BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Fiberglass pre filter?

10-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #23
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Actually MB derated the claim to 375HP. Wonder what lead to the change.

The 20% higher boost might be most of the explanation for the diff from the M35i.

Quote:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/cl...a/suv/type-amg

Class-leading horsepower, crafted by hand

Its 375 hp is the most of any 4-cylinder in production. Its turbo boost maxes at an incredible 26.1 psi. And yet some of its numbers are impressively tiny, like its 2.0L size. Its 4.3-second 0-60 time. And the number of hands that build each one: a single pair. ** [4]

Competitive claim based on manufacturer-published horsepower data available at time of publication. May include 2018 models.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #24
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Ok, so I took it off and snapped some pics so you guys can see what's going on here.

I bit the bullet and took the filter off and I can tell you that it is a HUGE air restriction. I did a little unscientific test where I blew on a piece of paper and then put the filter in front and did again, couldnt even get it to move.

I figure if anything weird goes on I can just glue it back on like they did!

Anyone know what that round thing is on the filter box? They don't even show it on Realoem.
My e82 had the charcoal filter, it was completely separate from the air filter element, not like your pic at all.

The purpose of the charcoal filter was to stop hydrocarbon emissions leaving the intake when you switch the car off. A lot of people had said they found a small pool of oil inside the intake manifold when they changed to the three stage intake or were changing the valves on it. The carbon filter was there to trap the oil vapor between the engine and the atmosphere as well as any possible blow by gasses, and then suck them in when you turn the car back on.

When I removed the carbon filter on my car, it looked like a finer filter material than the one in your pic and in between the two layers was I charcoal or carbon. Cutting it out made an epic mess in my kitchen as that stuff got everywhere and was a PITA to clean out of the air box.
Appreciate 0