BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Stock market tips and experiences

09-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #3653
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

AAPL anyone?...avg price 410.00....BBRY the only loser at 10.50....FB,DDD and TSLA still doing very well.

ROWR, have you capitulated yet on that AAPL short?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3654
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
Go search up a chart of what happens after FOMC meetings. I wouldn't be trying to go long here by any means.

These aren't your current positions are they? I thought you were out of most of these long ago.

Bought them all back...sold after first wave of rise...then bought all back before the last run up...you gotta stick with the winners during bull mkts

When the true bear comes, I will hold no long positions except inv etf's and actual short positions.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3655
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I think inv. ETF's would be the way to go over put or short call options. Since I believe the Russell will show the first signs of weakness, I'll go long its Inverse ETF which is SRTY.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #3656
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

and down goes BBRY for the count.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #3657
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Alright stock market gurus, when is the bear market coming??

I've been hearing some doomsday pundits saying that the sky is going to fall as soon as the fed announces the beginning of the taper. Obviously none of us are fortunetellers, but do you guys in the know have an educated guess?

I've got individual stock accounts, but what I'm really concerned about is avoiding large losses in my 401k and kids 529's. They have the usual mix of mutual funds, some mm and bonds scattered in. My 401k is up something like 25% this year, so I'm not concerned about missing out on some gains if my timing is wrong, just looking to be as educated as possible before pulling the trigger.

So when is the bear market coming and where do I put my money? MM, bonds, stable value fund?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3658
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero
When is the pullback coming? Im not an expert on that. Id expect sometime in mid 2014. Bernanke seems to be very scared of a recession so I dont think well see a taper until our economy is completely out of the recession (mostly in regards to unemployment).

As far as your concern with your personal accounts, no one can tell you where to put your money without knowing more of your situation. There is a big difference between your kids being 3 years old or 15 years old. There is a big difference between you being 27 years old or 55 years old. Everyone has a different time horizon, risk tolerance, and a different set of financial goals.

If your 401k is up 25% this year, youre probably investing very aggressive (pure guess). The S&P 500 is only up about 21%. Bonds and emerging markets have gotten hammered this year so you probably have quite a bit of aggressive domestic growth and/or value funds in your portfolio.

I approach investing with the mindset of caring very little about returns. Its similar to going to Vegas. Everyone wants to tell you about how they won $5000 at the slots, but no one wants to tell you that they lost $10k the time before. Its all about what you walk away with at the end for me. You may be up 25% this year and down 15% next year, but your walk away point is when your kids go to college and/or when you retire. Im up 30% YTD and 79% over the past 104 weeks. At this point, those are just numbers. They're fun to talk about, but I cant touch that money (without penalty) for another 40 years so theyre insignificant. Im somewhat bearish over the next year so I changed my asset allocation to reflect a more conservative risk tolerance. However, I also upped my contribution percent at the same time. I may miss out a bit on another bullish run, but my account is growing at the rate I want it to.my ultimate goal.

Short answer: if anyone tells you where to put your money or how to invest it without knowing your situation, theyre damn fools. A 25 year old can generally afford to invest much more aggressively than an 80 year old taking retirement income. Consequently, their portfolios will look completely different.
Thanks for your input. I am in much the same boat as you regarding not being able to able to touch the money without penalty for just under 40 years. The 529 plans also have over 15 years to grow.

My main concern is the way "experts" have been talking lately, like the Feds withdrawal from the bond market is going to send the economy into calamitous free fall. There's no way to time the market perfectly, but like everyone I'm going to give it a shot.

It sounds like reallocating towards a less aggressive mix is in order.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #3659
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Thoughts on where gold is headed?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #3660
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
AAPL anyone?...avg price 410.00....BBRY the only loser at 10.50....FB,DDD and TSLA still doing very well.

ROWR, have you capitulated yet on that AAPL short?
I already told you last time I was out before it made its first initial run to 460. At that point, there wasn't too much downside for me to win on the short. If you look close, there's a double top @ aug 19 and sep 9. Still not too much downside even if it ends up going down. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #3661
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
I already told you last time I was out before it made its first initial run to 460. At that point, there wasn't too much downside for me to win on the short. If you look close, there's a double top @ aug 19 and sep 9. Still not too much downside even if it ends up going down. We shall see.
I started coming back here a few months ago, and the only thing that keeps me coming back is this thread. It is hilarious. Throwing buzzwords and terms around. But I also know that people like to learn/be corrected.

