BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing 1-2

02-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Although you cant read too much into any of the numbers, I am sure glad that we are seeing Williams running out there with times consistently lower then their quali times last year. Good on them, hopefully we can see them in the midfield mix again.
Seriously. Bottas was on the podium for Williams in 2016. From a podium to 1 point by dumb luck for all of 2019.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Seriously. Bottas was on the podium for Williams in 2016. From a podium to 1 point by dumb luck for all of 2019.
I recently watched podcast where Matthew Carter (Team Principal of Louts for a few years) suggested that Williams success back in 2014-2016 was largely dependent on the might of the Mercedes engine. He seems to think they had a relatively bad car by design all along, its just that the Mercedes engine back then was so strong compared to the competition that it overshadowed any shortfalls in the chassis/aero department.

Under his tenure at Lotus, they ran the Mercedes engine and the Renault engine, so he has something to compare to. He's done a few appearances on said podcast, very much worth a watch.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      02-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #25
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I wouldnt worry too much. There are so many variables during testing that you cant really compare the times between the teams. Not to mention Ferrari looked really quick last year during testing and failed to deliver. Its better to under promise and over deliver, especially in the case of Ferrari given how much the Italian media is invested in them.
It is still scary seeing them so show. It reminded me of the 2014 season. I'm sure they're not that slow but it's been a long dry run for us Ferrari fans.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #26
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Honda engine had a weird sound on Wednesday, yesterday it was sounding like it used to be.. today it sounds the best again and different than last year.. and instead of small fast pops like last year it seems this year it changed again like a JCW.. i like the pops and bangs with Honda engine at least like the way it is in the test today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
It is still scary seeing them so show. It reminded me of the 2014 season. I'm sure they're not that slow but it's been a long dry run for us Ferrari fans.
i watched quite a lot the 3 day test still keeping an eye and i dont know why but atmosphere in Ferrari garage is not that fun.. engine problem made it even worse.. not much smiley people around.. so far..
      02-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #27
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
Honda engine had a weird sound on Wednesday, yesterday it was sounding like it used to be.. today it sounds the best again and different than last year.. and instead of small fast pops like last year it seems this year it changed again like a JCW.. i like the pops and bangs with Honda engine at least like the way it is in the test today..

i watched quite a lot the 3 day test still keeping an eye and i dont know why but atmosphere in Ferrari garage is not that fun.. engine problem made it even worse.. not much smiley people around.. so far..
Binotto said they're not close to Mercedes but he's optimistic that they will be later in the season 🤦*♂️
Does F1TV offer refunds? I'm already done with the season.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #28
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
I have been listening to the audio of the commentators for the afternoon sessions (I'm in the US) for the past 3 days and it does seem very doom and gloom at Ferrari right now but I am not sure I buy it.

Binotto said: “I’m not as optimistic as last year and I think the others are faster than us at the moment.”

“How much faster is difficult to judge and we will pull the data in the coming days. But I don’t think we’re as fast as them at the moment. Do we have any concerns? Yes, when you are not as fast as you want to be, but I think it’s too early to define them so these three days have been very important. We have a clear picture which allows better understanding and what will be more important is to develop the car in the right direction.”

“Having said that, it’s a very long season, so there will be time to recover. But, let’s wait for next week and Australia to truly assess what’s the true performance of the car.”

Couple that with this image
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam...9col/image.jpg
and I am not sure I am buying the story. Either Ferrari is truly in a tough spot and somehow went from being the fastest in a straight line to almost the slowest, or they are sandbagging very hard in order to avoid a repeat of last year's expectations vs. season start performance.

In the end, I just want a good season with some good races. I enjoyed last year even though there were lots of complaints about it being boring watching Merc run away. Now if we can just get the TV crews to point the cameras at the action in the midpack, not the leader with a 15 second gap.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #29
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have been listening to the audio of the commentators for the afternoon sessions (I'm in the US) for the past 3 days and it does seem very doom and gloom at Ferrari right now but I am not sure I buy it.

Binotto said: “I’m not as optimistic as last year and I think the others are faster than us at the moment.”

“How much faster is difficult to judge and we will pull the data in the coming days. But I don’t think we’re as fast as them at the moment. Do we have any concerns? Yes, when you are not as fast as you want to be, but I think it’s too early to define them so these three days have been very important. We have a clear picture which allows better understanding and what will be more important is to develop the car in the right direction.”

