BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Thinking of going from X6 to X2

09-10-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Thinking of going from X6 to X2

I've always had sports cars until the X6 last March. It's a gorgeous car inside and out, total luxury, but honestly the driving experience does nothing for me with a big heavy vehicle and I don't really need quite that much room.

Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on an X2 M Sport this week. Anything I should know? Any regrets to be had?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:10 AM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I guess the question is, do you have a 40i or 50i?

You’re giving up luxury with the x2, lots of it. Tech as well.

If you have a 50i I would definitely recommend the m35i, I have squared off against two x5 with the v8 and the m35i is a match. I would imagine the 28i being close to the 40i. Handling wise you’re definitely in for a treat. The car’s rawness compared to the x6 makes it feel faster too. I couldn’t even tell I was going anywhere with the x5 loaner I had, too quiet, no real feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
I love my X2M35, while I have never had a true "sports car" I have owned Acura TSXs and a GS Legend coupe, 2 out of 3 with sticks (first tsx was an auto), a few Saabs, an S70T5 Volvo in the 90s (another go fast version). and my first BMW was a 2013 335 stick base model. So my short answer is the car is a hoot to drive, handles well, is not as low slung as the sedans and for old guys like me my back is much happier.

billnchristy was very right about tech. iDrive6, no blind spot no 360 cameras, etc. also if you want the adaptive cruise control no heated steering wheel (which is a mystery I went for warm hands in upstate NY) and if you want the adaptive suspension only 19" wheels. I have it and like it. I have gotten a tad over 32 MPG on the highway and a around 20 in city driving, heavy foot

Give one a good shake down. If you are in to the tech try an x3 m40 Driven one as a loaner for a couple of weeks waiting on part (back up cell phone battery for the connected drive) and it was decent, too big for my taste but it might be an alternative if you the X2 isn't for you.

I cross shopped the Alfa Giulia (not the Q4), Volvo S60 with polestar and the X40, and the 330, The M440 wasn't out in April of 2019. Liked this way more than any thing else. It hit the right spot in performance, safety (big deal for Mrs. Rounderman) and some practicality. so there you have it no regrets and already thinking of 2022 when my lease is up. If they have upped the tech with Android Auto (not available currently and blind spot to appease the boss it will be a slam dunk on another one

have fun and good hunting

Last edited by rounderman; 09-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a 2017 X6 35i X-Drive, m-Sport, loaded up.

Looking at a 2018 X3 m-sport, about as loaded as those come. I will miss the blind spot warning system and 360 camera, and I'll need to upgrade the stereo with a Bimmertech amp (it's hifi, bummer), but honestly I won't miss anything else. The idrive system in the 2 is upgraded from the system in my 6, so that's good. I love the road feel and handling from the 2 over the 6 all day long.

The only other consideration is whether or not the 2 looks "age appropriate" for someone in their late 40s! I love it but don't want to look like a mid-life crisis driving around.

Was thinking about an Alfa Stelvio as well, but the interior just seems ordinary and the infotainment system is pretty bad.

Last edited by RacrX; 09-10-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Well my opinion is that if you are used to the power of the 35i then you definitely need the m35i.. of course if you're only used to stop and go traffic and never have to merge into traffic or get heavy on the foot, then maybe.... it might be ok. I think all the little sports bits like the exhaust makes a huge difference on the m35i. Tech wise if you like the idrive and don't miss things like those blind spot. I also had to say the new X3 I had as a loaner had this neat sonar thing for the front that the X2 didn't when I was coming out of a ramp/garage. The X6 feels like a big heavy vehicle because it is. So don't be surprised when the X2 feels very light, doesn't seem as smooth, makes more cabin noise etc. That can be perceived as race car.. or budget car

Age appropriate.. don't even think about it. Enjoy what you have.. the X2's are rare enough of a car, but it doesn't scream mid life crisis when a 50 yr old steps out of a c7 or c8.. 'Murica! That's just the norm. Frankly I see the BMW's around here so much that I don't expect any specific genre or age group.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One other question is it possible to put roof rails and racks on these vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Yes the rails are an option best to be ordered as is. It seems possible to put them on after, but a real pain in the butt to do it. As for what size rack/cross bars fits on it next.. no idea.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1582453

Another Edit.. I just remembered this gorgeous X2 Msport all done up and.. with cross bars installed.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=roof+rack
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice! Are people really tracking these cars or is that second one all for looks?

Also, thinking a JB4 tuning piggyback could get it reasonably close to the X3 35i level, no?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I think billnchristy is the only one that hit the tracks.. I have no time to myself. The X2 m35i already outperforms the X3 35i and I myself have put in the JB4. I think it's also safe and easy to say you could get away with just the JB+ or Dinan Sport tuner as I didn't really have much else to modify with the JB4, but the logging etc was good for me to know to start with.

If you get an X2 28i you could add the jb4 or dinan and then I would say it would get closer in performance or better than the X3 because of the lighter car. For me, however, those other qualities in the m35i trim made it well worth my while to start off with that it would take a lot of money in a 28i trim to make them come close. (Just thinking engine, brakes, exhaust alone).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post

The only other consideration is whether or not the 2 looks "age appropriate" for someone in their late 40s! I love it but don't want to look like a mid-life crisis driving around.
So what? I'm 50 (I don't look anywhere near it, but I am according to my driver's license and my mom) and I really enjoy this thing, when I get to actually wring it out anyway. Why worry about people who aren't paying your bills? Life's way too short for that. Beside, who's gonna have time to look in your window when they're staring at your taillights?
      09-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
So what? I'm 50 (I don't look anywhere near it, but I am according to my driver's license and my mom) and I really enjoy this thing, when I get to actually wring it out anyway. Why worry about people who aren't paying your bills? Life's way too short for that. Beside, who's gonna have time to look in your window when they're staring at your taillights?

