BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board So if you had $50K to invest, where would you put it?

04-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #309
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

it does seem like the panic is dying down a bit and now may be the time to get in.. at least with index funds. The cases and death in NY have definitely started dropping off. as much as I want to pull the trigger now, I think i'll wait a few days.

I'm a bit concerned as to what might happen if the UK prime minister Boris Johnson croaks in the next few days... it went from 'oh he's just going to the hospital for routine tests, he's fine"... to "he's in the ICU now". that kind of news would instill a lot of panic and be front page on every news channel.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #310
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
it does seem like the panic is dying down a bit and now may be the time to get in.. at least with index funds. The cases and death in NY have definitely started dropping off. as much as I want to pull the trigger now, I think i'll wait a few days.

I'm a bit concerned as to what might happen if the UK prime minister Boris Johnson croaks in the next few days... it went from 'oh he's just going to the hospital for routine tests, he's fine"... to "he's in the ICU now". that kind of news would instill a lot of panic and be front page on every news channel.
I'd wait. Most scientific research is predicting the number of infections/deaths to increase until at least mid/late April.

And I do agree with you on the Boris Johnson statement. If he goes.....that's going to cause some shockwaves.
Appreciate 5
      04-07-2020, 05:30 AM   #311
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Very strange movements yesterday. The Pharma's with covid-possible products all seemed to go down, and the travel & leisure stocks went up, like problem over.
That might be corrected today, but did pharma see it's (relative) high already?

Murf
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #312
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Glad to see I'm not the only one puzzled by the rally.

I'm staying cash for now.
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      04-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #313
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Oil... tough to actually call this one as it bounces around.

- OPEC+ production cut Thursday (Maybe Oil goes up?)
- G20 probably won't agree to cut on the first group meeting (Maybe Oil goes down?)
- G20 will reconvene (Maybe Oil goes up?)
- Employment numbers will come out...unemployment will go up (Maybe Oil goes down?)
- Economy is not requiring the over supply, demand will be less (Maybe Oil goes down?)
- Economy in Q3 comes back on track, demand is diminishing oversupply (Maybe Oil goes up?)

Seriously, I've got myself in both positions. Unfortunately heavy on bull and still down overall. But the bear seams to have less reasons to stay in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #314
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Anyone able to give a noob a little advice?

I sent in several orders last night as I felt we would have another surge today. Stocks like MGM, EAT and USFD. Market opens and they are all over 15%gains with no orders placed. Is it just because the market moved faster than the purchases could be made? Advice on how to do it differently?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #315
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

So you wanted to buy pre-market?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #316
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
So you wanted to buy pre-market?
Nah, I just placed orders to trigger a buy when the market opened. Like I said I am a noob and may not understand how it works. I even reissued those orders at a higher rate after the market opened and they didn't go through. I finally cancelled them as the stocks started to pull back. Maybe trades get slowed down with activity?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #317
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '00 MCoupe, '11 E90 M3

Here's an idea.

Buy 70/30 or 80/20 (if you're under 40) of VTI/BND and sit back and relax for the next 20-30 years.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Nah, I just placed orders to trigger a buy when the market opened. Like I said I am a noob and may not understand how it works. I even reissued those orders at a higher rate after the market opened and they didn't go through. I finally cancelled them as the stocks started to pull back. Maybe trades get slowed down with activity?
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      04-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #318
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Here's an idea.

Buy 70/30 or 80/20 (if you're under 40) of VTI/BND and sit back and relax for the next 20-30 years.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
I am already invested in those ways. This is a side project I am doing. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #319
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Who's your broker?

Was it a limit order?

Quote:
Here's an idea.

-Mark in St. Louis
How can you offer that advice when you have no idea what his goals are
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      04-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #320
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Who's your broker?

Was it a limit order?

Quote:
Here's an idea.

-Mark in St. Louis
Using TDAM

It was a limit order as that's the default and I have not messed around with the options there. That may be the issue. I actually didn't know there were different ways to purchase. Looks like I need to study some more.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #321
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Who's your broker?

Was it a limit order?

Quote:
Here's an idea.

