.

I'm from India and yes the driving conditions are tougher with pothole ridden roads in some places, real curvy ones in other, coupled with unruly traffic which means brakes will have a higher wear rate. But the X1 brake pads has fallen short by almost 7000 miles compared to the other cars that we have at home.

This is my first BMW so I'm not that well versed with how the brake pad wear indication works on bimmers. Is this wear indication just a software calculation based on driving patterns (like range)? Will there be another warning triggered to show it's time to change the pads?

Since service support in my locality is a very questionable one I'm looking forward to after market options. Are the Brembo brake pads any good? And wherever I search I also find repair kit included in addition to the brake pads. I guess this is the pad sensor. Isn't it mandatory to change the pad wear sensors too?

Too many questions but this is my first bimmer so I'm an absolute newbie. It would be very helpful if someone could point some light on the aftermarket alternatives and the things to take care off with the brake pad change. I'm pretty satisfied with the stock brake performance (adequate for Indian driving conditions) so not looking for enhanced braking performance, but don't want to get ripped off at the authorised BMW dealer either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #25
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

The indicator light on dash is based on wear sensor on the front brake pad. Once you reach the sensor and it gets worn down, the light comes on at a specified thickness. It's best practice to change the sensor whenever it's triggered as I dont know how to get rid of the dash light and annoying warnings without replacing it. The sensor is an easy way of monitoring pad thickness without absolutely having to visually inspect it.

You can also replace the sensor and just zip tie it on a bracket instead of installing onto the inner pad. This will avoid dash lights in the future but you'll need to visually keep an eye on pad wear as you'll be bypassing the stock monitoring feature. I personally installed it properly for peace of mine and the sensor itself isn't terribly expensive, especially if you DIY this service item.

Once the initial warning light comes on, the pad is still good for at least a few hundred more miles. It just gives you an early indication to change the pads soon. The indicator light will go from orange to red as you exceed the recommended maximum mileage without performing the service. Even if you go past the maximum mileage, the brake pads won't immediately fail on you, it just increases the sense of urgency to get it done.

I've also had premature brake pad wear on both my front and rear brake pads at 31k and 25k, respectively.

Not sure if you have access to Akebono pads in India, but I went with Akebonos on the front and BMW for the rear. I would've done Akebonos on both axles but they weren't in stock when I had to do rear pads.

Akebonos have been solid for me. Very similar performance as BMW branded pads with no excessive noise and less dusting too.

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 04-28-2020 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 01:14 AM   #26
Xplorer1
Rep

Thanks Skyline2.0. Really helpful insights. After a quick search online it seems like Akebono pads aren't available in India. Brands available include Brembo, Textar, ABS, Blue Print, TRW, Remsa etc.

Out of these the only brand I've heard about is infact just Brembo. Any reviews or feedbacks available on any of these brands? India is still locked down due to Covid 19 so can't gather much info on these from anywhere else either.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #27
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer1 View Post
Thanks Skyline2.0. Really helpful insights. After a quick search online it seems like Akebono pads aren't available in India. Brands available include Brembo, Textar, ABS, Blue Print, TRW, Remsa etc.

Out of these the only brand I've heard about is infact just Brembo. Any reviews or feedbacks available on any of these brands? India is still locked down due to Covid 19 so can't gather much info on these from anywhere else either.
I've only heard of Textar, which is also carried by a reputable BMW parts online supplier that I buy from. Textar is also one of BMW's OEM parts maker. With the choices you have, I go with Brembo or Textar. But that's not to say the other brands are no good.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #28
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Textar is an OEM for BMW. My E92 was delivered with those pads.
      05-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #29
Xplorer1
Rep

Thanks Skyline2.0 & jgalaxy. I visited our usual service centre and he informed Brembo, Textar & TRW are available. I will be replacing the pads before reaching the limits prescribed by idrive.

He was also of the opinion that he may be able to reuse the sensor if the pads are changed before the final warning. But he wasn't sure about it and will have to inquire with the mechanic about the same. I didn't understand what he meant. Like in the F30 you actually have a pad wear indication on the idrive from the beginning of the ownership. But in the X1, atleast in India, pad life isn't shown on the idrive until it reaches this critical threshold value. Will there be another warning? I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #30
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Skyline2.0 & jgalaxy. I visited our usual service centre and he informed Brembo, Textar & TRW are available. I will be replacing the pads before reaching the limits prescribed by idrive.

He was also of the opinion that he may be able to reuse the sensor if the pads are changed before the final warning. But he wasn't sure about it and will have to inquire with the mechanic about the same. I didn't understand what he meant. Like in the F30 you actually have a pad wear indication on the idrive from the beginning of the ownership. But in the X1, atleast in India, pad life isn't shown on the idrive until it reaches this critical threshold value. Will there be another warning? I'm not sure.
If the sensor tripped the warning it will need to be replaced. Its a fairly inexpensive item in comparison to pads and is part of the cars security features. Hopefully you can find something for under Rs 700. You'll need 1 for front and 1 for rear.
      08-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #31
Xplorer1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
If the sensor tripped the warning it will need to be replaced. Its a fairly inexpensive item in comparison to pads and is part of the cars security features. Hopefully you can find something for under Rs 700. You'll need 1 for front and 1 for rear.
Thanks jgalaxy for your valuable inputs & very sorry for the late reply. Haven't used the car much in the past few months as India is yet to get to the peak of Covid 19 and we are having localized lockdowns in most places. Mainly using our second vehicle for now.

