BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 M variant

02-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

X1 M variant

To all X1 owners.. so I'm sure this may have came up before but being BMW is making an m performance model for just about every series, why haven't they done so with the X1?? I get that it is front wheel biased, but comparing to the x3 it is smaller, less weight, and lower to the ground. In my opinion, it would make for a great m40i model? Add m sport breaks, suspension, drop it half an inch or would be the perfect vehicle imo. Basically add some more power and tweak the suspension a bit on the current msport version.. thoughts?? Possibility?
They now have the 2 series gran coupe 🤔🤔

Last edited by beemerlover13; 02-16-2020 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Added content
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

There is the F39 X2 M35i, F40 M135i and F44 M235i and they are all based on the same platform as the X1 so there is no technical reason for not having an F48 M35i. My guess for not having one is simply that those who buy the X1 are not looking for high end SUVs and are not willing to pay the price. If you are willing to pay what an X1 M35i would could then you will most likely be looking at either the X2 or X3 anyway.
      02-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
There is the F39 X2 M35i, F40 M135i and F44 M235i and they are all based on the same platform as the X1 so there is no technical reason for not having an F48 M35i. My guess for not having one is simply that those who buy the X1 are not looking for high end SUVs and are not willing to pay the price. If you are willing to pay what an X1 M35i would could then you will most likely be looking at either the X2 or X3 anyway.
Great response! You have some very valid points. I guess it comes down to personal preference to me. I like the styling on the x1 better than the x1 and the x3 sis taller, but has less rear legroom than the x1. I have an '18 x1 msport. Just wish it had a better exhaust, some more power, and a tad lower, and stiffer suspension..
.. it would be perfect imo
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2020, 01:15 AM   #4
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlover13 View Post
Quote:
Great response! You have some very valid points. I guess it comes down to personal preference to me. I like the styling on the x1 better than the x1 and the x3 sis taller, but has less rear legroom than the x1. I have an '18 x1 msport. Just wish it had a better exhaust, some more power, and a tad lower, and stiffer suspension..
It would be great if BMW made an M35i X1, but until pigs fly, you can still accomplish what BMW failed to achieve.

Power: ECU Flash + Downpipe + High Flow Filter in Stock Air Box
Suspension: Koni Adaptive Shocks + Eibach Springs
Exhaust: Custom or SuperSprint
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      02-17-2020, 02:08 AM   #5
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
If you are willing to pay what an X1 M35i would could then you will most likely be looking at either the X2 or X3 anyway.
I would never be looking at an X2, because it is a worse car than the X1 in any way, for me at least. And to be honest, I would never be looking for an M-performance SUV anyways, while I can buy an M2 for roughly the same price..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
I would never be looking at an X2, because it is a worse car than the X1 in any way, for me at least. And to be honest, I would never be looking for an M-performance SUV anyways, while I can buy an M2 for roughly the same price..
I agree on the m2, but unfortunately it's not practical for my stage of life now, I do really like the m2 though! As far as m-performance suv's I'm on the fence about them. I like the practicality of them, but then I'm like it's still a truck and speed/handling should be left to the cars..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
It would be great if BMW made an M35i X1, but until pigs fly, you can still accomplish what BMW failed to achieve.

Very valid point, I could look into those options!! I wonder if the x3 m40i's exhaust will work on an x1..? 🤔🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
I agree on the m2, but unfortunately it's not practical for my stage of life now, I do really like the m2 though! As far as m-performance suv's I'm on the fence about them. I like the practicality of them, but then I'm like it's still a truck and speed/handling should be left to the cars..
I totally get what you say. I am coming from an F30 335i with M Performance Kit, and currently waiting for my X1 25i/28i to arrive. I needed something higher and started looking for a new car about two years ago. During my search I was hoping for an M35i version to come but I also realized that regardless the amount of power in an X1 it will never ever be the same as in a sedan or coupe (like my wifes M240i). So I accepted that the X1 would become an all rounder build for practicality and comfort rather than performance. Just the height of the car will prevent it feeling like a sports car even though it has the power. And to be honest the 25i/28i is not a slow car.
      02-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...but you'll still need the Haldex & TCU tune, but most of all, the front LSD. Oh, and warranty! :
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I totally get what you say. I am coming from an F30 335i with M Performance Kit, and currently waiting for my X1 25i/28i to arrive. I needed something higher and started looking for a new car about two years ago. During my search I was hoping for an M35i version to come but I also realized that regardless the amount of power in an X1 it will never ever be the same as in a sedan or coupe (like my wifes M240i). So I accepted that the X1 would become an all rounder build for practicality and comfort rather than performance. Just the height of the car will prevent it feeling like a sports car even though it has the power. And to be honest the 25i/28i is not a slow car.
I came out of a 320i rear wheel manual, and track handling package. I loved it, and I suppose I could've gotten snow tires and swapped them each season.. but I kinda liked the style of the x1 and with a baby on the way it seemed more practical. I do like it and the fact that it has very similar dimensions except for height as the previous 3 series. It def doesn't handle like my 3 series did, but that was to be expected. If it just had a bit sportier suspension and a tad more punch it would be perfect imo. I do not like the x2 styling at all either.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #11
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Have you tried the X1 with the M Sport package and its M Sport suspension (not adaotive) and the variable steering? It makes the X1 feel different and even a 18i sDrive feels "sporty" while cornering in that setup.
      02-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried the X1 with the M Sport package and its M Sport suspension (not adaotive) and the variable steering? It makes the X1 feel different and even a 18i sDrive feels "sporty" while cornering in that setup.
I do have the msport, but I don't notice much of a difference in suspension when putting it into sport though, onky higher rpms.. was it an add on, or part of the package?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
I do have the msport, but I don't notice much of a difference in suspension when putting it into sport though, onky higher rpms.. was it an add on, or part of the package?
Msport has firmer suspension than the other trims. It doesn't change when changing drive modes, unless you have the adaptive suspension option, I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

The adaptive suspension is an option. You can look up your car on www.mdecoder.com to see if you have it. If so it depends on the configuration of the sport mode setup. It can be configured to be chassis only, power train only or both combined. In chassis only and combined the dampers act differently whether you are in sports mode or not. If you don't have the adaptive suspension there will be no change when entering sports mode.

