BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) questions on x1 from a potential future owner

01-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #23
Laurent T
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
It's necessary for all those bicycles

Just on the adaptive settings, my understanding is that when this is fitted, the damping in the Comfort /Normal setting is pretty much unchanged from that of the standard (non-adaptive) suspension; it is just in Sports mode that the damping is more firm. That's how it works in my F20, so on the X1, with it's ride issues, I expect to leave the damping Comfort, although I'll be glad to use the stiffer damping when I need to press on.

My point is, I would not spec adaptive suspension if you think it will give you a better ride in the Comfort / Normal setting. Based on my F20, that is not the case.
That's also my understanding, adaptive damping won't help to get better comfort, just better body control.
As far as testing my target configuration, I wish I could, but the panel of available car for tests is quite narrow...
The big deal for me is that I would move from a car maker whose philosophy
is comfort above driving feel to a car maker with opposite approach. So far, it's OK for me... might be less OK for my wife and the kids and that's the big question mark regarding our decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #24
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

If I learned one thing from 1 series and even 3 series, a car for a family must be softer. That is why I took 17" non run flat and I enjoy it!
99% of use everyone drives in comfort mode and when I want sporty ride I turn into sport mode and that is the moment when my X1 changes into a firm suspension but that is the time when I drive alone in the car, when overtaking or similar.
I really don't understand a philosophy of 19" wheels in a SUV ( except the looks) , but it is your money who am I to tell you...

My X1 is not comfortable like VW passat on 16" wheels which I drive often, it is softer than my 1 series e87, but when I switch to sport mode it gets pretty similar like e87 on 16" wheels and that level of road handling is by my opinion superb for a SUV like this.

You must know also that sitting on back seats is even firmer than on front seats. The same case is in 1 series also.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #25
Laurent T
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly View Post
If I learned one thing from 1 series and even 3 series, a car for a family must be softer. That is why I took 17" non run flat and I enjoy it!
99% of use everyone drives in comfort mode and when I want sporty ride I turn into sport mode and that is the moment when my X1 changes into a firm suspension but that is the time when I drive alone in the car, when overtaking or similar.
I really don't understand a philosophy of 19" wheels in a SUV ( except the looks) , but it is your money who am I to tell you...

My X1 is not comfortable like VW passat on 16" wheels which I drive often, it is softer than my 1 series e87, but when I switch to sport mode it gets pretty similar like e87 on 16" wheels and that level of road handling is by my opinion superb for a SUV like this.

You must know also that sitting on back seats is even firmer than on front seats. The same case is in 1 series also.
I guess the look above all is a reason to go for bigger wheels... Will consider the option of 17" though as comfort is important for my wife. I think you have manual transmission on your car : what's your opinion on the gearchange and clutch ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #26
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

Sorry, no manual transmission here. I took automatic and it is great! I drove manual test car and it seemed very precise, in moments even too sharp and I didn't like that in that moment, although probably it is one of the best manual transmissions.
I would recommend automatic transmission, it is expensive,
around 2 500,00 eur extra but that was a must for me in X1 although I never drove automatic before
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Haha Ttimbo, you are right about the bicycles..

The weird part is that if u want a sport-mode with adaptive suspension, then u are always driving with the hard suspension (which was to hard with 18" for me)

But with the Non-adaptive, u can benefit from sport-mode without the hard suspension and still take a nice corner
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmm View Post
The weird part is that if u want a sport-mode with adaptive suspension, then u are always driving with the hard suspension (which was to hard with 18" for me)
I too find this incredibly annoying. I have DDC and stiffer suspension in Sport mode + 18" RFT is just ridiculously crashy on UK roads.

Really wish Drive Modes and Dynamic Damping where fully and independently customisable. Not bundled together with default presets. I just don't understand why I can't have soft suspension with sharp throttle response and longer gear changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #29
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep

The first step to softer ride would be to deflate your tires a little. Not too much, just a little to feel the difference
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly View Post
The first step to softer ride would be to deflate your tires a little. Not too much, just a little to feel the difference
If you have RFTs, this really won't make much of a difference due to the steel in the sidewalls and will only cause them to wear unevenly faster than they already do.
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0