First off, that double top is immensely weak at best. Basically, it just isn't a double top. Go back a few months and look for the clearly defined double bottom. That is what they look like. What you are seeing is news/event driven reactions, not trends. Don't skew your outlook by narrowing your time frame of reference. If you expand it to 2 years you will see something different. I'd post charts, but I'm not losing my job just to correct some dude on the internet.

If you want to chart and/or do technical analysis, then use as much data as you deem relevant. And since you or anyone in here doesn't seem like an intra-day swing trader, think in months and years rather than days and weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #3662
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn View Post
I started coming back here a few months ago, and the only thing that keeps me coming back is this thread. It is hilarious. Throwing buzzwords and terms around. But I also know that people like to learn/be corrected.

First off, that double top is immensely weak at best. Basically, it just isn't a double top. Go back a few months and look for the clearly defined double bottom. That is what they look like. What you are seeing is news/event driven reactions, not trends. Don't skew your outlook by narrowing your time frame of reference. If you expand it to 2 years you will see something different. I'd post charts, but I'm not losing my job just to correct some dude on the internet.

If you want to chart and/or do technical analysis, then use as much data as you deem relevant. And since you or anyone in here doesn't seem like an intra-day swing trader, think in months and years rather than days and weeks.
I'm well aware of the statistics of said top. I noticed the dates because it's such a short time span, thus making it a lot more useless than if you were to see the same trend on wider time frame. Do I see the double bottom? Of course I do. There's a reason why I don't have a position. Just stating what I see on the short term. Gotta love people that talk the talk but don't like to contribute.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #3663
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Any thoughts on the upcoming weeks? I think the markets will rally Monday and Tuesday but drop the remainder of the week.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #3664
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
I'm well aware of the statistics of said top. I noticed the dates because it's such a short time span, thus making it a lot more useless than if you were to see the same trend on wider time frame. Do I see the double bottom? Of course I do. There's a reason why I don't have a position. Just stating what I see on the short term. Gotta love people that talk the talk but don't like to contribute.
What's your reason for not having a position?

My job makes it so that I cannot contribute. I was trying to give you some guidance on forming more effective analyses.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #3665
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn View Post
What's your reason for not having a position?

My job makes it so that I cannot contribute. I was trying to give you some guidance on forming more effective analyses.
Because I don't trade purely off of TA. I also don't like AAPL and don't play the upside unless I see a short term swing in which case I'll make an option play. I had been bearish on Apple since 600 and I rode it all the way down to 300. Thanks for your insight though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #3666
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
http://news.msn.com/us/tesla-stock-t...s-catches-fire

Tough break. Opportunity to buy on a pull-back??
      10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3667
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

stock price has to deal with supply and demand of the stock and nothing else...fundamentals?...lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #3668
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
stock price has to deal with supply and demand of the stock and nothing else...fundamentals?...lol.
Do you think we'll see a dip in two or so weeks with the whole debt ceiling debacle? It looks like Congress can't come to an agreement on anything, so we might miss the deadline and see a sharp dip in indices.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #3669
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

we're at IT inflection point...we either reverse back up right now or selloff significantly...if we dont reverse course then something has changed.

I have been hedged with TVIX for 1.5 weeks now...strange how TVIX wasnt selling off even when mkt going up for the day....hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #3670
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

either way, the conservative types shouldnt even be in this mkt anymore...either we go up and make weaker new highs or the selloff has started....either way, its a traders mkt now and conservative types if they have had big gains over the past 5 years should be grateful and get to the sidelines imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #3671
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

I've rid of almost 90% of my long holdings and whatever I have left has a 3% stop. The market hasn't had a decent correction in a while, and the first one will be major.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #3672
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I've rid of almost 90% of my long holdings and whatever I have left has a 3% stop. The market hasn't had a decent correction in a while, and the first one will be major.

Yup, when true selloff happens it will happen hard and fast...many wont have alot of time to react...by the time people realize what is going on, 1/3rd to 1/2 the selloff might be over already.

Trying to catch this last top probably not worth it.

Sold all my long last week. Only holding AAPL and TVIX now. And you cant hold TVIX too long due to time decay.

We should see a bounce within next day or two.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #3673
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup, when true selloff happens it will happen hard and fast...many wont have alot of time to react...by the time people realize what is going on, 1/3rd to 1/2 the selloff might be over already.

Trying to catch this last top probably not worth it.

Sold all my long last week. Only holding AAPL and TVIX now. And you cant hold TVIX too long due to time decay.

We should see a bounce within next day or two.
If you think there's gonna be a bounce within a day or two, why hold TVIX now?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #3674
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you think there's gonna be a bounce within a day or two, why hold TVIX now?
Unloaded yesterday so not holding....did anyone say bounce few days ago?.....
Appreciate 0