Here in Europe there is also the option to get the standard suspension as a free option when the M Sport model is chosen. So here you can have the soft suspension in a M sport model. Maybe you have the same option. The M Sport I tried was about the same harshness as my wifes M240i. Which caused me to avoid it.
      02-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #15
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The adaptive suspension is an option. You can look up your car on www.mdecoder.com to see if you have it. If so it depends on the configuration of the sport mode setup. It can be configured to be chassis only, power train only or both combined. In chassis only and combined the dampers act differently whether you are in sports mode or not. If you don't have the adaptive suspension there will be no change when entering sports mode.

Here in Europe there is also the option to get the standard suspension as a free option when the M Sport model is chosen. So here you can have the soft suspension in a M sport model. Maybe you have the same option. The M Sport I tried was about the same harshness as my wifes M240i. Which caused me to avoid it.
Thanks so much for that link, it does show m sport but doesn't list what's included besides steering wheel, anthracite headliner, and aerodynamics kit.. I wanna assume adaptive..I can't configure sport, you need sport + I believe to configure that, latest in my 3 series that's how it worked..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I was honestly so surprised they made the X2 m35i instead of it being in an X1. For that reason.. I just got the X2 m35i I do like the styling because it's more unique, it is a tad lower, and a tad shorter. Which .. is what the OP beemerlover13 wanted.. just with the X1 exterior!

My wife has a 16 x1 msport and although the msport bits are nice.. it's a completely different animal. Honestly speaking, the insides aren't a lot different, the sloping rear of the X2 makes it seem a little more cramped. Let's face it, the trunks are not huge either way. I'm sure someone with enough effort and drive could literally swap almost everything from an X2 into the X1 chassis so much is similar. I would think BMW would not recoup the difference in sales vs cost to build it. People are just interested in the base models. Even with what little X2's are on the road, there are even less m35i models.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I was honestly so surprised they made the X2 m35i instead of it being in an X1. For that reason.. I just got the X2 m35i I do like the styling because it's more unique, it is a tad lower, and a tad shorter. Which .. is what the OP beemerlover13 wanted.. just with the X1 exterior!

My wife has a 16 x1 msport and although the msport bits are nice.. it's a completely different animal. Honestly speaking, the insides aren't a lot different, the sloping rear of the X2 makes it seem a little more cramped. Let's face it, the trunks are not huge either way. I'm sure someone with enough effort and drive could literally swap almost everything from an X2 into the X1 chassis so much is similar. I would think BMW would not recoup the difference in sales vs cost to build it. People are just interested in the base models. Even with what little X2's are on the road, there are even less m35i models.
Yeah I was comparing the two x2 and x1 and the x1 fell short in some areas as far as room, which leads me to wish that they eliminate the x2 and add an x1 performance model and do away with the sline. Keep xdrive model and add a performance xdrive performance model. That would cover all buyers imo.. they did it now with the 2 series. They have a 2 series coup with an m performance model, the m2, the 2 series GC with a performance model. I'd be all over the x1 performance model even if the price went 5k up..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:38 AM   #18
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Quote:
Msport has firmer suspension than the other trims. It doesn't change when changing drive modes, unless you have the adaptive suspension option, I think.
That is correct, and has been discussed at some length in other threads
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:46 AM   #19
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...but you'll still need the Haldex & TCU tune, but most of all, the front LSD. Oh, and warranty! :
That would be ideal, but not needed. I currently run an Evolve Tune + Downpipe + High Flow Drop in Filter, along with Koni Special Adaptive Shocks with stock springs for my X1 28i M-Sport. The Aisin 8-Speed handles the TQ well and operates like stock, but with more noticeable power from 2K-6K. The Konis with the M-Sport springs allows the ride to be more taut and not as floaty on undulating road with flatter cornering ability. The shock/spring combo also allows the X1 to absorb irregular road surfaces better than the OEM M-Sport combo, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #20
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That would be ideal, but not needed. I currently run an Evolve Tune + Downpipe + High Flow Drop in Filter, along with Koni Special Adaptive Shocks with stock springs for my X1 28i M-Sport. The Aisin 8-Speed handles the TQ well and operates like stock, but with more noticeable power from 2K-6K. The Konis with the M-Sport springs allows the ride to be more taut and not as floaty on undulating road with flatter cornering ability. The shock/spring combo also allows the X1 to absorb irregular road surfaces better than the OEM M-Sport combo, IMO.
Yes, but you'll really appreciate faster F–>R torque transfer and less front traction slippage and torque steer. The LSD really makes a big improvement
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:01 AM   #21
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but you'll really appreciate faster F–>R torque transfer and less front traction slippage and torque steer. The LSD really makes a big improvement
True, fair enough
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #22
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I'd be really curious how different your X1 with the extra tune and goodies will compare. I have on occasion rung out our X1 and never have I felt any torque steer. With the extra ponies on the X2 m35i it's a good thing for the front LSD because it really really feels like a FWD car. I imagine, however, with the data of the regular b48 with tune getting close to the 300hp range it should be really close.
Appreciate 0