BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 - 6 Month Review - Drive, Power, Programming, Tuning, Aftermarket

09-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #23
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Glad you like the car, but you lost me at, "the steering in sport mode is closer to a 2016-2018 M2 in sport mode."

No, it isn't. Lol. The steering feel is identical to the X1. I've driven both back to back and also own a M2. There is no planet on which a X2 has steering feel similar to the M2. To be fair, the M2 isn't exactly amazing to begin with. However, the X2 isn't even in the same discussion. Even a standard 230i has a better steering setup than the X2.

Last edited by M2audioman; 09-12-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2018 - xdrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post
Glad you like the car, but you lost me at, "the steering in sport mode is closer to a 2016-2018 M2 in sport mode."

No, it isn't. Lol. The steering feel is identical to the X1. I've driven both back to back and also own a M2. There is no planet on which a X2 has steering feel similar to the M2. To be fair, the M2 isn't exactly amazing to begin with. However, the X2 isn't even in the same discussion. Even a standard 230i has a better steering setup than the X2.
Hi, to give more clarification when driving the X2 in sport mode stiffened up the steering while still providing as much feedback as I got from driving the M2. I'm not saying it is exactly like it, but it is the closest I've gotten to it without having to buy an M2.

I did another back to back test with a 240i and the steering was ultra light, dull and bland. It's like I lost connection with what was actually going on with the wheels to the road. This is exactly how I felt when driving the X1. It was super muted even in sport mode.. it just wasn't fun and engaging.

All in all I've test driven an 240i, 340i, 440i, X1, X2, X3, X4, and an M2. To compare that steering feel is around the 340i and M2. I'm not saying they handle like those cars do but come the closest in feel (Sport mode)

If I'm not making any sense and that you got a different feel for it I'm all ears. I'd love to get additional information and I'm glad that you're an M2 owner as well. It was my top pick, but I couldn't justify the price tag at the time and I fell in love with how that car drove and made me feel. There is still thoughts of trading up to an M2 at a later date still. What are your thoughts on it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #25
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:

Quote:

I too own an M2 and recently drove the X2 at BMW's Ultimate Driving Experience on their autocross tracks. I liked a LOT of things about the X2 and would absolutely recommend one to someone who is in the market for a small SUV that looks great inside and out, has a decent amount of power and handles well for what it is. However, the steering feel is nothing like the M2 in my opinion, just completely different cars.

That said, great review otherwise and beautiful car...love Misano Blue.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
cangenBMW
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Your X2 is quite unique in Canada and I can tell you a bit about why you haven't seen any others like it.

I work as an SA at a Canadian dealership. Your X2 is what's known as an "HEA" model. They are cars that are pre-specified by BMW Canada as the first of any new model sent to dealerships. They are often specified in a way that you wouldn't be able to order through normal production.

Yours is exactly this. BMW only officially offers the "xLine" and "M Sport X" trim levels in Canada. However, a few of the HEA models were specified by BMW Canada in a configuration identical to yours, with the "M Sport" trim level that's not officially offered here.

I am hoping that BMW Canada will reconsider offering the "M Sport" (Non X) trim level in Canada, as I find it is a much cleaner look than the M Sport X or xLine models with their black/silver plastic trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #27
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueX2 View Post
I've had my oil changed by a local BMW mechanic and was surprised to see a new model car come in so early. Now as per my free scheduled maintenance intervals with BMW they wanted me to come in at 10,000 KM for service on the new car. Now call me old school, but I decided I wanted to know more about my car and not take that chance with such a late maintenance window for my oil and swapped out the oil at 5000 km. I also took a sample and sent it off to Blackstone Labs to see what is actually going on with the engine and I'll go with their recommendation on intervals and to see if there are any odd metal shavings or contaminants that I should be aware of. Listed below is what they said for the comments on the car.

"Congrats on the new BMW! Wear metals tested a bit high in this sample, but that's to be expected for the first sample out of a new engine. The metals come from wear-in and the silicon is from sealers. Look for lot of improvement as this material washes out of the engine over the next few oil changes. The viscosity tested in the 5W/20 range, and no fuel dilution, water, or coolant was present. The TBN read 2.8, showing a bit of active additive left (a reading of 1.0 or less is low). Our averages are based on 9,200 km. Try up to 7,000 km for next time."

The image below are the full details from the oil sample I sent in. If anyone wants to tell me something about this more so than what Blackstone Labs told me I'm all ears.

I get oil for my M3 tested by blackstone and I will for my X2 when I change it (which will be soon). I'm not clear how many kms were on your X2 when you picked it up. It may be that the the oil has high wear metals because of break-in, but some of them seem pretty high. Here is a link from Blackstone for interpreting the results. The one value that jumps out at me is the copper. Normally, copper is an internal layer within bearings. On E46 M3 engines (S54), copper without lead means the rod bearings are badly worn. The top layer is lead / tin. Not saying that's the same on the B46 engine, but it's odd. Blackstone does say that copper can come from oil coolers. Maybe that's the case. For you, I would recommend a short oil change interval and another test. This will give you a chance to see if the wear metals drop due to flushing out metal from break-in.
Appreciate 1
BlueX230.00
      09-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #28
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I've never driven an M2, but I have an M3, so I don't have to wonder if the X2 and M2 have similar steering feel. I doubt it.