I drive still shows 2800kms for the pads to be changed. I will be changing the sensors too like you've advised and it doesn't seem expensive either. Will be going for Brembo / Textar and will visit the service centre as the no. of cases starts settling down. Covid 19 has disrupted almost each n every aspect of life including cars. Brake disc already shows few concentric circles on them in the form of scoring marks so I guess I may have to skim the discs too when I go in for the pad change.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #32
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

We bought a CPO 2016 X1 and the warning light came on a month after we bought it. We had 27K on the car. Our BMW dealer immediately took it in and replaced the pads without cost to me. Now my 2018 340 which is my DD has 35K and is still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #33
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
We bought a CPO 2016 X1 and the warning light came on a month after we bought it. We had 27K on the car. Our BMW dealer immediately took it in and replaced the pads without cost to me. Now my 2018 340 which is my DD has 35K and is still going strong.
Yup. I dont know whats up with the X1 pads. My wife got 27K Km last time. I'm trying Textar this go around and will see what happens.
      08-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #34
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks jgalaxy for your valuable inputs & very sorry for the late reply. Haven't used the car much in the past few months as India is yet to get to the peak of Covid 19 and we are having localized lockdowns in most places. Mainly using our second vehicle for now.

I drive still shows 2800kms for the pads to be changed. I will be changing the sensors too like you've advised and it doesn't seem expensive either. Will be going for Brembo / Textar and will visit the service centre as the no. of cases starts settling down. Covid 19 has disrupted almost each n every aspect of life including cars. Brake disc already shows few concentric circles on them in the form of scoring marks so I guess I may have to skim the discs too when I go in for the pad change.
Quote:
Quote:

Are you getting it changed locally or through BMW? How much have they quoted?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #35
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

my 17 X1 has 20K miles and rotors started to rust because I don't drive much!

I remember E9x series rotors are due around 100K KM or miles - I guess they scientifically generate all parts to lease those vehicles then they fall apart after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #36
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorrad46 View Post
my 17 X1 has 20K miles and rotors started to rust because I don't drive much!

I remember E9x series rotors are due around 100K KM or miles - I guess they scientifically generate all parts to lease those vehicles then they fall apart after 3 years.
Funny, but would be consistent with my experience with our X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #37
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Looks like my dang front brake message just came on "continue journey at a moderate speed. Brake pads need to be replaced. Have brake pads checked by service". I'm currently at 42,000 miles.

What type of brake pads do you guys prefer that are available here in the United States?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #38
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

If you want to elongate the life of your brakes for the X1, turn off DTC completely before you drive in dry condition. The car's DTC system seems to be quite aggressive in braking one side of the wheel in turning. Since the car is front wheel drive centric, you shouldn't run into too much problem without DTC. If it's a sDrive, you might run into torque steer with DTC out. Just go easy on the gas.

*edited thanks to ttimbo's corretion

Last edited by lonegun; 08-24-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #39
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

I don't drive my car hard at all. I only drove it in sport mode probably 10 times in the past 2 years. It's never parked on a hill as well, if that matters.

The only reason I'm looking to change the pads out is because that annoying message won't turn off unless I change the sensor, right? My indie guy quoted me at $460 for front pads, sensor and labor....seem fair?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #40
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
I don't drive my car hard at all. I only drove it in sport mode probably 10 times in the past 2 years. It's never parked on a hill as well, if that matters.

The only reason I'm looking to change the pads out is because that annoying message won't turn off unless I change the sensor, right? My indie guy quoted me at $460 for front pads, sensor and labor....seem fair?
Heck no that's not fair.

For a set of pads and sensors $100 from fcp euro. They shouldn't charge you more than an hour shop charge (let's say $100/hr)..also why don't we round it up to two hours labor to be generous.. and you're still under $300. Are you sure they aren't adding in rotors perhaps? That could at least make the price better.. a brake fluid flush? If it's just pads, that's really a horrible deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #41
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post

I would just buy the set from Amazon and bring them to your trusted mechanic. You can save a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #42
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

Okay, it sounds like I will be buying the pads and sensor online and bringing them in!

Has anyone put these Akebono pads on their car? (https://www.carid.com/2018-bmw-x1-br...182110881.html) They are only $62 for the front.

Brake Sensor - (https://www.carid.com/nrs-brakes/fro...&url=103300545) $14
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #43
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

They are great, and dusts less too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #44
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

Called another local shop around here in Nashville, he said it would be $239.08 in labor to change the front pads/sensor and it would be the same for the rear. I'm going to assume that's pretty fair, right? Probably 2 hours of shop labor at $115 an hour.
Appreciate 0