Ha- true!

It really is a fun and well-built car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey also- what do you guys think about FWD vs AWD? I'm in SoCal, but I can definitely feel the difference, mostly the torque steer, and prefer the AWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Hey also- what do you guys think about FWD vs AWD? I'm in SoCal, but I can definitely feel the difference, mostly the torque steer, and prefer the AWD.
Recently picked up an X2 sDrive 2.8i M Sport and I've been really happy with it. As a point of reference, it replaced my wife's previous Lexus NX F Sport, so we are status quo in terms of drive wheels. going with AWD is a good option and it comes down to if the added cost is needed/worth it to your use. The AWD system is front biased one, but in the end it's still AWD. I've only noticed slight torque steer once where I was trying to invoke it on purpose (hard corner and mashing throttle) and it wasn't bad...if anything that could be partly due to lack of optimal traction with the RFTs. At the end of the day, I enjoy the X2 M Sport and am really happy with the purchase.

As others said, you will have a reduction in some luxury amenities going from an X6 to an X2, but you are still in the same BMW F chassis generation so it won't be as stark of a difference between a G chassis generation.

End of the day, the best advice I can give you is drive them both...between the X2 M Sport and the X3 M Sport, there are noticeable differences with give and takes on both sides. Though not an ideal example, theres's obviously differences between the X2 and X3M I have, but they both shine in their own right and usage. Hope that helps a bit.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:25 PM   #14
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

If you want a sportier drive and that's the main driver with downsizing, definitely go M35i. I test drove the M Sport too when I was shopping for my X2, and it's certainly peppy and sporty as well. It can get up and move real quick, no doubt.

But the M35i was just more fun and aggressive, while still feeling nicely....refined? Even my wife (who's not the biggest car geek at all) still laughs in a slightly sinister way every time she starts up our M35i and it makes all those fun pops and sputters you associate with a performance car.

Everytime I drive this thing I'm still shocked it's only a 4 cyl.
      09-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It is an amazing car for a 4 cyl for sure.

Was also considering the 2019 Stelvio, but not sure about reliability- there's a lot of anecdotal stuff out there but I can't get a handle on it for sure. Anyone here have some intel?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #16
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
It is an amazing car for a 4 cyl for sure.

Was also considering the 2019 Stelvio, but not sure about reliability- there's a lot of anecdotal stuff out there but I can't get a handle on it for sure. Anyone here have some intel?
I can't speak on it personally either, but my friend and his wife like there's enough to lease another when the 1st ones lease matured. But at the same time he has mentioned the potential issues of service and warranty support in the long run, but it wasn't too much of a concern for him given he is leasing.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #17
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Funny I was driving to work today and a nice shiny red Stelvio pulled up from behind, I actually thought he was going to try to race me.. but it turns out he was just rushing to wherever he was going. I noticed a few things: Boy is that red nice and deep looking, with matching brakes. Also the tail pipes look really nice and big.. quite pretty. I did briefly look at the Alfa Romeo cars but pricing and performance really didn't get me excited. Also the big triangle front end I'm not 100% sure it's grown on me yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
when I was cross shopping the biggest hindrance was dealer support. I surfed the Guilia version of this board and the consensus was fun car, can find some crazy deals, very hard to order if you have very specific wants. there is one Alfa dealer in town and they get mixed reviews on service and lousy on sales. When I test drove it felt like they were doing me a favor. quite the opposite at my BMW dealer, they are great to work with and service has been wonderfull. I am not a wrench so dealership for me is as important as the car.

in the end I am too risk averse to seriously consider an Alfa. the Guilia boards were full of reliability issues and waiting an incredible amount of time for parts and that was 2019 pre Covid. I still get summaries of top posts and will lots of issue threads along with the fan threads not unlike here 😁

as always enjoy the hunt, we are fortunate to be able to ponder these questions about cars
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I watched a lot of Giulia videos as well. I think one reviewer said it best when they said it's the kind of car you buy with your heart, not your mind. It's a passion play, a one night stand kind of situation.

You have to decide if you take that one night stand home for 3-6 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #20
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's a tough call for sure! The X2 is rock solid, the Stelvio unknown but really sexy and just the right size. Agreed on dealer support, that's my biggest issue. My BMW dealer here is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #21
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I'm so used to driving big cars that the X2 is so puny and agile. Since I only use it to go to work I don't really notice the smaller size much. It's apparent when say.. taking someone from the airport and noticing that the luggage is pretty limiting if you're taking more than one large piece and one small piece. However... with the seats flipped down and the cargo cover taken off you can still fit 4 full sized wheels with tires in it. It's a squeeze but it's do-able. My E60 could almost swallow up two wheels in the trunk alone, certainly if they were 16" wheels or skinny ones it would. The car itself is probably 2 ft or more longer (it barely fit in my garage where the X2 I can even open up the hatch with the door closed easily in the garage!).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #22
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Nobody buys the X2 because it's practical. But I think the X6 is just the same, only bigger. Personally, I don't understand the X6, but then again I chose the X2! You have to drive it to appreciate.
Appreciate 0