BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Spare Wheel

03-13-2020, 05:31 AM   #23
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Just to update. Another Dealership has confirmed I can have one and I have ordered through them. As they are an authorised BMW dealer by selling me one they have approved its use.
      03-13-2020, 06:49 AM   #24
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Am picking up the Spacesaver kit tomorrow. Can someone tell me what the kit comprises and a heads up on how to install please. Pics would be great.
      03-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #25
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Mine was pre-installed when I picked up the car, but from memory the jack was in a massive polystyrene rectangular crate that took up about one-third of the underfloor boot space, and the space-saver was held down to the floor with a long bolt and a round plastic cover above it. I bought a tyre bag from Amazon to wrap the space-saver, and to cover a regular wheel should you have to remove it. I've got a photo somewhere...

I moved the jack to a boot bag along with some other bits and bobs. The original is unnecessarily large.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Beagler74.50
Peter_R255.50
      03-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #26
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
Mine was pre-installed when I picked up the car, but from memory the jack was in a massive polystyrene rectangular crate that took up about one-third of the underfloor boot space, and the space-saver was held down to the floor with a long bolt and a round plastic cover above it. I bought a tyre bag from Amazon to wrap the space-saver, and to cover a regular wheel should you have to remove it. I've got a photo somewhere...

I moved the jack to a boot bag along with some other bits and bobs. The original is unnecessarily large.
Clive thank you for your help that gives me some good info. The cover is a great idea and I’ll get one of those.
      03-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #27
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

There's a thread (pardon the pun) on the forum here where someone had to find the captive nut in the boot floor to screw a bolt down into. It may be of use as I don't know if the kit you are buying will include this. You might have to dig out part numbers if you want to use the OEM bolt down mechanism.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      03-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #28
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Am picking up the Spacesaver kit tomorrow. Can someone tell me what the kit comprises and a heads up on how to install please. Pics would be great.
Beagler,

I recently retrofitted my spare kit for the trunk under storage area. Here's how I did it:

1. Remove storage liner tray to reveal the threaded hole for the wing bolt. See attached pic. The hole is just right of the center point on the cross bar. The tray will come out with a bit of force after removing all the clips.
2. Drill hole in the tray. Use a small diameter drill bit first to ensure you're on the mark. Then, enlarge with a wider drill bit. The hole position is roughly 12.75 inches when measuring from the front to rear, and 13.5 inches from the passenger to driver side with the tray removed. Once you find the right spot, I recommend enlarging with the tray not installed to avoid drilling into the metal underbody. Tip: If you have a paint pen, draw a ring around the threaded hole then press the tray in quickly. If you do it fast enough, the paint should transfer onto the underside of the tray and show you exactly where to drill. If you dont, it may take a bit of trial and error with small pilot holes.
3. Reinstall liner and test fit wing bolt can be screwed in properly. Enlarge hole in tray as needed.

Here are the BMW part numbers: wing screw is 07119908728. Cover to hold down spare is 36106857383. To do a full install, theres a bracket that screws into the side, but I opted to not install it.

I bought the cover and ended up not using it because I couldn't store items on top of the wheel with the cover on. I ended up repurposing a circular plastic ring that fit into the hole deep enough to screw in the wing nut and also had a raised outer lip to hold the wheel down from moving.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your install.
Attached Images

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 03-13-2020 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      03-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #29
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, picked up the spacesaver kit this morning and put this all nice and neat into the foam storage. Planned on drilling plastic bit in boot later. Just got an email from BMW Uk

Good afternoon Graham

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I have checked your vehicle specifications and it shows that you have the M Sport braking system and this option is not compatible with the Space Saver storage.

I hope that this has answered your query but if I could be of any further assistance, please get back in touch.

Kind regards

Amani

Dealer has agreed to a refund.

To be fair to them system says I can have one but doesnt account for M Sport larger calipers. ........... Bummer.
      03-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #30
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealer refunded money and are contacting BMW Uk to get them to amend their catalogue to exclude cars with Msport brakes listing spacesaver availability.
      03-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
Voicyboy
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Dealer refunded money and are contacting BMW Uk to get them to amend their catalogue to exclude cars with Msport brakes listing spacesaver availability.
Hi Graham, I have the 2019 M Sport facelift but without the upgraded M Sport brakes so would be interested in the BMW part no. for the spare wheel kit and approximate cost. I did not select the run-flat tyres after reading reviews on how noisy they were. Unfortunately I got a puncture after only about 650 miles, luckily it was in November so swapped out to my winter set and now need to to find someone to do the puncture repair without damaging the alloy.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #32
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voicyboy View Post
Hi Graham, I have the 2019 M Sport facelift but without the upgraded M Sport brakes so would be interested in the BMW part no. for the spare wheel kit and approximate cost. I did not select the run-flat tyres after reading reviews on how noisy they were. Unfortunately I got a puncture after only about 650 miles, luckily it was in November so swapped out to my winter set and now need to to find someone to do the puncture repair without damaging the alloy.

