BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Battery Charging.

03-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #23
Giuseppean
Italy
Rep
Drives: 320d '09, X1 18d '20, 318is'95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Is it a big job to access the battery top to read which type is fitted?
Not at all, my friend. That's pretty easy. I show you.

1) open the bonnet and remove the gasket (is it correct gasket?) marked with number 2 by just pulling it away
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2579

2)Now you have to lift up a little bit the piece number 2 in this draw, as much as you can see the battery tag. If you see the pic of my battery, you understand what i mean
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_A664
Is not necessary to remove completely the pladtic, you just lift it up.
You will see that you have to remove the plastic rivets number 6 in order to lift that plastic up. In order to do that, you just take a couple of flathead screwdriver and gently lift the head of the rivet. When you will able to pull it with your hands, pull it with your hands
No worries about breaking the rivets, they are soft and come off preatty easily if you use 2 screwdriver to start lifting them up.

3)go backwards and close the bonnet

If you have to remove the battery instead, that could be a pain in the ass
Appreciate 2
Beagler74.50
iceman7117.00
      03-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppean View Post

1) open the bonnet and remove the gasket (is it correct gasket?) marked with number 2 by just pulling it away

2)Now you have to lift up a little bit the piece number 2 in this draw, as much as you can see the battery tag. If you see the pic of my battery, you understand what i mean
You will see that you have to remove the plastic rivets number 6 in order to lift that plastic up. In order to do that, you just take a couple of flathead screwdriver and gently lift the head of the rivet. When you will able to pull it with your hands, pull it with your hands
No worries about breaking the rivets, they are soft and come off preatty easily if you use 2 screwdriver to start lifting them up.

Grazie mille
      03-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #25
Giuseppean
Italy
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #26
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Not sure I understand all this tek talk. However I can confirm the battery is charged to capacity. Car now locked safely in my garage. Next to it is a relatively low tek 1955 Alvis TC21/100. It has points, and condensers and the fuel pump is glass. Simple!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #27
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Got this from Dealer.

Good morning Graham,

I hope this email finds you well.

Looking at your vehicle information I can confirm that the vehicle is fitted with a AGM battery.

Kind regards

Stewart

This site gives some info

https://www.racshop.co.uk/car-batter...tomatic/169666

Last edited by Beagler; 03-31-2020 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #28
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppean View Post

Excellent info thanks. I just followed the instructions and it only took a few moments to lift off the rubber gasket, followed by the two plastic rivets. The upshot is that I have a 70Ah AGM battery that is badged BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #29
Giuseppean
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Excellent info thanks. I just followed the instructions and it only took a few moments to lift off the rubber gasket, followed by the two plastic rivets. The upshot is that I have a 70Ah AGM battery that is badged BMW.
Very nice, thanks for the info. So 70ah, but agm. I don't know what's their criteria for mounting different technology, at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #30
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe its because,

AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost.

..... which mine has.
      03-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #31
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Maybe its because,

AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost.

..... which mine has.
Perhaps it could also be because in Southern Europe the climate places lesser demands on the car battery than here in the perishing cold north (UK).
Anyway, I think I've said enough on this topic!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #32
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...8C/ECE/61_2815

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/en/Ba...-EFB-batteries

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:36 AM   #33
Giuseppean
Italy
Rep

Same as mine, same product code.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #34
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Just checked my F48 UK xDrive 20i xLine Auto April 2016 build and I have a 80Ah AGM BMW battery
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #35
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a new CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger that I had delivered on Friday from Halfords. Easy to set up and use and gives peace of mind that I can keep the battery up to scratch whilst mileage has virtually evaporated. I see it also seems to be more or less identical to what is badged BMW on their ebay store (more costly too).
I remember looking at this almost 4 years ago when my X1 was new (can't believe it is 4 years) and found that the MXS 5.0 was the same as the BMW branded charger although I never got around to buying one.

However, your post prompted me into action and I also ordered from Halfords as Amazon delivery date was end of April. Arrived yesterday and on the car now charging up.

I also bought the 2.5m Extension Cable, the Comfort Indicator and the Bumper - all in use now.

The Bumper fits around the charger and protects it from knocks. The Comfort Indicator plugs in the 12V socket and indicates the state of charge (although you can also charge the car through its connector). It indicates Green - OK, Yellow - Charge or Flashing Red - Charge NOW! I know it is Flashing Red because that is what mine was indicating . My wife's Mini is also Flashing Red (not been used in about three weeks).
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill_P; 04-03-2020 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #36
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I plumped for the msx 10 simply because I always go overboard with what I need. I have an old Accumate 3 and it was ok but this Ctek is brilliant. I have an old caravan battery bought end of 2012. I put it on the recon mode and it now has sprung back into life. Can the Ctek charge from the power sockets. My BMW bike an R1200RT has a Canbus system so use this plugged into power socket and Canbus mode selected. I think it keeps the socket live when ignition is switched off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimate-4-...s%2C138&sr=8-7

Last edited by Beagler; 04-03-2020 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:50 AM   #37
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
I remember looking at this almost 4 years ago when my X1 was new (can't believe it is 4 years) and found that the MXS 5.0 was the same as the BMW branded charger although I never got around to buying one.