“Having said that, it’s a very long season, so there will be time to recover. But, let’s wait for next week and Australia to truly assess what’s the true performance of the car.”

and I am not sure I am buying the story. Either Ferrari is truly in a tough spot and somehow went from being the fastest in a straight line to almost the slowest, or they are sandbagging very hard in order to avoid a repeat of last year's expectations vs. season start performance.

In the end, I just want a good season with some good races. I enjoyed last year even though there were lots of complaints about it being boring watching Merc run away. Now if we can just get the TV crews to point the cameras at the action in the midpack, not the leader with a 15 second gap.
I remember the graphic today showing Ferrari much faster than Mercedes at the speed trap. Alfa has a Ferrari engine and Ferrari claim they have an efficient car so their speed trap numbers should be much higher than that picture.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #30
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
I remember the graphic today showing Ferrari much faster than Mercedes at the speed trap. Alfa has a Ferrari engine and Ferrari claim they have an efficient car so their speed trap numbers should be much higher than that picture.
And then there's the anomaly that is the Haas, waaaayyyy down there.
Big grains of salt needed during testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #31
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:

Ricciardo said something really nice and right yesterday..
he said something like, every team except Merc should ve come up with new ideas and great solutions for being the best.. but they re the ones that still working hard and pushing us to be faster.. looking things from other side of the coin and its a great judgement at least for me.. its really not a coincidence they re the best.. cause they re still the most hardworking team still..
      02-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #32
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

not letting to embed again..

02-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #33
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

vs..
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
yco5722.50
      02-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #34
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Ferrari has some work to do.

Quote:
Unfortunately, team principal Mattia Binotto is not too thrilled about Ferrari’s progress. Evidently, some others agreed with him, namely Ferrari insider Leo Turrini. He wrote in his blog, “The first aerodynamic package of the SF1000 does not work. So far the problems of 2019 have not been solved. The car suffers from understeer and the performance on the dry lap are still far away from the Mercedes (and Red Bull) levels.”
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #35
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Differences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
vs..
Great pic!

1. The RB16 appears lower at the engine air inlet/camera.

2. The RB16 right front top suspension A-arm appears lower.

3. The RB16 right front brake air scoop appears much larger (this could be due to changing the scoop size for different tracks/ambient temperatures?)
      02-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Ferrari has some work to do.
Mate you nailed it . Because Ferrari is 2 full seconds slower than last year .
That's unseen for Ferrari . This means for the moment Ferrari is nowhere...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      02-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #37
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Great pic!

1. The RB16 appears lower at the engine air inlet/camera.

2. The RB16 right front top suspension A-arm appears lower.

3. The RB16 right front brake air scoop appears much larger (this could be due to changing the scoop size for different tracks/ambient temperatures?)
Spot on mate !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      02-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #38
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Valid points that Bruce has raised, the 16 is lower suspension arm 'hung' than the 11 as part of it's aero flow through the raised upper rear suspension arm.I expect the 16 may be faster on the straights because of this and has caught up to Merc with the slow speed corners with that planned configuration.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #39
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Valid points that Bruce has raised, the 16 is lower suspension arm 'hung' than the 11 as part of it's aero flow through the raised upper rear suspension arm.I expect the 16 may be faster on the straights because of this and has caught up to Merc with the slow speed corners with that planned configuration.
Merc has DAS / The RB16 has Adrian Newey

We will see it my friend within 18 days and 5 hours ....

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      02-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Merc has DAS / The RB16 has Adrian Newey

We will see it my friend within 18 days and 5 hours ....
Not even Merc can buy off Newey,the greatest F1 aerodynamicist.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #41
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Newey

Quote:
Not even Merc can buy off Newey,the greatest F1 aerodynamicist.
Well said - this is a great read about OBE Adrian Newey:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...sh-f1-designer
      02-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #42
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Amazing read, glad you put in on now I know much more about this amazing man.
I am prompted to purchase his book....

https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Car...2490563&sr=1-1
      02-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #43
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

I may be tempted myself,at 14$ it won't break the bank purchasing his autobiography when I finish this other book on diet I've started reading.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #44
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I may be tempted myself,at 14$ it won't break the bank purchasing his autobiography when I finish this other book on diet I've started reading.
My friends ...Here you can download the book "for free" => https://tpb.party/torrent/23149290/H...s_Greatest_For

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
yco5722.50