10-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #45
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
This is what the Ace2 does. Taken from the User Manual,

The ACE 2 monitors its own power requirement in parking mode. After it has consumed a defined quantity of power, the radar system will be disabled and the car will only be monitored by the G sensor. The G sensor monitoring will also be disabled after a further defined quantity of power has been consumed, meaning that the ACE 2 will be shut down. This prevents the car's battery becoming drained so that the car can still be started.
The energy consumption and therefore the duration of possible monitoring depends on the activity of the ACE 2 in parking mode and on the condition of your car battery.
Please check the condition of your battery.
Sigh ... if only the FITCAMX had all these features and still keep the stealth look at the same price .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #46
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Could anyone here please guide me on how to open the plastic panel behind the rear view mirror?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #47
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

Just use the provided trim tool. Wedge it into the seem and pry it in. Takes a bit of fiddling and force, but once you disengage a clip or two you can get your fingers in and pry it open. I had more success starting closer to the front, near the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:06 AM   #48
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I need to start it from the center? Or the edges?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:53 AM   #49
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

I started from the center.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #50
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Center is fine for removal, and seriously the video on the Amazon link shows this.
Just press a bit in the middle and slide the trim remover in, if you have any questions as to how it's held together just look at the camera shell, it has the tabs in all the same places.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #51
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It was pain in the a** to get the harness fit in the shell. Took me an hour. Just want to confirm do you guys have this gap between the glass and the housing like mine or is it snug fit? Please confirm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #52
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookol View Post
Received the Fitcam a couple of days early and performed the install last evening.
Have to agree with Dianebrat that the instructions are totally worthless.
I received the correct wiring harness for my particular build that has the driver's assistance package with auto high beams, lane keeping warning, etc.

For my particular model, the wiring harness connected via a small red connector just below the windshield, not the one in the pictures or videos. I needed needle nose pliers in order to undo this connection as it is tight agains the windshield and the connector is small in size.

While initially confusing, the connection became obvious As it was the only red connector and looked exactly like the one in the harness.

Also agree with Dianebrat that closing up the housing was somewhat of an ass pain requiring manipulating the wires this way and that in order to have them fit in a fairly tight enclosure.

Once that was completed, I got my unit to connect to Road Cam this morning on iPhone IOS 13

First I opened the Wi-Fi tab in my IPhone settings and found the dash cam which showed up as CARDV-966b. Clicked on it, then entered the password "12345678"
Then I opened RoadCam app and it just worked.

Whole process took longer than I expected, but mostly that was due to struggles getting all the wiring to fit in order to close up the housing.

So far, so good. I will update this post in a week or two once I have tested to make sure that I haven't lost any important functions.
Even though I don't have auto highbeam or lane keep systems, the harness that I received too connected to that small red connector and trust me it was the most frustrating thing to unplug it without damaging anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:02 AM   #53
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
It was pain in the a** to get the harness fit in the shell. Took me an hour. Just want to confirm do you guys have this gap between the glass and the housing like mine or is it snug fit? Please confirm.
Guys could you check and confirm this please. My return window will close
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:17 AM   #54
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Guys could you check and confirm this please. My return window will close
I have a small gap as well. Smaller than yours. It has to do with the way the wiring harness is tucked. Took me a while to tuck it flat to reduce the gap.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #55
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can you please post a photo of your harness, so that I could arrange it like yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #56
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you please post a photo of your harness, so that I could arrange it like yours?
That would mean I would have to open up my cam cover again

Just try to tuck and lay them as flat as you can. Use small zip ties to consolidate certain areas of the wire loop for smaller foot print and spread out the foot print of the wiring harness to lay them as flat as possible. Only then, can you close the cover with a smaller gap. It just takes patience. You can do it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #57
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry I mean photo of the gap visible in your case
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #58
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I mean photo of the gap visible in your case
Will take a pix when I get home tonite
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #59
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #60
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the gap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #61
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok thanks. Btw does this dashcam void BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #62
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks. Btw does this dashcam void BMW warranty?
Only if it causes your auto headlight to not function or your lane change assist to not function. But if that occurs, all you need to do is remove it. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #63
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

But I've heard cases that BMW does keep a note of modifications installed when the car goes to any workshop for regular service. And if something goes wrong they do deny warranty claim. But this happens if the wires are spliced. Can anyone here confirm if using another harness without any cutting to the factory harness/wire would cause warranty issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #64
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But I've heard cases that BMW does keep a note of modifications installed when the car goes to any workshop for regular service. And if something goes wrong they do deny warranty claim. But this happens if the wires are spliced. Can anyone here confirm if using another harness without any cutting to the factory harness/wire would cause warranty issues?
What protections you have vary by country and region.
This is a non-invasive accessory and you just need to look at it logically, if you have an issue with wiring or anything that goes through the mirror wiring harness the odds are that you would not be covered.

However if a rear axle assembly breaks you would most likely be covered.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:21 AM   #65
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookol View Post
Received the Fitcam a couple of days early and performed the install last evening.
Have to agree with Dianebrat that the instructions are totally worthless.
I received the correct wiring harness for my particular build that has the driver's assistance package with auto high beams, lane keeping warning, etc.

For my particular model, the wiring harness connected via a small red connector just below the windshield, not the one in the pictures or videos. I needed needle nose pliers in order to undo this connection as it is tight agains the windshield and the connector is small in size.

While initially confusing, the connection became obvious As it was the only red connector and looked exactly like the one in the harness.

Also agree with Dianebrat that closing up the housing was somewhat of an ass pain requiring manipulating the wires this way and that in order to have them fit in a fairly tight enclosure.

Once that was completed, I got my unit to connect to Road Cam this morning on iPhone IOS 13

First I opened the Wi-Fi tab in my IPhone settings and found the dash cam which showed up as CARDV-966b. Clicked on it, then entered the password "12345678"
Then I opened RoadCam app and it just worked.

Whole process took longer than I expected, but mostly that was due to struggles getting all the wiring to fit in order to close up the housing.

So far, so good. I will update this post in a week or two once I have tested to make sure that I haven't lost any important functions.
By the way what is the correct way to unplug this type of harness. It has a lock at the bottom but that part does not flex. Can somebody share more info on this please.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #66
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By the way what is the correct way to unplug this type of harness. It has a lock at the bottom but that part does not flex. Can somebody share more info on this please.
You just pull, seriously, that's all, to be clear, grab the connector and pull, NOT the wires, that's not a lock to prevent removal.
Appreciate 0