BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Tdi-tuning crtd4 multi channel with rpm petrol tuning box chip

09-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #67
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Didn't you measure it and how?
Here's the one I use. If you check the manual, we can officially run up to an E25 blend, issue free. http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

Using this and an app called E85 Mix I've been running 95 octane now for a couple of months at an E24/E25 avg blend. Butt dyno can definitely feel a difference in the mid range.
      09-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #68
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
Here's the one I use. If you check the manual, we can officially run up to an E25 blend, issue free. http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

Using this and an app called E85 Mix I've been running 95 octane now for a couple of months at an E24/E25 avg blend. Butt dyno can definitely feel a difference in the mid range.
What I was asking, was, is there a tool, way, via OBDII of sorts (like I had on my STI using Cobb Access Port), to see the current ethanol value in the 'tank'.

I'll look more into this today as well with the tools I currently have. Wasn't so concerned about this earlier, but now I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #69
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Being that today is Friday AM here in the states and ending the day in the UK, I doubt I'll have any updates as I haven't received a response from TDI. And that's OK.

Tomorrow, after I receive the Dragy, I will definitely provide some updates this Saturday/Sunday (weekend).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #70
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
What I was asking, was, is there a tool, way, via OBDII of sorts (like I had on my STI using Cobb Access Port), to see the current ethanol value in the 'tank'.

I'll look more into this today as well with the tools I currently have. Wasn't so concerned about this earlier, but now I'm curious.
Ah, that I don't know. However here in TX the Ethanol % range on the pump for E85 is from 51-83%. With that E85 Mix app and this calculator you can put together a blend that errs on the safer side of things.
      09-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #71
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post

Agreed, when I tried it (was running an errand for work so I had my company buy me 3 gallons of e85) it felt like the car was super responsive and punchy.

As for calculations, you can worst case it and never go over but probably never get anywhere near 95 either. With you having to run 91 you have a lot more to gain!

I used the calculator, based stock gas at 10% (some say no more than 15%) and then used 85% for the blend. Like connerry said, 85 might not be and probably isn't 85% but should be >50.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #72
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

From TDI:

Thanks for the detailed reply. It has been very informative. I am glad to hear that the box is now performing as it should be, mostly.

With regards to the power gains, we have worked on that for you and the system reflash is ready for you to download.

We normally tune to 97 up which is what our maps run best on but your 92 is roughly equivalent to our 95-96 which would be sufficient with the map we would have supplied you with in the update.

If you use the following credentials to access it and let us know how it goes:

{I downloaded and installed the new maps successfully}.

I will test and provide results and hopefully Dragy comparisons this weekend!

Stay tuned!
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #73
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Super cool that it can be updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #74
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Absolutely! Very easy. Also it's all encrypted and coded to each individual who purchased the system. Appeared to be 38 files (or something like that).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #75
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

TDI Tuning –

• I wanted to report on some more testing that I had done with the new tune installed that I downloaded today.
• I travelled about 30 miles in all my testing of scenarios. More than yesterday.
• I did pay attention to the stock OBD II readout via OBDII dongle and using OBD Fusion on my IOS device.
• Mile two I had found a Shell Gas Station with 93 Octane. I filled up 70% of the tank with this.
• I didn’t switch as much between stock (tuner box off) and tuner box on. Just a little bit because it was evident that the tuning box was doing something better, not equal, and not worse – a little more, like yesterday.
• I mainly kept the tuner box on, and always set to mode 7.

