BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Car wash forced open my fuel door :(

08-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Car wash forced open my fuel door :(

Hi all,

I took my X1 to the car wash today, and the #$%^ wash forced open my fuel door latch.

See the pics below.
Name:  IMG_6975.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6976.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  53.6 KB

I know on the older E seres, there was a manual override for the fuel door. Does something like this exist for the F48 series?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Here's a link to "newTIS.info" listing of several topics concerning the fuel door and its operation:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ch?q=fuel+flap

Fwiw, anytime my X1 is unlocked I can open the fuel door with just a light press on this door, even though the keys aren't in my pocket or inside the car. Possibly the water pressure from the car wash was strong enough to release the latch and allow the fuel door to open.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

It looks like only a small plastic part, the bit that fits into the receptacle on the car body to latch it closed, is missing from the flap. Checking BMW Canada's parts information, the fuel flap is sold as a complete unit, so you may end up replacing it unless a dealer can separately source that small part.

The filler flap, or "fill-in flap" as BMW calls it, is p/n 51177359631 and MSRP is $61.67.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
I cannot tell you how pissed off I am about this. BMW is telling me that the part of broken and it will cost $500 Canadian to fix this (parts labor). WTF.

To me this is a CLEAR warranty issue. A simply car wash broke this item? Cmon WTF. Any suggestions how I can me make a big stink and have warranty pay for this.

Bull$h!t
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
DarthRadonis
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 28i Msport package

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but BMW is not under any fault here, neither is the car wash place. Was it a touchless car wash or the ones with the spinning rags on it? I never take any car i have owned to a non touchless car wash for that exact reason they may damage your car or paint.

In the US all car wash places have signs saying they are not responsible for damages to cars unless the car wash malfunctioned. Also BMW cannot plan every car wash on the planet where they sell cars to make sure something doesnt get broken.
Appreciate 0