However, I don't agree with your comparison of the X1 and X2. While they do share the same platform and steering rack, the X2 has shorter front and rear overhangs, a lower roofline, lower ride height, different (stiffer) springs and lower profile tires than the X1. I've driven both and they handle quite differently. Your comment that the X1 and X2 steering is identical is no more valid than the comment that the X2 and M2 steer the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #29
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Nice write-up. Now I want one even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #30
userbbc
Rep
Drives: a car

BlueX2
looking to go aftermarket wheels with non-run flats so trying to find a spare tire for the x2.
did you ever source a spare wheel for yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #31
Eqwoot
Rep
Drives: X2

Because of your review I bought the X2.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:00 AM   #32
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Hi BlueX2. Great car, and great write up. Glad you managed to get it with the body-coloured grey bits. I've ordered my M Sport which comes with body-coloured bits as well. Luckily down-under we get the choice.

anyway, was wondering whether you had a list of 'code-able' items for the X2? Like you mentioned disabling the disclaimer, remembering the last setting for auto start/stop, etc.

cheers

S
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #33
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Thanks to your post I got the stuff to code my m35i yesterday and did it in the parking lot while my daughter had her guitar lesson.

I got quite the scare when the ecu controlling stop/start rebooted and had like 15 errors pop up but they cleared...whew. I thought wow, this was a bad idea potentially bricking my car in a parking lot!!

The trunk close with remote didn’t work but disclaimer is gone, stop start memory engaged and I put the m start screen on.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #34
Eqwoot
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Thanks to your post I got the stuff to code my m35i yesterday and did it in the parking lot while my daughter had her guitar lesson.

I got quite the scare when the ecu controlling stop/start rebooted and had like 15 errors pop up but they cleared...whew. I thought wow, this was a bad idea potentially bricking my car in a parking lot!!

The trunk close with remote didn’t work but disclaimer is gone, stop start memory engaged and I put the m start screen on.
Try keep pressing the button, you can set the delay when the button to react.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #35
brucex42018
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4-2018

torn between X2 and X4

I have owned several bmw's (325xi and two X3's) and now find myself torn between a "new" X2 & a "used" X4 ... for about the same $.

my primary concern with the X2 is the front-drive bias and torque steer.

Can anyone comment on this ?
Also i need to really check the cargo space to see how 2-sets of golf clubs would fit.

Also I really like the shifter in the X4 better

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #36
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I have not had torque steer issues in the m35i but one review said it was a problem in the wet. Again, I have not seen it and I used to drive the king of torque steer, a Ford Taurus SHO.

I also drove an x1 for 3 years and it never showed any signs either. It was also x drive.

As for the clubs, no clue.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #37
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucex42018 View Post
I have owned several bmw's (325xi and two X3's) and now find myself torn between a "new" X2 & a "used" X4 ... for about the same $.

my primary concern with the X2 is the front-drive bias and torque steer.

Can anyone comment on this ?
Also i need to really check the cargo space to see how 2-sets of golf clubs would fit.

Also I really like the shifter in the X4 better

thanks!
I have an E46 M3 and an X2. The M3 has lots of mods including a 4.10 rear diff, so the back end is quite "talkative". Even coming from my M3, I'm very happy with my X2. Obviously I can't light up the rear tires of the X2 going around a corner, but I don't feel constantly reminded that it's a FWD/AWD vehicle. I don't notice torque steer, either, but then again, I don't drive the X2 to get my RWD fix.

If you have driven the X2, you should have already noticed this. If you haven't driven the X2, you should. That would be a good time to do a fit check of your golf bags. Are you wondering if they will fit with the seat down or up? With it down, there should be lots of room. Not sure if it's up.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #38
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangenBMW View Post
Your X2 is quite unique in Canada and I can tell you a bit about why you haven't seen any others like it.

I work as an SA at a Canadian dealership. Your X2 is what's known as an "HEA" model. They are cars that are pre-specified by BMW Canada as the first of any new model sent to dealerships. They are often specified in a way that you wouldn't be able to order through normal production.

Yours is exactly this. BMW only officially offers the "xLine" and "M Sport X" trim levels in Canada. However, a few of the HEA models were specified by BMW Canada in a configuration identical to yours, with the "M Sport" trim level that's not officially offered here.

I am hoping that BMW Canada will reconsider offering the "M Sport" (Non X) trim level in Canada, as I find it is a much cleaner look than the M Sport X or xLine models with their black/silver plastic trim.
The X2 in Misano Blue is a beautiful vehicle, enough to make me buy one. Mine has the ugly gray cladding, so it would be interesting to see if the MSport/HEA/Non-X pieces are available from the dealer parts counter in body color. That plus the rear valance and roof in either gloss black or a CF wrap would make this into a really stunning car. The wheels are meh, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what aftermarket wheels other X2 owners go with.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #39
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

A great review, thank you for sharing. I am totally sold on the colour and your car looks amazing with the 20” wheels. I can fully understand why people are scratching their heads and asking which model it is.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-12-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0