BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Electric razors

04-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I've tried a few electrics over the years. They do fine.

What I did find though was that the shaver wasn't as important as the prep work. All those ads you see on TV, meh. Cost per work really isn't us there.
http://www.shavesecret.com/
That is what I found best for me, for the money. It doesn't seem like it would do anything. But trust me, shave oil is by far the best thing you can do. And it's cheap.

But I haven't actually used a razor/shaver in over 10 years now. I'm pretty lazy.
+1 on the shave secret. I've been using it for years. Keeps the irritation down.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Got the Braun 7 today. Charging now. Test shave to follow.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
King Rudi13152.00
      04-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #25
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I've used a 7 series and it was "ok." You still have to go back over spots which causes irritation and it gets close enough of a cut that ingrown hairs become a concern, especially on your neck area. All these issues made it impossible to use without waiting at least 2-3 days in between shaves.

Believe it or not, I've been using a cheap Philips Norelco OneBlade since it came out with great results. No, it does not get as close a razor or a "nicer" Braun for that matter, but there's zero irritation no matter how many times you go over an area and no ingrown hairs either. It can also be used wet or dry. Using it multiple days in a row has proven to cause zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #26
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
+1 on the shave secret. I've been using it for years. Keeps the irritation down.
Same here. My beard is as stiff as a wire brush. This stuff works wonders.
      04-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

First shave of 3 day stubble went fine. I did have to go over most areas twice and getting close around my goatee isn't easy, but no irritation. Pretty smooth shave.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #28
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

2020 Porsche 911 doubles as an electric razor or so the rumour goes.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Rmtt8206.00
M_Six16541.00
RickFLM410880.50
GenXer1351.00
Dang3r12503.00
      04-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #29
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I love my Braun shaver especially the one that washes itself. You still have to replace the blade at least once or twice a year or it will start pulling you facial hair instead of cutting them. My only issue is what the hell do I do with the cleaning solution cartridge when it's empty? Seems like an awful lot of waste.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #30
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
My only issue is what the hell do I do with the cleaning solution cartridge when it's empty? Seems like an awful lot of waste.
Did you ever look at that skanky solution by the time the red light comes on?! I had no trouble dumping it down the drain and slipping in a new cartridge and replacing it with a fresh clean batch

I replaced my Braun series 9 with a Phillips Norelco 9000 series. They’re both worked well for when I don’t feel like using a blade, but I prefer the 3 heads. The cleaning solution for the Braun smells way cleaner and sterile than the one for the Norelco. The Norelco looks sort of like a sex toy when it’s in the charger. It took me a while to get used to that
      04-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #31
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Did you ever look at that skanky solution by the time the red light comes on?! I had no trouble dumping it down the drain and slipping in a new cartridge and replacing it with a fresh clean batch

I replaced my Braun series 9 with a Phillips Norelco 9000 series. They’re both worked well for when I don’t feel like using a blade, but I prefer the 3 heads. The cleaning solution for the Braun smells way cleaner and sterile than the one for the Norelco. The Norelco looks sort of like a sex toy when it’s in the charger. It took me a while to get used to that
I do the same as you but assumed he was talking about the plastic. I suppose you can put it in the recycle bin (where it probably ends up in the trash anyway), but there isn’t much else except throw it away. I suppose they could sell the fluid and let people refill but I’d probably opt to just getting it the way it is.
wrickem2101.00
      04-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #32
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I do the same as you but assumed he was talking about the plastic. I suppose you can put it in the recycle bin (where it probably ends up in the trash anyway), but there isn’t much else except throw it away. I suppose they could sell the fluid and let people refill but I’d probably opt to just getting it the way it is.
From the country of clever engineers and frugal people, you would think they can make a washable filter and refillable cleaning solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
From the country of clever engineers and frugal people, you would think they can make a washable filter and refillable cleaning solution.
I'm fine with the way it is now. I don't want Braun to over complicate things just to solve a small problem. Look at some of the over engineering BMW has done on their cars. Just a needless expensive repair waiting to happen in the future.

My friend was telling me about his experience with a Bosch refrigerator. Of course it had the famous German over engineering to the point that the engineers felt things could never fail in this product. Well, it did. There was some board that failed on his refrigerator. A repair guy was dispatched and he had to cut an opening on the back of the refrigerator to access the part.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Found this through google search - pretty sure there must be others:

https://shavercheck.com/braun-ccr-alternative/

(I’ll stick with the replacement cartridges.)
      04-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #35
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm fine with watches, phones, laptops and small consumer electronics be overly complicated. The majority of the time, they work great and if they don't we can just throw them away like we do with our K-Cups. It's more difficult to throw a refrigerator in the garbage can.
Appreciate 0