-Mark in St. Louis
Using TDAM

It was a limit order as that's the default and I have not messed around with the options there. That may be the issue. I actually didn't know there were different ways to purchase. Looks like I need to study some more.
Yea I am a DA. Big difference in market and limit.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 11:35 PM   #322
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Total noob here needs help lol.....what you guys think about long term Starbucks at 68 and short term VYGR and IMMU (if immu drops down to 10 again)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #323
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Total noob here needs help lol.....what you guys think about long term Starbucks at 68 and short term VYGR and IMMU (if immu drops down to 10 again)
Starbucks is good in the long run or we are all screwed lol. If IMMU drops 10 again I will buy it but that is the same as taking tips from the kid that bagged your groceries today if you had to get out for some.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      04-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #324
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Chipotle hasn't hit norovirus levels yet and this is a global pandemic, lol. Everything is still riding way too high unfortunately. I am long NVDA, TXN, and XLNX. I don't like to pick stocks out of industries I am not very familiar with.

Last edited by chris719; 04-07-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2186.00
      04-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #325
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Don’t understand why people are looking at stocks that haven’t gone down that much. What you should be looking at are companies that have gone down so much in the last 2-3 months. Once all this is over it will go back up. Like I mentioned before, Live Nation was a great buy at $20-22 and is still a good buy at low 30’s. Airlines stocks can be good because they won’t go out of business. Who the hell will fly people if they do?

Watched Royal Caribbean stock for a week or so. When it dropped to $22.50 (lowest was about $20 on March 18th) I snatched it up. For some reason I had a good inkling about Carnival Cruise Lines too so bought some of their shares for $8. Earlier today, before the drop, RCL was up $40 and CCL was $12. Airlines stocks are 1/3 what they were 2 months ago. Cruise lines stocks are 1/5-1/6 of what they were 2-3 months ago. That’s what I would buy. If you have extra cash and plan for long term investment you should make your money back and more, much more.

American Express and Boeing Company are good stocks to keep an eye out for.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
tigermack466.00
      04-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #326
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Don’t understand why people are looking at stocks that haven’t gone down that much. What you should be looking at are companies that have gone down so much in the last 2-3 months. Once all this is over it will go back up. Like I mentioned before, Live Nation was a great buy at $20-22 and is still a good buy at low 30’s. Airlines stocks can be good because they won’t go out of business. Who the hell will fly people if they do?

Watched Royal Caribbean stock for a week or so. When it dropped to $22.50 (lowest was about $20 on March 18th) I snatched it up. For some reason I had a good inkling about Carnival Cruise Lines too so bought some of their shares for $8. Earlier today, before the drop, RCL was up $40 and CCL was $12. Airlines stocks are 1/3 what they were 2 months ago. Cruise lines stocks are 1/5-1/6 of what they were 2-3 months ago. That’s what I would buy. If you have extra cash and plan for long term investment you should make your money back and more, much more.

American Express and Boeing Company are good stocks to keep an eye out for.

Same thinking here. I finally looked at my retirement last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought...down around 16%. Most of my stuff is in Vanguard.

But I'm like you...PK is at $7.36 and was in the $30 dollar range. There are quite a few out there like that that you could make some decent returns off of, and still allow yourself to be "frugal" with what you put in.

Cruise lines, Hotels, etc......eventually they are coming back and I hope with a vengeance. And at the price they are selling at, you can diversify across quite a few of them without a major outlay of cash....and end up seeing some big returns.

And let me add again....if only I had listened to my boss about BA...I could have made $8K in 2 days time!
      04-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #327
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Same thinking here. I finally looked at my retirement last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought...down around 16%. Most of my stuff is in Vanguard.

But I'm like you...PK is at $7.36 and was in the $30 dollar range. There are quite a few out there like that that you could make some decent returns off of, and still allow yourself to be "frugal" with what you put in.

Cruise lines, Hotels, etc......eventually they are coming back and I hope with a vengeance. And at the price they are selling at, you can diversify across quite a few of them without a major outlay of cash....and end up seeing some big returns.

And let me add again....if only I had listened to my boss about BA...I could have made $8K in 2 days time!
Haha yeah. BA wasn’t on my radar until last week and at that point it was already quite higher vs week of March 16. Still can be a goos buy as it’s less than half of what it was.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #328
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternshade View Post
..We even had a planned trip to check out property in Greece this spring.
Do you have any connection to Greece? What's the business plan for such investment?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #329
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

Hotels, flights that got hit the strongest are definitely coming back (most of them)...but have they reached the bottom yet..that’s the real question
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #330
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Hotels, flights that got hit the strongest are definitely coming back (most of them)...but have they reached the bottom yet..that’s the real question
I'm waiting to see how Quarterly Earnings filter through....see what happens...then decide!