There are several sites on the net that will sell you a Spacesaver kit. I wanted to get one from the BMW Dealer so that if there was an issue with the XDrive I could blame the Dealer as they had not only supplied it but sanctioned its use. It aint cheap from Dealer ................. £500. If you go to the BMW dealer they will supply based on your Vin Num. don't need part numbers. There are several bits to the kit. Jack, wheel brace, wheel chock, plastic wheel disc cover, two foam storage parts, wing bolt, tie belt. Cant think of anything else.
      03-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #33
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't realise that the after-market cost from a dealer was £500!?!? The option cost at order time was £75. That's quite a markup!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #34
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I didn't realise that the after-market cost from a dealer was £500!?!? The option cost at order time was £75. That's quite a markup!!
If you got it from the factory you would not need the gunge and compressor so there is a cost offset for them. Peanuts probably
      04-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #35
gmregister
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
So, picked up the spacesaver kit this morning and put this all nice and neat into the foam storage. Planned on drilling plastic bit in boot later. Just got an email from BMW Uk

Good afternoon Graham

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I have checked your vehicle specifications and it shows that you have the M Sport braking system and this option is not compatible with the Space Saver storage.

I hope that this has answered your query but if I could be of any further assistance, please get back in touch.

Kind regards

Amani

Dealer has agreed to a refund.

To be fair to them system says I can have one but doesnt account for M Sport larger calipers. ........... Bummer.
Might this vendor's spare tire accommodate the larger M Sport brake calipers?
https://modernspare.com/product/2016...e-kit-options/
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      04-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #36
NorcalMike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmregister View Post
Might this vendor's spare tire accommodate the larger M Sport brake calipers?
https://modernspare.com/product/2016...e-kit-options/
When I had the M sport brakes on my 3 series I had to use a spacer to clear the calipers. In the US the M sports on the 2016 have the same brakes as the regular X1s. So probably trial and error
      04-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #37
dderos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Steering Vibration

We experienced a vibration in the steering wheel when you initiate a turn (left or right). We were told we needed new shock mounts. So, we had them replaced and now they are telling us there is still a slight vibration and that we need a new steering rack. The car has ~55K miles. Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #38
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

For UK drivers.
I have just ordered an X1 Drive 2.0i M Sport. To be built when the factory starts producing around 18th May 2020.
There is no mention anywhere in the April 2020 literature concerning Run Flat Tyres, and because this question about RF flats and the space saver wheel/tyre keeps cropping up I queried the dealership today.
They rang the factory and confirmed my car is on standard tyres. I had already ordered in the specification the space saver and jack and that comes to £150.
There are no issues with the newer X Drive system with regards to tyres on these cars because it is now predominantly a front-wheel-drive system. There might have been on my previous f25 X3 that was rear-wheel drive that "supposedly" suffered from transmission wind up. See the following thread:
https://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php...-wind-up.1615/
The jury is still out on that!

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-13-2020 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #39
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
For UK drivers.
I have just ordered an X1 Drive 2.0i M Sport. To be built when the factory starts producing around 18th May 2020.
There is no mention anywhere in the April 2020 literature concerning Run Flat Tyres, and because this question about RF flats and the space saver wheel/tyre keeps cropping up I queried the dealership today.
They rang the factory and confirmed my car is on standard tyres. I had already ordered in the specification the space saver and jack and that comes to £150.
There are no issues with the newer X Drive system with regards to tyres on these cars because it is now predominantly a front-wheel-drive system. There might have been on my previous f25 X3 that was rear-wheel drive that "supposedly" suffered from transmission wind up. See the following thread:
https://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php...-wind-up.1615/
The jury is still out on that!

The problem only arises if you choose MSport brakes otherwise you can have a Spacesaver.
      05-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #40
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

I did purchase a set of wheels with winter tyres for my X3 about 5 years ago from the following site.
https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/
You will see they have an Oxford telephone number (code 01865) but they are in Germany. I think the office is in Wegberg.
I did not see a space-saver kit for the f48 on their site.
https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/op...are_wheel_kits
https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/BMW_Spare_Wheels.pdf

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-13-2020 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:19 AM   #41
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The problem only arises if you choose MSport brakes otherwise you can have a Spacesaver.
Yes. That also applies to other BMW models, not just the X1. Been there before and got the T shirt.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      05-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #42
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Beagler
I did read somewhere (it may have been on bimmerpost forum somewhere) that you can use a space-saver with M Sport brakes if you fit spacers with it. Perhaps not an ideal situation but nevertheless might be what people want.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #43
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Beagler
I did read somewhere (it may have been on bimmerpost forum somewhere) that you can use a space-saver with M Sport brakes if you fit spacers with it. Perhaps not an ideal situation but nevertheless might be what people want.
No wouldnt do that, cars under warranty and xtra load on wheel bearings etc. Thanks anyway.
      05-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #44
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

My 2p regarding the M-Sport brakes: they're on the front axle; if at all possible, you should avoid fitting the space saver to a front axle because of the size and weight bearing discrepancy, which creates safety issues. That means if you can, you would jack the car up, fit the space saver to the back, then replace the (flat) front wheel/tyre with the rear wheel/tyre
Appreciate 0