Some verbal recording of notes that I took and transcribed here:
1. Off the line it feels strong. Not crazy like I would hope, but noticeable. In everyday traffic similar.
2. The tuning box maps and overall shift points are so much better than stock. So much more noticeable.
3. Everything is more smooth from what I observe.
4. It seems to pull pretty well. I would say out of a scale of 1-5, where 5 is where I desire, it’s a 2.
5. I am not sure if my testing ‘felt’ like more power than yesterday. I think I was able to concentrate more and this was day 2 with more experience.
6. The power seemed like it was more in everyday traffic like something was there but still nothing dramatic, like 2 out of 5.
7. The power on the highway seemed similar, very much like yesterday, 1 out of 5.
8. I did note that on the highway this time, there was no down stepping of RPMs in 500 RPM increments.
9. Something happens between 4000-5500RPM. Most noticeable on the highway, but also somewhat noticeable in everyday traffic. It seems and feels like a crossover point of sorts. Kind of feels like a Honda VTEC.
10. The last tune, yesterday, the OBDII was consistently showing a 20.6 max boost from what I remember. It is now showing 19.5-19.78 and goes up and down more.
11. Rarely, but sometimes at a non-reproducible moment I did see it spike to 21.8 and then settle back down. I did not see this yesterday, when I did turn on the software for just a little bit for curiosity sake.
12. Sometimes it shows 20.6, kind of like yesterday, but infrequently.
13. And stock readings today with the tuning box off was 22.6.

Comments:
1. I still definitely think there is room for improvement from me getting used to the system now.
2. I’d like my everyday driving experience with the tuning box go from a 2 out of 5 to at least a 4 or 5 out of 5. Highway, I would like 1 out of 5 to at least be 3 or 4 out of 5.
3. Generally speaking I definitely think now that I am running 93 and did some more metrics, I think this can be achieved.
4. Now I know we’re not supposed to compare what I see on the OBDII ECU readings, I have not received the Dragy, and it would cost me about $300 to put in a boost gauge off of the MAP sensor (I figured that all out).
5. But here are my thoughts:
6. Stock always consistently reads 22.6.
7. Yesterday the tune consistently read 20.6.
8. Today the tune is pretty consistent with 19.78.
9. I’m not sure how the voltages and mapping of your unit works to send these 20.6 and 19.78 readings to the ECU, but we do know for a fact that the ECU can read 22.6 without issue in stock form without failure.
10. I also don’t know what power is really being applied above stock. Without a boost gauge, it’s hard to tell. But it feels like 22 or 23 really close to stock but with a smoother map – that makes the difference.
11. 22.6 stock readings - 20.6 yesterday consistent and sometimes today readings = 2 PSI difference with the tuning box on 7
12. 22.6 stock readings -21.8 PSI (saw twice today) is .8 PSI (almost 1 PSI more) = 1 PSI difference with tuning box on 7
13. I truly wonder if you can increase the mapping to achieve a 2 PSI difference and increase to match stock readings of 22.6, which in theory is 22.6 PSI which equates to whatever you added on top of stock – hoping that this is closer to 25PSI-ish than 22.6.
14. I really don’t want to spend $300 for a boost gauge install of my own labor and parts if I don’t have to, on top of the $170 I spent on the Dragy to help in this testing.
15. Again, I know the OBDII values could be lower, but I’m not convinced with the numbers you advertise on your website.

Summary:
Maybe you can provide me another map?

Then I’ll do testing again and report back as well as re-do testing again with the Dragy.

Thanks for your support!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #76
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

you're going to have to pay these guys more money for the amount of work they're doing for you/the amount of work you're expecting from them lol
      09-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #77
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

lol don't be hatin'

I am just wanting moar powa for my dolla!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 09:04 PM   #78
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

gotta pay to play, baby!
      09-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #79
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

I am proving and disproving their advertisement of claims by partnering with them to male it all real.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #80
Rosa's keeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt, X2 M35i

appreciate the work you first adopters are doing!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #81
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Update. In continued conversations with TDI via Email. Top notch professionalism. Another and hopefully last map will be on it's way. Of course there are limitations with them being over the Pond and fine tuning, but we agree-to-agree to get it as close as possible.

Waiting for Dragy today.