However, your post prompted me into action and I also ordered from Halfords as Amazon delivery date was end of April. Arrived yesterday and on the car now charging up.

I also bought the 2.5m Extension Cable, the Comfort Indicator and the Bumper - all in use now.

The Bumper fits around the charger and protects it from knocks. The Comfort Indicator plugs in the 12V socket and indicates the state of charge (although you can also charge the car through its connector). It indicates Green - OK, Yellow - Charge or Flashing Red - Charge NOW! I know it is Flashing Red because that is what mine was indicating . My wife's Mini is also Flashing Red (not been used in about three weeks).
Pleased you found my post to be helpful. The only thing I would add is that The X1 Drivers Guide specifically states that a charger should only be connected to the jump start points under the bonnet/hood, but not not the in-car sockets because the potential high voltages can overload or damage the in-car electrical circuits. You mention the Comfort Indicator, which you plug into the in-car socket. I have a similar product that is very useful, but which connects only to the under bonnet terminals. I previously used that to check the battery state (and also the charging rate) prior to buying the CTEK and can use it now when I haven’t got the charger connected. The CTEK indicator lights effectively show me the battery state at any time via its range of LED indicators. The extension leads are a good idea, but I’m fortunate in that when my car is garaged, if I open the bonnet I can connect the charger cable to a power point a couple of feet in front of the car. I can easily check on progress just by opening the door from our utility room and having a quick look. The ‘bumper’ guard looks very useful and I may get that.

Last edited by oakey46; 04-04-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:58 AM   #38
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pleased you found my post to be helpful. The only thing I would add is that The X1 Drivers Guide specifically states that a charger should only be connected to the jump start points under the bonnet/hood, but not not the in-car sockets because the potential high voltages can overload or damage the in-car electrical circuits. You mention the Comfort Indicator, which you plug into the in-car socket. I have a similar product that is very useful, but which connects only to the under bonnet terminals. I previously used that to check the battery state (and also the charging rate) prior to buying the CTEK and can use it now when I haven’t got the charger connected. The CTEK indicator lights effectively show me the battery state at any time via its range of LED indicators. The extension leads are a good idea, but I’m fortunate in that when my car is garaged, if I open the bonnet I can connect the charger cable to a power point a couple of feet in front of the car. I can easily check on progress just by opening the door from our utility room and having a quick look. The ‘bumper’ guard looks very useful and I may get that.
Agreed - I was sceptical about trying to charge through the 12V socket via the Comfort Indicator. Anyway, connected to the Jump Start points under the bonnet yesterday and had finished charging by evening but left it on overnight. Now for the Mini and trying to find what battery that has - expecting 70Ah AGM as it is the 3 cylinder 1500cc
Appreciate 1
oakey46158.50
      04-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #39
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I wonder why this charger has a Canbus mode that enables you to plug in to the power socket of a Bmw bike and The X1 manual only allows jump start terminal connection. This charger also it seems, is only for bikes yet both vehicles are Canbus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimate-4-...s%2C138&sr=8-7
      04-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #40
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found out Optimate 4 Bmw Canbus is only suitable for batteries up to 50ah.
      04-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #41
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Battery Charging/Checking Battery

I have a BMW automatic "trickle" charger that I throw on when we come back from trips longer than a week or two...brings battery up to snuff in a few hours. With the COVID19 "lock down"...I'll be doing this to both vehicles every couple of weeks.
To access battery you need to remove plastic "rain shield" at the back on the engine compartment...there a just a couple of fasteners ("expanding rivets") and a rubber trim strip that need to be removed to allow you to lift cover off...front part clips into the rear part. Lift up front edge to release clips. Here's liink:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rvo/1VnYtKH5Do
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #42
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
I have a BMW automatic "trickle" charger that I throw on when we come back from trips longer than a week or two...brings battery up to snuff in a few hours. With the COVID19 "lock down"...I'll be doing this to both vehicles every couple of weeks.
To access battery you need to remove plastic "rain shield" at the back on the engine compartment...there a just a couple of fasteners ("expanding rivets") and a rubber trim strip that need to be removed to allow you to lift cover off...front part clips into the rear part. Lift up front edge to release clips. Here's liink:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rvo/1VnYtKH5Do
All you need to do is connect the charger leads to the jump start terminals, which is how the owners handbook for my UK X1 says you must do it. There's no need to remove the shield you mention - have a look at other posts on this topic and it should clarify fully for you and have a look at what it says in your Owners Handbook (UK version is around page 280, but may be different for USA versions).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #43
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - I was sceptical about trying to charge through the 12V socket via the Comfort Indicator. Anyway, connected to the Jump Start points under the bonnet yesterday and had finished charging by evening but left it on overnight. Now for the Mini and trying to find what battery that has - expecting 70Ah AGM as it is the 3 cylinder 1500cc
Turns out the Mini was a 70Ah EFB battery - just as well I checked
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #44
sdp77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:

The Bumper fits around the charger and protects it from knocks.
Hi.
Do you happen to know if the bumper fits the original BMW charger as well?
Appreciate 0