Also, trying to finalize a Boost Gauge addition not reading OBDII but direct from engine. I may have found a plug-and-play system that just taps into the existing sensor vs. having to add an adapter and old school boost line, sending unit, and gauge from there.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #82
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Hello there,
  1. I just got home after driving 40 miles in all conditions.
  2. Results are similar as yesterday and the day before.
  3. I did receive the Dragy unit and drove to the locations that I usually do that are safe.
  4. The problem was that there was too much truck and pedestrian traffic - even in what I know are outskirts in the middle of farmland and isolated areas.
  5. I was not able to perform the Dragy Science Experiment to the point that I wanted.
  6. However, between Stock and TDI in similar conditions, the Dragy reported that the 0-60's were within 2/10th of a second either way.
  7. Meaning, one time the TDI was faster, the next Stock was faster and then TDI was slower and Stock was faster.
  8. The Dragy pretty much reported the performance was a wash with 2/10 of a second.
  9. In all four of the tests that I could perform, pretty much acceleration felt the same, with the TDI maps being smoother and something definitely happening between 4000-5500RPM (like Honda VTEC).
  10. In all the driving I had done today, in all scenarios, the TDI still seemed, maybe because of the smoother map like it did the last two days - something is there, but not dramatic - at all.
  11. Therefore, yes, I do want to 'feel' added more power on 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #83
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE

Just sent this to over the Pond...

Ward and TDI-Team,

Good evening (here in the USA).

I've thought long and hard about this endeavor that I had been working on with your team.

I think the facts are the facts:
  1. The power perceived is not the power I was hoping for.
  2. I cannot quantify due to lack of tooling with your product and external to your product the claims of power made on your website with the current map on the tuning xo
  3. I have thoroughly tested and invested a lot of time and effort into your product without success.
  4. Due to lack of logging and tuning capability via a mobile device to send logs to your team for inspection and rework, this has also been a problem.
  5. I do not wish to invest several hundred dollars more for a plug and play mount a boost gauge in my cabin solution to validate your tuning box.
  6. I'm also thinking due to different petrol here in the USA than in the UK, that is also a factor.
  7. Your team's professionalism has been excellent.
  8. The limitations in logging and tuning the box to my vehicle in the USA is a big factor.
  9. Even if I were to have your team work on a map, I still do not know what the power truly is, despite the feel. This is unsafe in my opinion.
  10. My requirement at this point is some type of logging and tuning.

With the above being said, please do not make another map for my vehicle, and advise how I can return the product for a full-refund.

I appreciate your assistance. THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #84
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Received a response from TDI. They're not too thrilled with me returning the unit but also understand that lack of reporting what the unit is doing in my vehicle is difficult beause they don't have software to show that and their physical facilities are over the pond. RMA # received, will be shipping it sometime this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #85
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Damn it. This science project is a donation to this forum at this point. I hate over-the-pond logistics and cost.

TDI is willing to do continue to try hard to please us. Despite them sending me an RMA and not being thrilled, I'm doing this for the sake of this community:

Ward -

Good afternoon/Good Evening -

I appreciate your support in providing me an RMA for the Tuning Box.

After looking into the cost of returning the box and VAT to over the Pond, it saddened me that it would cost more heartache and financial loss to do so with nothing in my pocket to show for it.

At this point this is a science project that I honestly do want to come down to a successful conclusion, despite my frustrations.

The only thing that really bugs me is not having a boost gauge or way to show what your Tuning Box is 'really' doing, purely from a boost additive point of view.

Therefore, despite my numerous prior Emails, let's do it. Please get me a MAP that will add 3PSI to my base vehicle on 93 octane.

Sorry for the back and forth. We're in it to win it!

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 10-05-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #86
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
And y'all scoffed at me spending a grand for an intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #87
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Yeah, you're right.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #88
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
haha

no, i mean, i'm scoffing at xcelir8bmw for spending like 2.5k on devices and supporting apps way more than i'm scoffing at you for a pretty intake.